Peter Andre Upsetting The Locals In Malta

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Maltese are used to hearing this sort of thing as their folk music - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnjrfmuq_qg :eek:

So Katie would be right at home. Welcomed, in fact. :D

:D:D My cat jumped off the couch when the first gentleman started to sing. :eek:
  • quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luvnlight wrote: »
    I agree ^^^^

My maltese step grandfather and his family said the uproar is actually more about the fact that a 'foreigner' has been given the post, who has no links with the island. The feeling is that it should have been given to a Maltese celebrity. They would have been just as animated and vocal no matter who it was, if they had no link to the island.

Whatever you do, don't let the facts destroy the fun.:)
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Cym wrote: »
    "Best international male" "Cultural Ambassador" :confused: both titles are equally bewildering, PA may not have asked to be CA, but for it to get this far, he certainly didnt say no, the people of Malta said that for him ;)

You make it sound like the whole population of Malta have voiced their disapproval. :D

Let's put this into perspective:) What is the population of Malta? 400,000(approx)? Less than 1800 people have signed the petition...that is less than 1% of the population.

So, it would seem that the vast majority of the maltese people are not really that bothered by it.;)
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    You make it sound like the whole population of Malta have voiced their disapproval. :D

Let's put this into perspective:) What is the population of Malta? 400,000(approx)? Less than 1800 people have signed the petition...that is less than 1% of the population.

So, it would seem that the vast majority of the maltese people are not really that bothered by it.;)

Have you asked them all?

I would assume that, like here, most people don't know or care what he does. The fact that enough people have complained for it to be newsworthy is, in itself, funny.

As is the idea of PA being the cultural ambassador to anywhere.:D
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you asked them all?

I would assume that, like here, most people don't know or care what he does. The fact that enough people have complained for it to be newsworthy is, in itself, funny.

As is the idea of PA being the cultural ambassador to anywhere.:D

it must be the consolation prize for not wining DOTY this year, I bet Alex Reid will be in the running next year (for both prizes:eek: )
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

They haven't been able to sign the petition because they haven't stopped laughing yet.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you know that pretty much corresponds to the number of PA's Twitter followers that buy his music!:eek:
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Do you know that pretty much corresponds to the number of PA's Twitter followers that buy his music!:eek:

Ouch :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch :D:D
    Truth hurts! - Like all those petitioners complaining about the Tangoed Talent Vaccuum representing them in a cultural capacity! 1800 Maltese signatories would be the equivalent of around half a million Brits signing a petition which would make it a big deal indeed, Only 100k is needed to get something discussed by the Commons. If five times that amount signed something requesting Peter Andre be removed as an "ambassador", it wouldn't be dismissed so easily!
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    They haven't been able to sign the petition because they haven't stopped laughing yet.

..... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And he claimed to have been awarded this CA title for his charity work, he must have written that before all the objections came pouring in that publicly revealed the real commercial reason, just like he did with the harvey reunion lie :rolleyes:

And as for his claims of spoiling his g/f this valentines :rolleyes: according to OMG they double dated, never touched or kissed because he was too busy talking and checking his phone :confused: bet that made her feel really special, or maybe just like what she really is....a friend, just helping her friend out, in yet another of his media attention driven lies ;)
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And he claimed to have been awarded this CA title for his charity work, he must have written that before all the objections came pouring in that publicly revealed the real commercial reason, just like he did with the harvey reunion lie :rolleyes:

And as for his claims of spoiling his g/f this valentines :rolleyes: according to OMG they double dated, never touched or kissed because he was too busy talking and checking his phone :confused: bet that made her feel really special, or maybe just like what she really is....a friend, just helping her friend out, in yet another of his media attention driven lies ;)

I love just how well you've got him sussed Cym.:D
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member

That's very strangest... Is she his "beard"?
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This article from Malta today http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdetails/news/national/Valletta-mayor-councillor-clash-over-Peter-Andre-debacle-20130213 says that the leader who objected to the appointment had "nothing against Peter Andre per se ...And I think that the idea to nominate him was a good one. It just irked me that there was no proper consultation on it ... The only thing I sought to question him on was whether this would incur any expenses from the local council. He told me there wouldn't be, and that all the council would have to do would be to present Andre with a commemorative plaque."

So the story has more to do with political in-fighting than personal objections to Pete.

As for the Valentines story, Pete and Emily shared a box at the Royal Albert Hall with Kevin Pietersen and Jessica Taylor to watch Cirque du Soleil. Who knows if it was a pre-arranged double date or if they just happened to find themselves sitting together but in the circumstances I think it's understandable that they didn't go in for PDAs. Good to see that they avoided being papped.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    Good to see that they avoided being papped.

