Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it that when Holly faces any kind of criticism, Philip feels that he has to do his Knight in shining armour routine and rush in to defend her?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/26/phillip-schofield-defends-holly-willoughbys-racy-voice-dress-after-bbc-is-plagued-with-complaints-god-forbid-they-might-see-a-woman-in-a-bikini-before-9pm-3858070/

I happen to agree that the people who complained about Holly's dress are sad, but it was a small minority of viewers. Wy the hell does it bother Philip so much? Has he forgotten that Holly is grown woman who works in a tough industry? Does he think that she's not capable of defending herself or taking it on the chin?

Quite frankly his fixation with Holly is a bit embarrassing. I think he obviously has a huge crush on her, totally unreciprocated on her part, and he looks like sad middle aged man fawning over a woman young enough to be his daughter.

Get a grip Phil!

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However in this instance I think he is right.

Those who complained are pathetic and obviously have far too much time on their hands.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those who complained are pathetic and obviously have far too much time on their hands.

He speaks out whenever anyone criticises Holly. She's a grown woman who can defend herself if she wishes, or maybe she just prefers to keep a dignified silence? Philip's ego won't allow him to do that though;)
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defending a friend and colleague by saying a few words on twitter. What a bastard. Hang him, I say.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I'm also not sure when someone sticking up for their mate because something to have a dig at :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Defending a friend and colleague by saying a few words on twitter. What a bastard. Hang him, I say.

She's a grown woman who should be able to defend herself. He can't help himself and comes in all guns blazing when anyone says anything negative about her.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Why is it that when Holly faces any kind of criticism, Philip feels that he has to do his Knight in shining armour routine and rush in to defend her?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/26/phillip-schofield-defends-holly-willoughbys-racy-voice-dress-after-bbc-is-plagued-with-complaints-god-forbid-they-might-see-a-woman-in-a-bikini-before-9pm-3858070/

I happen to agree that the people who complained about Holly's dress are sad, but it was a small minority of viewers. Wy the hell does it bother Philip so much? Has he forgotten that Holly is grown woman who works in a tough industry? Does he think that she's not capable of defending herself or taking it on the chin?

Quite frankly his fixation with Holly is a bit embarrassing. I think he obviously has a huge crush on her, totally unreciprocated on her part, and he looks like sad middle aged man fawning over a woman young enough to be his daughter.

Get a grip Phil!
    What do you do when someone slags off one of your mates?
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get a grip Phil!

I don't think Philip has a crush on her he is just being supportive of a colleague. He is always harping on how happy he is with his wife all the time. Perhaps he regards her as his daughter? My husband is always sticking up for a girl who works for him who is the same age as his own daughter and no way does he fancy her beleive me!:rolleyes:

As for Holly she does use her looks to get men on her side but I think that is true of a lot of pretty girls ... I used to do the same when I was a lot younger and a lot prettier.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is you see people who were watching the voice probably had daughters like 9 or 10 watching it so when she pops up on tv wearing a bit of cleavage the parents are thinking thats not right. Its aimed at family viewing so your gonna get the parents of young kids complaining when she wears an outfit showing some cleavage. I loved the way she looked hot as hell but you cant please all these people. She should be allowed to wear what she likes but then again it is the bbc were talking about.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Holly usually looks very nice boobies on show or not. I didn't like her outfit for the final she looked like an old pro from a western movie. That said Philip Schofield just irritates whatever he says or does. Get him off the TV or at least cut right down on his presenting monopoly.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I preferred Phil and Fern

This makes me LOL even now :D

[URL=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hf_zwJpm0[/URL]
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,811
    Forum Member
    Is she just on This Morning just because of her boobs, I saw another interview they did where she said nothing, literally the 'dumb blonde'.
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member

I didn't find the dress offensive but I didn't like it much either, if it had been one of the schofield daughters wearing it I wonder would he have been as supportive of them with their boobs exposed, I do think he is obsessed with holly though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    I have to admit I preferred Phil and Fern

This makes me LOL even now :D

[URL=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hf_zwJpm0[/URL]

Phil and Fern were great together. They were equals. With Holly I think she knows her place and that's to make him look good.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    The thing is you see people who were watching the voice probably had daughters like 9 or 10 watching it so when she pops up on tv wearing a bit of cleavage the parents are thinking thats not right. Its aimed at family viewing so your gonna get the parents of young kids complaining when she wears an outfit showing some cleavage. I loved the way she looked hot as hell but you cant please all these people. She should be allowed to wear what she likes but then again it is the bbc were talking about.

But what do those same parents' tell their kids when they do to the beach for the day because on any beach in Europe on a hot summer's day you will see far more.

the problem is that such an attitude promotes body guilt and body shame in the minds of those 9 and 10 year old girls, just as they start to become more aware of how they look and how others see them, and for a significant number that could lead to eating disorders or other issues.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a grip Phil!

Get a grip yourself. As has been said, he's speaking up for a friend and work colleague. Regardless of whether or not you're capable of defending yourself, it's nice to know you've got friends who will have your back and will show their support whether they've been asked to or not.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love em both.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    He has an opinion on everything

Having said that defending a friend is no bad thing, but clearly he is a man of few doubts, least of all about his own self importance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    He has an opinion on everything

Having said that defending a friend is no bad thing, but clearly he is a man of few doubts, least of all about his own self importance.

If he's self important for posting his own opinions on his own twitter account, so is everybody else. You could also apply the same logic to everyone who posts on here. Since when is having an opinion a bad thing? Do you prefer celebrities who blandly tow the party line and never speak out about anything?
    She's a grown woman who should be able to defend herself. He can't help himself and comes in all guns blazing when anyone says anything negative about her.

So in your world if you can defend yourself, no one should show you moral support. What a sad and lonely place it must be.

Most people - or at least most people I've come across - when they hear a friend being unfairly criticised, speak up on their behalf. I don't see compassion, solidarity and empathy as flaws, you apparently do.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't this just a comment he made on Twitter? Hardly coming out all guns blazing, is it? In fact, its kinda the point of Twitter, is it not?
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member

Oh dear ! you do keep ramming the point home that she's a {{{{{[grown woman}}}}}!!!, so what, if she was a mate of mine, I'd be jumping to her defence, it's all so petty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Wasn't this just a comment he made on Twitter? Hardly coming out all guns blazing, is it? In fact, its kinda the point of Twitter, is it not?

You're missing the point! What you think happened was he posted a tweet that likely took him less than a minute to write mentioning that a ridiculous news story involving his friend was in fact, ridiculous.

While that is what actually happened, the underlying subtext is that Phillip Schofield sees himself as some sort of silver-haired silver-screen matinee idol, avenging the wrongdoers who have cruelly slurred his good woman's name, and struts out at high noon onto the dusky plains with his twin Colt .45's aflame with burning passion and righteous anger to rain down justice upon the villainous questioners of Holly's moral purity and win the fair heart of his helpless, precious paramour (who he wants to boink, obvs).

At least I think that's the general consensus. ;)
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt she even cares. It wouldn't be the first time one of her dresses has sparked complaints and it probably won't be the last either.

Her bigger issue from Saturday was announcing the 'winner of The Voice 2003', which she took to Twitter to laugh about, so she obviously doesn't take herself too seriously anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for John Lesley getting accused of rape, Pip would still be crying into his Gordon the Gopher merchandise over his lost career
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    If it wasn't for John Lesley getting accused of rape, Pip would still be crying into his Gordon the Gopher merchandise over his lost career

Too true. Someone needs to remind him of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As of Pip doesn't look at these threads on DS... :)