Virgin Media Superhub "Self Upgrade" so far so very good (plus 2 Xbox Live Open NAT!)

magic martinmagic martin Posts: 594
Forum Member
✭✭
So today is the big day when I upgraded from 20Mb to 30Mb including the "upgrade" to using the Virgin Media Superhub (which arrived as arranged today) !

To be honest I was a bit nervous especially after hearing all these things about the Virgin Media Superhub and particularly as we often have 2 Xboxs on Xbox Live at the same time!

I just followed the simple instructions in the "Swapping you model with the Super Hub" leaflet and it worked a treat. After connecting the Hub to the Virgin network I phoned up the "Activation Line" and spoke to an "UK based" guy who took me through the next steps and advised me to wait atleast 10 minutes before powering the Hub off then on then waiting again and then connecting my PC. During this time the Hub seemed to perform a number of updates/reboots to presumably bring itself to the latest firmware. On reflection the advice to wait atleast 10 minutes before power interrupting and then wait a bit longer before connecting a PC seems very important to avoid any problems.

I then connected my PC (wired connection) checked my Speed which was something like 30.22Mb and 0.98Mb Up (my area hasn't been upgraded for quicker upload speeds yet).

With the PC still connected, I then connected the two Xbox 360s to the Hub (again wired to Hub directly) and both reported Open NAT online (one in Black Ops and one in MW2) then set up an Xbox Live GRAW 2 Game on one and checked the connection was full 5 green bars on the other and played for a couple of minutes with no problems. So despite what I had read, the Hub does seem to support 2 Xbox 360 on Xbox Live with Open NAT:)

So far I'm very pleased and hopefully this view won't change!

Well done Virgin!

Is everyone else happy ?

Martin :)

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Interesting report, thanks for sharing. I can't comment on my experience yet as I'm still waiting for my hub to arrive, hopefully it will get here within the next hour or so.

I'm still a bit worried about my Xbox 360 as I use a wireless adapter instead of an Ethernet cable. Hopefully I won't run into problems but I heard the SuperHub is Wireless N, whereas I think my adapter is Wireless G. Hopefully it's N compatible as well, or I'm going to be stuck.

Have you tried connecting anything wirelessly yet to the SuperHub, like a laptop for example? If so, how did that go? What security does it use?
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    So despite what I had read, the Hub does seem to support 2 Xbox 360 on Xbox Live with Open NAT:)
    That's because veryone keeps on confusing the Hub and the SuperHub when it comes to some issues.

The Hub still currently has issues with 2 Xboxes, but a fix is currently being tested

The SuperHub has been fine with it since it launched in December
  • magic martinmagic martin Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Have you tried connecting anything wirelessly yet to the SuperHub, like a laptop for example? If so, how did that go? What security does it use?

Sorry, no I only use wired and have switched off the Wireless.
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    That's because everyone keeps on confusing the Hub and the SuperHub when it comes to some issues.
    The Hub still currently has issues with 2 Xboxes, but a fix is currently being tested

The SuperHub has been fine with it since it launched in December

(As always) you are right Ben - there is alot of confusion for example the following link states "However some customers still prefer to use their own router instead of the Super Hub especially when wanting to support multiple Xboxes with an Open NAT which (at time of writing) the Superhub does not support."

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub

Anyway my (limited) experience matches your understanding that the SuperHub does support 2 Xboxs on Live with Open Nat. :)
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Ah, Hello again Martin :D

Im thinking of doing the same, just asked this question in the main upgrade topic, but glad it seems to be clear of NAT issues
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even now during the "Friday night rush" my connection is looking very good! - must be an advantage of being on the DOCSIS 3 :)

1142988751.png
  • SeawolfSeawolf Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I've had the superhub as well today and found it very simple as well.

No issues with the wired connection direct to my desktop, Xbox connect through the wireless connector with no issues,and laptop connected using a wireless usb stick first time and the signal seems to be stonger than my previous N router.

