Glasgow 2014

wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,900
Forum Member
✭✭
Whilst accepting that its never going to be the same as the Olympics I have just been to, it should still be a good event. I have just registered for tickets.

Having never been to Scotland before I think its about time I went.

Comments

• rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not going.

The one thing I have learned is that no matter how much preparation you take, and no matter how many emails you receive assuring everything will be OK, big organizations like that can't cope with visitors with unusual or rare disabilities.

I swear if one more 'jobsworth' had tried to insist that I didn't have the right to use the mobility access entrances to bypass queues in the Olympic Park, my partner would have hit them

The olympics & paralympics were the first and last major events I shall attend

It's a darn site less stressful watching it on the tele.

EDIT: Thats not to say I didn't enjoy a lot of my time at the Games but it was just too much of an emotional rollercoaster ride, not knowing if the next person I dealt with would just wave me through upon seeing the aforesaid emails, or be a pain in the butt about it.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Manchester in 2002 and Edinburgh in 1986 and had a great time. The seating capacity at the venues are smaller and tickets for swimming and weightlifting for example go quickly. You'll enjoy hockey, boxing, squash (again should be in the Olympics), and bowls is a great sport to get involved in.

Glasgow will put on a great show. Accommodation shouldn't be a problem if you get tickets because you can stay as far as Edinburgh and train in daily.
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    And they have a good logo!
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Manchester for a few days too & thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely plan to go to Glasgow.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glasgow will put on a great show. Accommodation shouldn't be a problem if you get tickets because you can stay as far as Edinburgh and train in daily.

That would be safest.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    That would be safest.

Its also commutable from London - easyjet have a 7am flight to Glasgow from Gatwick with the last flight back being at 9.30pm. Just get in quick when they release their summer 2014 schedule!
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    At the moment, the Olympics are causing me to have the opposite feeling towards Glasgow 2014. Normally I'm really interested in the Commonwealth Games, this time I'm not at all. Its feeling, especially recently, like its be aimed as an Olympic light. Building upon the excitement, but it wont be the same.

I loved Manchester 2002, it was brilliant, and it stands out even now. But after the excitement of London 2012, I cant get excited about another multi sports event in the UK so soon. Its all about the rugby world cup in 2015 in England for me.

Glasgow has to be really careful, London 2012 will be a double edged sword, it will cause dramatic levels of interest, but also it will sky rocket expectations, and anything less than utter brilliance will end in disappointment
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    , like its be aimed as an Olympic light. Building upon the excitement, but it wont be the same.

That's the thing. It's not that. The title gives it away, it's Commonwealth, not world athletes. It's great of course, but it's not the Olympics
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Opaque wrote: »
    That's the thing. It's not that. The title gives it away, it's Commonwealth, not world athletes. It's great of course, but it's not the Olympics
    Which isnt the impression the organisers are trying to give, the first thing on the website at the moment is a message saying

"If you were glued to your television during the Olympics and wished you were part of it then don't miss your chance for Glasgow 2014"

They are trying to ride on the wave of London 2012, which is fine, but as I said, its a double edged sword they need to be really careful of.
    Forum Member
    Very much so!
    And however nice the area is it's still Glasgow not London
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I'm sure that Glasgow will host a good Commonwealth Games, it's just not the same without half of the countries in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    That would be safest.
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Its also commutable from London - easyjet have a 7am flight to Glasgow from Gatwick with the last flight back being at 9.30pm. Just get in quick when they release their summer 2014 schedule!

Ha, Ha, Oh, tempted as I am to enter into some Glasgow / Edinburgh rivalry, it has to be said you can have a perfectly pleasant stay in Glasgow :)
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be going.

Manchester 2002 - a great memory in the bank. The sun shone - everyone was happy and good humoured - saw Paula win her first major gold. Our tickets allowed us to take public transport to the stadium but we elected to walk with the crowd. Magic.

London 2012 - I hope when I unlock the memory bank I still feel the euphoria, the awe and the pulse racing excitement I felt as I watched world class athletes perform. Of course when it came to British athletes, decorum flew out of the wind as I cheered, stamped and screamed for our heroes.

Glasgow 2014 - be afraid, be very afraid.;)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested to see if they pull it off, certainly at the moment a lot of seats at Hampden do not offer a really good view (all of the East & West stands in fact), I dunno if they could make it a truely world class stadium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    While I'm sure that Glasgow will host a good Commonwealth Games, it's just not the same without half of the countries in the world.

Which goes to show that the Commonwealth Games is not for you. So you are right to choose not to go. It will never be the Olympics. Nothing else is to be fair not even the world athletics championships.