I bet it wasn't for want of trying :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This article from Malta today http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdetails/news/national/Valletta-mayor-councillor-clash-over-Peter-Andre-debacle-20130213 says that the leader who objected to the appointment had "nothing against Peter Andre per se ...And I think that the idea to nominate him was a good one. It just irked me that there was no proper consultation on it ... The only thing I sought to question him on was whether this would incur any expenses from the local council. He told me there wouldn't be, and that all the council would have to do would be to present Andre with a commemorative plaque."

So the story has more to do with political in-fighting than personal objections to Pete.

As for the Valentines story, Pete and Emily shared a box at the Royal Albert Hall with Kevin Pietersen and Jessica Taylor to watch Cirque du Soleil. Who knows if it was a pre-arranged double date or if they just happened to find themselves sitting together but in the circumstances I think it's understandable that they didn't go in for PDAs. Good to see that they avoided being papped.
    The story is the masses of objections from people in Malta and Valletta who had no say in the matter and seem angry and embarrassed by the council's decision vis a vis Andre as an ambassador for them.
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    The story is the masses of objections from people in Malta and Valletta who had no say in the matter and seem angry and embarrassed by the council's decision vis a vis Andre as an ambassador for them.

The anger seems more directed at the mayor for not having a public consultation and for selecting someone who is non-Maltese. Was Pete supposed to turn down the honour, surely that would have been more offensive to the locals?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he didn't.

The council of Valetta decided it would be a good idea to bestow this on him because he was voted "Best international male" at the Maltese music awards.and they also thought it would be a good idea because he could promote Valetta on his ITV2 programme.

I doubt he'd lose too much sleep if they took it away from him.:)

I lived in Malta years ago, there was only one record shop! (Just as you go into Valletta on the left). The main radio station that plays the same bloody 5 songs on repeat. I cant understand how they could have a music awards?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »
    I lived in Malta years ago, there was only one record shop! (Just as you go into Valletta on the left). The main radio station that plays the same bloody 5 songs on repeat. I cant understand how they could have a music awards?!

It does kinda explain how Peter Andre could invited though.

Poor the Maltesers.

I do love the fact that so many were motivated to complain. Such is the Power of Pa.

He should just tell em he loves his kids...they may not know that.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does kinda explain how Peter Andre could invited though.

Poor the Maltesers.

I do love the fact that so many were motivated to complain. Such is the Power of Pa.

Perhaps the Maltesers are resentful of the love the Ambassador of Cheese has for his kids. And this petition, while masquerading as a national pride issue, is secretly because they can't compete in the kid-loving arena.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious. :D:D Keep them coming. :):)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never know that either. He's kept that quiet for sure :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Perhaps the Maltesers are resentful of the love the Ambassador of Cheese has for his kids. And this petition, while masquerading as a national pride issue, is secretly because they can't compete in the kid-loving arena.
    Who can, Lexi? Who can? Fathers just did not love their kids before Pa came along and the rest of the world has such a long way to go to catch up.

Blondie X wrote: »
    I never know that either. He's kept that quiet for sure :eek:

See above, Blondie. He knows that this messianic "love" of which he spaketh is a new and potentially dangerous concept, so he tries hard not to ram it down people's throats.

If only they would leave him alone...WHY won't they leave him alone???

Won't someone (else) think of the children??
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who can, Lexi? Who can? Fathers just did not love their kids before Pa came along and the rest of the world has such a long way to go to catch up.

See above, Blondie. He knows that this messianic "love" of which he spaketh is a new and potentially dangerous concept, so he tries hard not to ram it down people's throats.

If only they would leave him alone...WHY won't they leave him alone???

Won't someone (else) think of the children??

Oh be fair!
    No-one with a normal,everyday Dad would be able to think of them as well as PA does.
    The man has won AWARDS for his selfless service to Daddydom ffs.
    We are truly not worthy.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The anger seems more directed at the mayor for not having a public consultation and for selecting someone who is non-Maltese. Was Pete supposed to turn down the honour, surely that would have been more offensive to the locals?
    Oh please!:rolleyes:Like those kind of negotiations take place in public! Peter Andre is incapable of turning down anything that will get him publicity (Marriage to Jordan, Mayonnaise lids for being Bestdadintheworld and now Cultural embarrassment to Malta.). I'm sure the Mayor just didn't decide to bestow the honour on him after seeing him at the Maltese awards! There would have been quiet approaches from one side to the other.