So far so good and appears to be a good piece of kit.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was wondering how the swap over worked, so thanks for that

what number do you have to phone? is it 0845 or 0870 or is there a regional number to call, as i'll be calling from my mobile. and how long did you have to wait to get answered, and how long were you on the phone for? also what time is the phone line open till?

i don't think i'll be able to phone until about 6.30pm when i get my hub, i hope i don't have to wait until the next day or it costs a fortune to call at 10p a minute

what type of power connection does the hub have? is it like the old modems (like an eight) so i don't need to swap power cables?

cheers
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    what type of power connection does the hub have? is it like the old modems (like an eight) so i don't need to swap power cables?
    It's a small power supply brick (but smaller and lighter than say the one for the old Scientific Atlanta modem that it replaced).
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to getting mine!!! I would never use a 360 on a wireless connection because it's not worth it, I like annoying the mrs too much by having a nice ethernet cable trailing round the skirting board :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    what number do you have to phone? is it 0845 or 0870 or is there a regional number to call, as i'll be calling from my mobile. and how long did you have to wait to get answered, and how long were you on the phone for? also what time is the phone line open till?

The Activation Phone number is an 0800 one (so you probably will have to pay for it if using your mobile). It is included in the "Swapping you model with the Super Hub" leaflet. Note - do not try to activate your new Hub over the internet as indicated in the big book* that comes in the self install pack as I read somewhere that it doesn't work and can cause problems. *The self install pack is a big box that includes lots of things/cables which appears to also allow for first time broadband installation if you previosly just had cable TV.

The Phone was answered within a few seconds after I had selected the right option number. I was probably only on the phone for less than 5 minutes to provide account details to confirm who I was etc and also the Hubs MAC Address then to wait for the tick Hub light to come on to indicate the remote activation had worked.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Activation Phone number is an 0800 one (so you probably will have to pay for it if using your mobile). It is included in the "Swapping you model with the Super Hub" leaflet. Note - do not try to activate your new Hub over the internet as indicated in the big book* that comes in the self install pack as I read somewhere that it doesn't work and can cause problems. *The self install pack is a big box that includes lots of things/cables which appears to also allow for first time broadband installation if you previosly just had cable TV.

The Phone was answered within a few seconds after I had selected the right option number. I was probably only on the phone for less than 5 minutes to provide account details to confirm who I was etc and also the Hubs MAC Address then to wait for the tick Hub light to come on to indicate the remote activation had worked.

that's brilliant, thanks. 0800 minutes can be used as part of my free minutes, but 0845 or 0870 cost 10p or 20p or more. it cost me £7 to call my bank back last month for a security check. i normally call them using the "outside the uk" numbers, but that was a special one i had to call
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's a small power supply brick (but smaller and lighter than say the one for the old Scientific Atlanta modem that it replaced).

thanks, it's completely different to my old motorola surfboard that just has a cable like the old cassette players. i have a jungle of wires underneath the desk so was hoping to avoid having to pull them out. i must have a million plug sockets filled in my flat. i just got another 4 way extension yesterday
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guys, got my Superhub today and it comes with an Ethernet cable and I was just wondering if anyone knew what length it is?? I literally got the box, opened it and had to go out shopping so I've not had chance to set it up yet. There's no markings on the cable, so I was wondering if anyone on here knew?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Hi.
    Glad to hear that there are people out there who are having success with the Superhub.
    Sadly this isn't my experience and I am going to try to cancel the upgrade and revert to my old modem/router set up on 20Mb.
    Superhub wireless signal is very poor, wireless speeds very poor and internet connection keeps dropping out.
    Call centre - no help at all.
    Not a good experience - wish I'd never upgraded.:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manster wrote: »
    Hi.
    Glad to hear that there are people out there who are having success with the Superhub.
    Sadly this isn't my experience and I am going to try to cancel the upgrade and revert to my old modem/router set up on 20Mb.
    Superhub wireless signal is very poor, wireless speeds very poor and internet connection keeps dropping out.
    Call centre - no help at all.
    Not a good experience - wish I'd never upgraded.:cry:
    If you are using a Vista or Windows 7 machine then go to your Device Manager and check to see if you have an Atheros wireless adaptor if so connect via cable to the hub and update the driver usually sorts it out.
    Forum Member
    Hi - thanks. Have already checked and have the latest Atheros driver :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I read from the above that some of you guys are able to connect to Virgin Media 50Mb service using the new (ish)Super Hub

I have just had this service installed previously having the 20Mb, standard virgin modem and my own Belkin N router all of which worked pretty well. But since having this service although my laptops are able to connect without issue i can not get my sons xbox to connect via wireless ( i also understand that best gaming is got by hard wire but incoming cable is upstairs and son likes to play downstairs with the projector and a large wall :-) )

Im not really techy minded in regards to wireless systems but previously had no issues connecting i just find signal - select it - enter passcode and away he goes. But this time it wont let me connect (although will find my network) Have tried entering the various addresses manually (IP - gateway etc) but still to no effect.

