How much of a normal life do celebs have?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
After seeing Philip Scholfield in Cornwall last year and all the fuss around him from people when he walked up the street I'm interested to know how much of a normal life these people have. A trip to the supermarket must be a chore in itself

Surely the bigger stars have security around them?

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends so much on the celeb. Some of the biggest ones in the world (the real A-listers) go about their everyday business without fuss and no one bothers them.

I think as a rule of thumb those who don't court attention away from their work usually are treated with respect and not intruded upon.
  • tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think a pretty crap life. Imagine being followed pretty much constantly, being photographed eating, shopping, walking and so on and then having the media putting their take on what could be a fleeting expression.

I agree with what Lexi said pretty much but there are celebs who do want to get on with their own life but are still followed; ie Brangelina and kids.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get a lot who aren't so recognisable off camera because of make-up, clothes etc. Like you'll get the ultra smart boy bander who dresses grungy, doesn't shave, wears a cap in real life to get around. I know one big TV presenter wears a scarf across his mouth, lol. It depends how distinctive they are and where they are. If people know they are going to be somewhere (an event etc) then they will be more upfront about approaching them.

It can be a bit of a crap life. It balances out - on the one hand you get invites to everything and lots of attention - on the other hand you don't know who to trust or who wants something.

For the reality z-listers its a bit more scary because you get thrown into it, carried away with it, then once your 15 minutes is over people will still recognise you to an extent day to day, so good luck with going to tescos and buying up those reduced goods, going and signing on, or the worst, going out clubbing and every drunken yob wants to shout insults or attack you cos you "used to be off the telly".

I agree with Lexis rule of thumb.
  • tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Depends so much on the celeb. Some of the biggest ones in the world (the real A-listers) go about their everyday business without fuss and no one bothers them.

I think as a rule of thumb those who don't court attention away from their work usually are treated with respect and not intruded upon.

I suppose when you think about it the real celebs aren't papped much; i.e. Streep, Depp, Mirren etc. They get photographed at events and such but you rarely see anything of them leaving restaurants, grocery shopping etc.
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tsarina wrote: »
    I suppose when you think about it the real celebs aren't papped much; i.e. Streep, Depp, Mirren etc. They get photographed at events and such but you rarely see anything of them leaving restaurants, grocery shopping etc.

Exactly.
    Whereas the desperados somehow manage to get themselves photographed every time they nip out for a kebab cough*Chantellitall*cough.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it's 99% work-related. Premieres, film fests, award shows, and apart from the odd candid here and there, nothing. eg. Meryl Streep cycles around her town all the time and no one bothers her.

It's possible to do it, and I do think, for the most part, much of it down to the celeb themselves. They set the tone. If you think of most of the (proper) A-B listers here in the UK, you never set eyes on them unless they're promoting their work or involved with some event. And not an entourage or security in sight, usually only their press agent to deal with requests/answer questions.

The ones who say they can't walk down the street without press intrusion are usually the ones who can't live without it. And have the biggest entourages and the meanest looking security just so you know how important they are. ;)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Yes, it's 99% work-related. Premieres, film fests, award shows, and apart from the odd candid here and there, nothing. eg. Meryl Streep cycles around her town all the time and no one bothers her.

It's possible to do it, and I do think, for the most part, much of it down to the celeb themselves. They set the tone. If you think of most of the (proper) A-B listers here in the UK, you never set eyes on them unless they're promoting their work or involved with some event. And not an entourage or security in sight, usually only their press agent to deal with requests/answer questions.

The ones who say they can't walk down the street without press intrusion are usually the ones who can't live without it. And have the biggest entourages and the meanest looking security just so you know how important they are. ;)

And quite often the ones who drive round with their own pap in the passenger seat of the car just to catch that completely off guard shot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly see a lady from Coronation Street out and about near me. She is with her hubby and young child and they go in a restaurant that I go in. They are just getting on with things but there are always groups of people staring and whispering. I would find that very annoying. Some even walk past their table a few times grinning at them or just staring. Never seen anyone approach them though.

