Non vocal theme tunes which try to work in the show,s name

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Every time I watch the show and hear Harry South,s brilliant and timeless opening music what I like to do is sing

The Sweeney The Sweeney da ba da da daa da ba da da

The late great Ronnie Hazlelhurst had a habit of working the name of each show into the music any possible way he could

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister's always doing this with 'Loose Women' with the 'BA ba ba' at the end.
  • QusionQusion Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I remember a comedian doing a joke about the least imaginative theme tunes - he suggested:

Cagney and... Cagney and Lacey.
    Cagney and... Cagney and Lacey.
    Cagney and... Cagney and... Lacey.

Repeat to fade more or less.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim''ll Fix It for me and you, Jim'll Fix It for you.

Catchy eh ?
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbds1 wrote: »
    My sister's always doing this with 'Loose Women' with the 'BA ba ba' at the end.

I used to do that when I used to watch.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    There was an excellent programme about Kids TV where Oliver Postgate was talking about "The Clangers".

They showed the show to German TV executives who loved it, but the BBC were concerned about having to re-record the "Swanee whstle" vocal effects.

"But they are speaking in perfect German" was the reply
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    The first one that sprung to mind was the old Batman theme tune.

It actually sounds like people singing "Batman".
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall watching a programme about the making of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and the theme's composer, thinking himself to be something of a genius, demonstrated how you could sing the title to it, with a big smile, waggling finger and possibly bobbing head. That was cringeworthy.

I think that the theme tune for Emmerdale was composed so that it's original title could be sung along to it.

"Emmerdale Farm
    La la la la la la la la la...
    Emmerdale Farm
    etc"
  • RobRob Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who wants to be a millonaire does it quite well at the end.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    You've been Framed...doo dee doo doo...You've been Framed...derr derr der derrrr
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    'Allo 'Allo is the one that springs straight to mind. The accordion playing makes it sound like someone is actually saying the title. Actually, it sounds so much like it in my mind now, I can't remember if someone does actually sing on either the opening or closing credits. I'm sure they don't. And rather than checking on YouTube, I'm confident enough in posting this...!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    The instrumental opening credit of Blackadder II, Blackadder The Third and Blackadder Goes Forth also contain the part of the tune that makes you sing "Black-add-er" in your mind!
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Last of the Summer Wine. Im sure Ronnie Hazelhurst did this on purpose.
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,347
    Forum Member
    The first one that sprung to mind was the old Batman theme tune.

It actually sounds like people singing "Batman".

They were! :)
  • pjc229pjc229 Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    # Theme From a Summer Place
    From a Summer Place
    It's the Theme
    From a Summer Place
    #
    Forum Member
    They were! :)

I thought that it was a synth?
    Forum Member
    This explains my error.

" Batman Theme", the title song of the 1966 TV series, was composed by Neal Hefti. The song is built around a guitar hook reminiscent of spy film scores and surf music. It has a twelve bar blues progression, using only three chords until the coda. The eleven cries of "Batman!" are sung by a chorus of four tenors and four sopranos. A long held myth purports, that the chorus is actually a group of horns.rns. Adam West's book also fuels this rumor by claiming the chorus is instrumental, not vocal. However, Neal He

Hefti, the writer of the theme, stated that the chorus was made up of eight singers, one of whom jokingly wrote on his part, "word and music by Neal Hefti". Neal Hefti". TV's Biggest Hits published in 1996, focuscuses exclusively on TV theme songs, and includes an interview with Hefti about the creation of the Batman theme song. According to Burlingame, the song consisted of "bass guitar, low brass and percussion to create a driving rhythm, while an eight-voice chorus sings 'Batman!' in harmony[ 2] with the trumpets."[ 2] with the trumpets."

I was told, in the seventies, that it was a synth. I'm really disappointed that it is actually people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    THIS
    IS
    YOUR
    LIFE

da da
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I know this isnt on topic with the shows name etc but ever since i saw an episode of alan carrs chatty man where he played the eastenders theme tune whilst singing the line "anyone can fall in love do do do" i cant watch eastenders without singing that line in my head!
  • bee-geebee-gee Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Morse yet :cool:
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The theme to Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em has the title played on a piccolo spelt out in morse code.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first 8 series of Roseanne had an instrumental theme and by season 9 they had come up with lyrics which matched the instrumental version.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    THIS
    IS
    YOUR
    LIFE

da da

That came straight to mind for me!

When I was little I rather annoyingly used to sing
    DoctorWhoDoctorWhoDoctorWhoDoctorWho
    DoctorWhoDoctorWhoDoctorWhoDoctorWhooooooooo-oooooooooooooooooo whoooooooooo-oooooooo etc
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Off topic, but when students started doing that stupid dance to the Blockbusters closing credits I just wanted to kick their teeth in.
  • pjc229pjc229 Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad used to sing along to the Bergerac theme tune actually, now I think about it.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I know this isnt on topic with the shows name etc but ever since i saw an episode of alan carrs chatty man where he played the eastenders theme tune whilst singing the line "anyone can fall in love do do do" i cant watch eastenders without singing that line in my head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9CFcu8JRwAU#t=34s

:D