Archos 70 Titanium, Nexus 7 or Hyundai T7, which one?

2»

Comments

• sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dosent matter which one you go for, as long as it fits your requirements, budget, specs etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Got a nexus 7 for £120 secondhand , very very impressed withit ...
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All i can say is the people that are raving about the Nexus 7 are either deluded or just simply dont want to listen.

Having owned both (albeit the 80 version of the Archos Titanium) and the Archos was very much the equal for the nexus 7 in use and the Archos is much better built, just a shame the WiFi was poor.

When you look just how much Archos, albeit minus the GPS and Bluetooth are doing the Titanium range for the Google doing the Nexus 7 at a subsidised price spiel is a load of old bollocks. Its not subsidised like the Nexus 4 is thats for sure.

Yes the Nexus 7 is great (although mine has 2 screen defects that the Archos didnt have) but that doesn't mean every other tablet available is crap.

As for 4.2 being massively better then 4.1 then i think you need to go look at the changelog, half the features are of no use to the Nexus 7 whatsoever and a large percent of what are applicable are pretty tosh anyway, daydream for instance.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Nexus 7. You will always have the latest updates and the best software compatibility. Good screen and runs most stuff very smoothly.

You mean you might get the next big update for it, you wont always have the latest updates for it at all.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    so...

I overestimated the archos lol! some of you were right

The archos is very nice to hold and looks good. Cheap plastic buttons on it though. It was fast although when swiping through the menus, the motions were not butter smooth, fast but not that smooth motion. My main problem was the screen. The colours and brightness looked great but when typing it would only register my taps 8 times out of 10 - not very responsive.

I ordered a Nexus 7 today. Can any of you tell me that the screen is much more responsive? Like my S2 phone, the screen never fails to miss a touch.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered a Nexus 7 today. Can any of you tell me that the screen is much more responsive? Like my S2 phone, the screen never fails to miss a touch.

Yes it's much more sensitive to touch. I presume the Archos Titanium has a poor digitizer/software issue.
    Forum Member
    thanks cool

Titanium is decent for £100, I would have regretted not getting nexus though
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Nexus 7. You will always have the latest updates and the best software compatibility. Good screen and runs most stuff very smoothly.

I think there is a big difference between 4.1 and 4.2 especially for tablets

Always? I'm sure Google will stop supporting it eventually. Probably within 2 years.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    so...

I overestimated the archos lol! some of you were right

The archos is very nice to hold and looks good. Cheap plastic buttons on it though. It was fast although when swiping through the menus, the motions were not butter smooth, fast but not that smooth motion. My main problem was the screen. The colours and brightness looked great but when typing it would only register my taps 8 times out of 10 - not very responsive.

Hopefully, andersonsonson, you'll be getting a full refund back for the Archos and I'll wish you all the best in that respect. In a way, it's a shame to hear what it's like because Archos were at the forefront of the introduction of entertainment tablets. I guess their quality control needs to be improved now.
    Forum Member
    I bought it from currys online so under the distance selling regulations I can return it. As you can inspect the item then return. Don't like doing it because it means Currys makes a loss probably but I will buy a nexus from them.

I know the new nexus is coming out but can't be bothered waiting tbh
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

I don't think it will be a huge change from the one now anyway - more of an incremental upgrade.

So far anything I have done with my Nexus 7 it's done quickly and without any lag.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    I bought it from currys online so under the distance selling regulations I can return it. As you can inspect the item then return. Don't like doing it because it means Currys makes a loss probably but I will buy a nexus from them.

Well, I wouldn't worry about that because it's their fault in the first place for selling a product that is less than ideal.

One of the worst offenders in that respect is the Ideal World shopping channel and they knowingly sell sub-£100 tablets with a poor reputation. Not surprisingly, there's a high rate of returns and their feedback comments are justifiably filled with complaints.
    Forum Member
    Got the nexus and the difference between this and the archos is easily noticeable.
    The nexus screen looks sharper, is so much more responsive (main reason I prefer it). Also every motion, swiping, opening apps, is smooth and not a little jittery like the archos.

The archos was considerably lighter and the nexus is a litte heavy and bulky compared to it.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughters got a Nexus 7, and it is a fantastic all-rounder with good sound.

However I've been looking at a Momo20, it has excellent specs for the price and has a 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, and an SD card slot (currently retailing at £149.99). I've recommended this to my Mum who wanted a decent budget tablet, as is what I'd choose:

10.1 Inch Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean), IPS SCREEN - 1280 x 800 Resolution; WIFI; QUAD CORE - 4 X CORTEX A7; 8 X GPU; 10 Point Touch Screen, 16GB Storage, 2GB DDR3 Memory, HDMI & 3D Output - New Google Play Installed - Dual Camera 1.3MP Front & 2.0MP Rear Camera's - Flash 11.1 Pre-Installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ployer-Momo20-Quad-Resolution-Pre-Installed/dp/B00B5TSUXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365371875&sr=8-1&keywords=momo20
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the Nexus 7 for my daughter. Screen spontaneously shattered after 3 weeks (hairline cracks to upper left screen despite being kept in rigid case). Having looked online, there seems to be alot of reported incidences, linked to screen overheating or similar flaw.

Think I might have to bite the bullet and replace it with a mini ipad after all.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    I got the Nexus 7 for my daughter. Screen spontaneously shattered after 3 weeks (hairline cracks to upper left screen despite being kept in rigid case). Having looked online, there seems to be alot of reported incidences, linked to screen overheating or similar flaw.

Think I might have to bite the bullet and replace it with a mini ipad after all.

Because that won't have problems will it? :rolleyes:

Why don't you just replace the Nexus 7 with a new one. I can't say I have heard reports of this issue. It's an incredible tablet, especially for the price...
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »

My daughters had no issues with hers, it really is a great tablet, but I would still recommend the Momo20 for those looking for a larger screened cheaper, but brilliant specification alternative, best to buy from a UK based seller though.