Virgin tech support was next to useless as all he done was to get me to rename SSID of network & restart modem which didnt work and only refered to the media support section who wants a subscription even before they will start to help which considering i am paying for one of the "top" packages i feel that perhaps better support is expected.

So question is how the heck do i get my son online with Xbox - help greatly appriciated. BTW Xbox is 360 S with built in wireless

Like Manster i am begining to regret upgrading and feel let down by there own support team in this issue and will proberley look at canceling the service by end of weekend (before 7 cooling off period ends).

Many thanks

Update :
    looking through settings once again i noticed PPPoE settings and not realising what these where googled and lo and behold they for Ethernet connection. Once i cleared these settings everything worked fine and dandy (son had put these in when he tried to connect himself before i got home!). Thought would post in case anyone else like me overlooked it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manster wrote: »
    Hi - thanks. Have already checked and have the latest Atheros driver :(

I'm in the same boat Manster.....

Sooo frustrating, if you find a solution, let me know:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I had a similar problem with slow response times but have cured it myself. I don't know if you've tried this but it worked for me.
    Go to the wireless settings page of your Super Hub & open Advance Settings/Services & disable the IP flood & Firewall settings. My Hub works just fine now.
    Forum Member
    Hi - did that (disabled Firewall and IP Flood) but it didn't make any difference.
    However, after a few days, the internet connection stabilised and although the wireless range was still a problem, I decided to stick with it. I have now set up an Access Point up in my office which has solved the problem I had with speeds etc., upstairs. Eventually - with no thanks to VM - I have a system I am very happy with. :D1154319810.png
    Forum Member
    I've have a similar problem with range, the Super Hub seems to drop a bar on the reception guage of my PC downstairs every now & then even though it's in the same position I've used at least 3 Routers before. Also I'm on the 30mb service & even though I've upgraded the network adapter the 2nd PC I run upstairs only receives about 20mb even with the downstairs one switched off. Can you pass on any info on what you've used to extend the range as I have been led to believe that the Super Hub doesn't work with range extenders.
    Many Thanks
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    I'm using the Edimax EW-7416APn Wireless-N Range Extender / Access Point (available from Amazon, E-buyer etc.) set up as a simple access point. I'm not sure if it will work wirelessly as an Access Point, but I have it connected via an ethernet cable running upstairs (I already had this in place as it used to run from the old VM modem to my router upstairs) and it gives me a full signal all over the house, achieving speeds in excess of the promised 30Mb.
    I tried using it as a range extender with no success.
    The signal I get from the Edimax is actually now stronger throughout the whole house than the Virgin Media 'Super'Hub - including in the room where the SuperHub is!!
    It took me a while to get it all working correctly (I'm no network expert) - but I'm so happy I persisted.:D
    Good luck - and I hope you manage to get everything working okay.
    Forum Member
    Many Thanks
    I had been looking at that setup, but unfortunately I can't hard wire the extender to upstairs. I guess I'll have to wait & see if Virgin bring out some sort of compatible wireless bridging software.

Thanks again
  • njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    I went for this upgrade too, to replace an NTL 250 modem on a 20mbps service, which was connected to a Netgear WNR3500.

I changed my delivery date, but now have two packs as one was delivered on both dates!

I unpacked the first Superhub and plugged it in without incident, but it could not be activated straight away for some unspecified reason. Someone from tech support had to call me back. I checked the logs on the Superhub and one of the entries said that a software download had failed due to an incorrect software version, but I've seen that on the NTL 250 logs in the past so that might not be relevant.

Tech Support called me back on the wrong number and when I eventually got their message all they'd said was to call the 0800 number to activate. By that time the Superhub had managed to connect to the Virgin Media network and all was well.

I'm surprised by how much slower the connection is for web pages. I see lots of "waiting for webpage" messages in Google Chrome. When I first opened my browser all the tabs were unable to connect and I got that quite a bit on the first day when navigating. Some pages did not load. This is its third day and it's only happened 5 or 6 times today, so hopefully it'll pick up over the next few days.

Very pleased with the speed of it. Done various speed tests and get between 29mbps and 30.3mbps down.