Can you play GTA 5 on a 4gb console?

cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If 8gb is needed for the installation can you not play it on a 4gb console? :confused:

Comments

• jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rockstar has said that the game involves an install of approx 8GB which can be done on an external drive.

Please read this article for more information

http://www.edge-online.com/news/gta-v-will-come-on-two-discs-and-require-mandatory-install-on-360/
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can i find out which console i've got? Mines was a preowned one the wife got me when GTA4 came out. I didn't know there was different versions. Wasn't till later i found out not all xboxes are the same.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Go to system options and check your memory. if you have a HDD installed it will show, likewise for any internal flash. However 4gb internal flash will not work for GTA V as it features a mandatory 8gb install, so you will either need to buy a USB stick (up to 32gb) and make sure it's USB 2.0 speed compliant or buy an internal HDD.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    How can i find out which console i've got? Mines was a preowned one the wife got me when GTA4 came out. I didn't know there was different versions. Wasn't till later i found out not all xboxes are the same.

Like 2D said, hit the xbox button on the controller, move right to system settings, press A, move down to storage, press A and see how much space you have free.

For example, Hard drive XX GB free.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    you will need to add a 16gb usb stick
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As above, check your available drive(s) capacity in your system options - you can also look inside the HD slot to see if it's got anything in it, on a slim model there's a removable door on the right side (disguised as vents), if it's empty... no HD, of any capacity.

As others have stated, read the technical requirements carefully - you will be able to play without a HD, by installing to a USB stick instead (16gb suggested minimum) but it will have to be suitably fast, don't just go buying a cheap unknown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies lads. I had a look and i had 2.6GB free, so i deleted a lotta stuff that i never bother with (including lots of stuff that the previous owner had put on there). Now i have 8.9GB free. Is this me hunkydory now? There's still a lot of old game saves on there from games i don't even own anymore.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    you will need to add a 16gb usb stick

It's so annoying hearing issues like this. I really wish MS would allow standard hard drives to be used on Xboxes, rather than use propitiatory technology. For the cost of 4 16gb usb sticks, you can get a 250gb 2.5" HDD that would work on a PS3...
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of game data can be gotten rid of. I keep my last save (maybe more depending on game e.g. Fallout/Skyrim) from games I still own. You could probably get another gig or so from deleting saves.
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marvelous i have the Arcade Model Xbox360 just as well i added a 20gb HDD i picked up cheap from ebay or i would
    have been stuffed Rockstar Games knew there are people out there running non HDD versions of the console
    so why insist on a 8gb mandatory install
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now i have 8.9GB free. Is this me hunkydory now? There's still a lot of old game saves on there from games i don't even own anymore.

Nope, unfortunately, the minimum capacity they've suggested is 16gb on Flash (I'm guessing you've no HD in yours - unless the previous owner installed loads of full games to it almost filling it up, so you'll need to get one or a suitable high speed USB stick).

The install is '8gb' but you'll need extra capacity for saves, for your other game files and system stuff.
    You might make enough room if you delete everything, but I'd start saving for a HD - installing to flash memory is painfully slow, and with a HD you can install most of your other games to it and extend your optical drives lifespan!
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Rockstar Games knew there are people out there running non HDD versions of the console

Because the user base for the 4GB and less market is actually very small, and there's a simple solution to easily buy a 16GB USB Stick that most places sell cheap now.

The game is the biggest they've created to date and the content is split up over two discs and arranged so things like Map, vehicles, Weapons, Character Models, Additional Characters, etc, are all apart of the 7.8GB install, whilst all the audio and other streamable things have been put on the second disc. It's the only way they could get around this without having disc swapping when changing areas, etc, plus it gives them more freedom to make things bigger than originally expected. Yes it's bending the rules, but for a game that's set out to be the big bang of the generation to end it off, both sides are willing to let a few rules slip by to make sure Rockstar can get the complete most out of the hardware.
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    Nope, unfortunately, the minimum capacity they've suggested is 16gb on Flash (I'm guessing you've no HD in yours - unless the previous owner installed loads of full games to it almost filling it up, so you'll need to get one or a suitable high speed USB stick).

The install is '8gb' but you'll need extra capacity for saves, for your other game files and system stuff.
    You might make enough room if you delete everything, but I'd start saving for a HD - installing to flash memory is painfully slow, and with a HD you can install most of your other games to it and extend your optical drives lifespan!

you only need 8gb on the hard drive - plus a little extra for saves but GTA 4 saves were only a mb or so each.

The reason they say "16gb stick" is that 8gb sticks don't actually have 8gb of space once they are formatted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies lads. I had a look and i had 2.6GB free, so i deleted a lotta stuff that i never bother with (including lots of stuff that the previous owner had put on there). Now i have 8.9GB free. Is this me hunkydory now? There's still a lot of old game saves on there from games i don't even own anymore.

8.9GB is fine, although you will need some space for saves so it may get tight. To be honest I would start to consider getting rid of the old saves for the games you dont own. The new consoles are out soon so are you really going to start buying old games you got rid of before you get a new console?
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Marvelous i have the Arcade Model Xbox360 just as well i added a 20gb HDD i picked up cheap from ebay or i would
    have been stuffed Rockstar Games knew there are people out there running non HDD versions of the console

What Ash said, but also; would you enjoy swapping disks every time you crossed one side the map to the next? no...There was no other solution tbh. I'm just grateful they were allowed to mandate the storage requirement, the first (and last) game to do so on 360.

Major crisis averted!
    Forum Member
    What Ash said, but also; would you enjoy swapping disks every time you crossed one side the map to the next? no...There was no other solution tbh. I'm just grateful they were allowed to mandate the storage requirement, the first (and last) game to do so on 360.

Major crisis averted!

Final Fantasy 11 was the first required install.
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Major crisis averted!

Fair point i did hate having to swap the discs over in Mass Effect 3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8.9GB is fine, although you will need some space for saves so it may get tight. To be honest I would start to consider getting rid of the old saves for the games you dont own. The new consoles are out soon so are you really going to start buying old games you got rid of before you get a new console?

I doubt i'll be buying old games i once owned!! But saying that, deleting some of the old saves was a trip down memory lane. I'd forgot half of the games that were on there and a couple of times i thought "wish i still had...."!
    But with a few exceptions i rarely go back to play games again. Red Dead Redemption and Sniper Elite V2 are the only ones i revisit tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt i'll be buying old games i once owned!! But saying that, deleting some of the old saves was a trip down memory lane. I'd forgot half of the games that were on there and a couple of times i thought "wish i still had...."!
    But with a few exceptions i rarely go back to play games again. Red Dead Redemption and Sniper Elite V2 are the only ones i revisit tbh.

I only keep the saves I like, I have bought and sold the same game 2 or 3 times. Arkham Asylum I bought twice. Arkham City I bought twice and I bought the Game of the year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I don't get why this is being made such a big deal of, is 8GB a lot?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why this is being made such a big deal of, is 8GB a lot?
    It is when they have a version of the 360 that doesn't even have half the required space!
    Forum Member

True, and Defiance. MMO's tend to be the exception to the rule.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Defiance was was the second .

Ahh already been mentioned. That will teach me to read all posts before i post mine.