I will because I know what to expect. It will be rightly lower key with less emphasis on medal tables, more in the games themselves. You will meet people from the sub continent, Australians, South Africans and Canadians. There will be a cultural festival which Glasgow has great grounding in. The Locals will love it. I recall the atmosphere in Edinburgh in 1986 and how I fell in love with multi sports events by going there and deciding to go to Barcelona in 1992. I've been to every Olympics since and the great Melbourne Commonwealths in 2006. They were fantastic and not too long after the Sydney Olympics.

At Glasgow you'll get the cream of track cycling competing, fantastic swimming too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Which means you would have to leave the City at about 8.30 to make he flight back ruling out evening athletics and swimming programmes.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the organisers are fully aware it won't be anything like the Olympics, however that doesn't mean they can't mention them completely.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spent last weekend in Glasgow. I wouldn't recommend a day trip by air from London though - too much time spent at airports. Just stay there overnight.

I don't know how I'll feel at the time, but right now I just can't muster up any interest. It won't be a tube ride away for me like London 2012 was, and the gold medallists won't be the best in the world.

London 2012 has ruined all other sporting events for me. :D
  • PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still gutted I didn't get tickets for the Olympics, so I'm interested in going up to Glasgow, either the swimming or athletics or even the cycling.

And I know it's only the Commonwealth Games, but part of me fears that demand for tickets will be well high after all the London 2012 buzz. Well, I say fear because I want at least one ticket! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Just spent last weekend in Glasgow. I wouldn't recommend a day trip by air from London though - too much time spent at airports. Just stay there overnight.

I don't know how I'll feel at the time, but right now I just can't muster up any interest. It won't be a tube ride away for me like London 2012 was, and the gold medallists won't be the best in the world.London 2012 has ruined all other sporting events for me. :D

For the most part this is true. As there is no USA or China, then the swimming leaves a bit to be desired. Ditto this for the diving.

No China or Korea, so the badminton and table tennis takes a noticable nosedive.

But let's take a look on the bright side. In cycling, we get to see the young English pretenders take on Sir Chris Hoy as an adversary as opposed to having him as a team mate.

For the few fans of squash, netball and lawn bowls, these events ARE the Olympics for these sports. The contenders here would be the favourites for Olympic medals if they were in the Olympics.

Athletics is something of a mixed bag. No USA, Russia or Europe, so you are definitely missing something in the field. But just have a look at the mens track events. Most of the gold medallists are Commonwealth athletes. In fact, the only event that these nations failed to win was the 1500m!

It might sound controversial, but IMO the 5000m, 10000m and marathon Commonwealth golds are virtually as good as Olympic golds from a sporting point of view. Mo Farah will be up against about 90% of the Olympic fields he put firmly in their place. And those Africans will be thirsting for revenge!

And if Jessica Ennis thinks that the Commonwealths are an easy road to a hurdling gold then there is still the small matter of Sally Pearson to overcome - and she was one of those few superstars who actually did go to the disaster that was Delhi!

So I feel for the most part you are right and while it aint the Olympics, the events on the track should by themselves make these a memorable Games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still gutted I didn't get tickets for the Olympics, so I'm interested in going up to Glasgow, either the swimming or athletics or even the cycling.

And I know it's only the Commonwealth Games, but part of me fears that demand for tickets will be well high after all the London 2012 buzz. Well, I say fear because I want at least one ticket! :p

I bet that the organisers are wishing they had the funds to build a bigger athletics stadium! I reckon that the demand for the events on the track would be almost on the same scale as those for London.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course the Commonwealth Games are not the same as the Olympics as anyone who knows the history of the events will know and understand.

The CG are are a smaller, more intimate competition - always fun, always friendly.

If they choose to compete some of the best athletes in the world are eligible - cyclists both British and Australian: Athletics - a huge number of gold medals came from Commonwealth competitors (including a certain Mr. Bolt.) The Australians may have failed to deliver in the swimming pool in London - but even as I write they are looking into their poor showing and I have a feeling we'll see a very different Australian swimming squad in Glasgow. As for the diving - well the young Mr. Daley proved he is 3rd best in the world and but for one disastrous dive in the synchronised discipline (despite which they finished 4th) I reckon it's safe to say they would have won another medal.

Sadly there'll be no triathlon, no tennis (depriving Andy of competing for Scotland) and I imagine some other sports will be missing - but what the heck, take the games for what they are.

I see no reason why Glasgow should fail to deliver - Manchester pulled it off magnificently in 2002 We will still witness some of the best athletes in the world and the home crowd will raise the roof.

I'll be there and (whisper this) I wouldn't be surprised to see the Scots heading the medal table.
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely interested in going, couldn't get Olympic tickets :cry:
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    The Commonwealth Games will be good.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame Andy Murray was not at the parade in Glasgow today.