SkyDrive name to be changed

albertdalbertd Posts: 14,334
Forum Member
✭✭
According to a BBC News report, Microsoft are having to change the name of SkyDrive to something else (as yet not disclosed, it seems) following a court ruling resulting from an action by BSkyB.

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically, nobody is allowed to use the three letters in the order 'sky' anywhere in any product name? Keeps the lawyers in work I suppose!
  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog is called Sky. Does that mean that I will have to change her name as well? :mad:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    My dog is called Sky. Does that mean that I will have to change her name as well? :mad:

Yes, it does
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    I detest Sky.....So I'll always refer to it as Skydrive, now I know it annoys them....:D;)
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I detest Sky.....So I'll always refer to it as Skydrive now I know it annoys them....:D;)

Totally, but I felt the same way with iTV and how Apple wanted to use it. I'm beginning to learn that you British are obviously more litigious than Americans. So, who's next to get sued by some overly lawyered British firms?
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fair enough. Trademarks are there for a reason, though are only valid in your area of business. If Sky TV didn't have a broadband service then Microsoft would be free to use the name. But they do, so they can't. What would happen if Sky started to offer online storage with their internet package but MS already had something with a similar name? That's why they've won.

You can have a Sky Pizza or a Sky Bed Shop or a Sky Roofing Contractor. But in the UK you cannot have a Sky internet service, because someone else already does.
    Forum Member
    Totally, but I felt the same way with iTV and how Apple wanted to use it. I'm beginning to learn that you British are obviously more litigious than Americans. So, who's next to get sued by some overly lawyered British firms?

I guess New York and the New England Patriots should begin to worry......;):cool:
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    It's fair enough. Trademarks are there for a reason, though are only valid in your area of business. If Sky TV didn't have a broadband service then Microsoft would be free to use the name. But they do, so they can't. What would happen if Sky started to offer online storage with their internet package but MS already had something with a similar name? That's why they've won.

You can have a Sky Pizza or a Sky Bed Shop or a Sky Roofing Contractor. But in the UK you cannot have a Sky internet service, because someone else already does.

Indeed. I didn't realise because i dont have Sky that SkyPhoto etc are actual real sky products too. Tbh i hate Sky, but this is more than just sticking an 'i' in front of a word.
    Forum Member
    MS only agreed because it was "mutually beneficial" Sounds like Sky are looking to tie into the X-Box.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    What I found truly amazing, (though not sure I should have been given the intelligence of some folk) is that people having problems with Microsoft SkyDrive were actually contacting BskyB for a fix? :rolleyes:
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    ...................Keeps the lawyers in work I suppose!
    Sure does and the sky's the limit.

Oh! B*gger I said the word.

That's me sued out of existence too
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    So basically, nobody is allowed to use the three letters in the order 'sky' anywhere in any product name? Keeps the lawyers in work I suppose!

kaspersky seem to have gotten away with it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I guess New York and the New England Patriots should begin to worry......;):cool:

Ohh no! lol New Britain Connecticut might be on the list too!
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Americans have a few companies prone to suing others...Apple spring to mind.

America, land of the free....and ambulance chasing lawyers ;)
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a trolling comment. Or are you just a Fox News watching patriot?

The USA is well known as the most litigious country on the planet. Most lawsuits that happen in your country would be considered vexatious or frivolous in this country.

Things like people suing McDonald's for their coffee being hot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    What I found truly amazing, (though not sure I should have been given the intelligence of some folk) is that people having problems with Microsoft SkyDrive were actually contacting BskyB for a fix? :rolleyes:

If you open up your computer, connect to Sky Broadband, log in to Sky Email, share some pictures on Sky Photo and upload your files to Sky Drive, would you not think it logical all were provided by the same company?

This is exactly why they've been granted the infringement, and that's the point I made above.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Sky plan on suing MGM/Sony/the Broccoli family due to the recent James Bond movie 'Skyfall'?

Apple have 'i' everything, Sky have 'Sky' everything, why don't Microsoft call everything 'MS' something. It could be called "MSDrive" or "MSCloud" or whatever, or has 'Cloud' as a term been copyrighted now too? :rolleyes:
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I wonder if Sky plan on suing MGM/Sony/the Broccoli family due to the recent James Bond movie 'Skyfall'?

Apple have 'i' everything, Sky have 'Sky' everything, why don't Microsoft call everything 'MS' something. It could be called "MSDrive" or "MSCloud" or whatever, or has 'Cloud' as a term been copyrighted now too? :rolleyes:

then maybe all those people with MS could sue microsoft
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Apple have 'i' everything
    Yet I still can't find that iPlayer device that the BBC keep advertising on sale in Apple's shops :)

BTW should these guys sue BSkyB?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_%28band%29

Meanwhile, Beethro is sharpening his sword in case things get nasty:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-95l2FZkuCQ

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *woooooosh*

Is that the sound of the entire point going over most people's heads? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    *woooooosh*

Is that the sound of the entire point going over most people's heads? :rolleyes:

No probably the sound of you caring too much......:rolleyes:
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    BTW should these guys sue BSkyB?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_%28band%29

No because they were a pop group. You don't seem to understand this very well.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    If you open up your computer, connect to Sky Broadband, log in to Sky Email, share some pictures on Sky Photo and upload your files to Sky Drive, would you not think it logical all were provided by the same company?

This is exactly why they've been granted the infringement, and that's the point I made above.

My maxim in life is never assume. Pity that maxim is not more general throughout the populace. So in answer to your question NO I would not assume that SkyDrive belonged to BskyB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The Americans have a few companies prone to suing others...Apple spring to mind.

America, land of the free....and ambulance chasing lawyers ;)

Haha they are particularly bad in that arena. I'm no fan of ambulance chasers, but a good trial gets everyone roused up it's like theater hahaha!
    TheBigM wrote: »
    What a trolling comment. Or are you just a Fox News watching patriot?

The USA is well known as the most litigious country on the planet. Most lawsuits that happen in your country would be considered vexatious or frivolous in this country.

Things like people suing McDonald's for their coffee being hot.

Hahahaha the funniest thing going on here is in your attempt to belittle me by throwing some anti-American BS at me, I was actually agreeing with a guy that is railing against BSkyB/News Corp. As it is I don't feel any particular affinity with News Corp/21st Century Fox/whatever they want to call it these days. And you being too stupid to see the context or probably just too caught up in your own crazy political beliefs think I'm a fan or viewer of Fox News/News Corp, et al. is that irony or what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    My maxim in life is never assume. Pity that maxim is not more general throughout the populace. So in answer to your question NO I would not assume that SkyDrive belonged to BskyB.

Can't you see that it's a perfectly reasonable thing to assume? My middle-aged aunt who is perfectly fine with computers would see SkyX, SkyY and SkyZ. The only company she's ever signed up with is called Sky and provides her with computer services. So why wouldn't she think the thing called Sky is from Sky?

Off-topic but this gets my goat:

As for the Americans who sued over hot coffee - this is an often trotted out story that's only partially true. The coffee was served as at very high temperature, tens of degrees hotter than usual and they were aware of the problem, but did it to increase the aroma in the restaurant to drive sales. Other people had been injured by it before. I'm sure we've all spilled tea or coffee on ourselves and said "ouch" and no harm was done. The person involved got third degree burns, requiring a hospital stay and skin grafts. So no, it's not a stupid person doing a frivolous law suit. It was a negligent restaurant serving coffee that was so hot it could cause serious injury when spilled.