Have seen the paps setting up their cameras with their step ladders many times ( not for the Corrie family). I saw one on his phone organising where to stand as word was out Abbey Clancy was at the nail bar. Coleen Rooney is another on their hit list. The times I have seen her she always has her head down and is walking pretty quick. Thing is you can never tell who will whip out a camera right in her face. Seen it happen and it's horrible.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say as much as they want depending on how much they flirt with the media
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    After seeing Philip Scholfield in Cornwall last year and all the fuss around him from people when he walked up the street I'm interested to know how much of a normal life these people have. A trip to the supermarket must be a chore in itself

I'd say that once you become a celebrity your privacy becomes greatly decreased. The more of a star you are, the less privacy you'll have. It always makes me laugh when the stars who are arrogant think it's terrible because they get asked for autographs sometimes. Who the hell do these people think they are? They should remember who pays their wages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.
    Whereas the desperados somehow manage to get themselves photographed every time they nip out for a kebab cough*Chantellitall*cough.

Yeah, and you see photos of them walking down the street whilst not trying to hide their face. Some photos you see are obviously staged.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised to see this last week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2419944/One-Directions-Harry-Styles-tweets-picture-hero-Elton-John--travels-iTunes-tube.html

Surely he must be one of the most famous faces in London but he doesn't look like he is being bothered apart from someone taking a picture

So it shows they can blend in if they want to
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,690
    Forum Member
    I was in Heathrow before and Bob Geldof walked past and people actually stood up and clapped as he did!!

I remember reading an interview with Kate Ritchie from Home and Away a few years back and she said one Christmas she just wanted to get out of Sydney and have a normal Christmas where nobody would know her. She said she settled on New York where she wasn't known, booked a restaurant for Xmas day and when she walked in a group of Irish recognized her and started plaguing her.

I think generally it depends on who you are a where you are, a H&A star is bound to be recognized by a group of Irish in America but I've seen Eastenders walking through central London and haven't batted an eyelid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    . It always makes me laugh when the stars who are arrogant think it's terrible because they get asked for autographs sometimes. Who the hell do these people think they are? They should remember who pays their wages.

Don't agree with that. Why should they be bothered all the time, if they are with family everything should be off limits unless it's their choice to sign an autograph.

My husbands boss pays his wages but it does not give him the right to barge up to him when he is out and start talking about work when it's his day off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2419944/One-Directions-Harry-Styles-tweets-picture-hero-Elton-John--travels-iTunes-tube.html

Surely he must be one of the most famous faces in London but he doesn't look like he is being bothered apart from someone taking a picture

How did Harry tweet that picture if some randomer took it and he didn't know? If Harry didn't know that his picture had been taken, this means that the Daily Mail's lying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Don't agree with that. Why should they be bothered all the time, if they are with family everything should be off limits unless it's their choice to sign an autograph.

My husbands boss pays his wages but it does not give him the right to barge up to him when he is out and start talking about work when it's his day off.
    I'd say that once you become a celebrity your privacy becomes greatly decreased. The more of a star you are, the less privacy you'll have. It always makes me laugh when the stars who are arrogant think it's terrible because they get asked for autographs sometimes. Who the hell do these people think they are? They should remember who pays their wages.

There's a difference there.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,690
    Forum Member
    Quinnx3 wrote: »

I do agree with the original poster. They stars know what they are signing up to when they take the job and to ignore fans is complete ignorance. If it wasn't for the fans watching their show/buying their music etc they wouldn't have a job so they should always have time for their fans
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I use the tube all the time yet no one snaps a picture of me and sends it in to the showbiz section of the national newspaper. :D
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From what i've heard about the stylish one he likes to go off the managements radar and just do his own thing ... whilst they battle to desperately find him.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    How did Harry tweet that picture if some randomer took it and he didn't know? If Harry didn't know that his picture had been taken, this means that the Daily Mail's lying.

He tweeted the picture of himself with Elton John.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »

Im sure a more minor star would lead a pretty normal life. & its all about context. I wouldnt spot a Saturday in the supermarket next to me, but a teen would. A couple of years ago I spotted Marc Almond in the street, he's be recognised by people y age & older, but a 20 something would prob not realise he was famous. Its all relative.

Friend of mine years ago said how he was walking through a pub in London and did a double take cos Madonna & Guy Ritchie were in there having a pint.

It really depends at what point in a celebs ascent/descent they are I guess
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think a pretty crap life. Imagine being followed pretty much constantly, being photographed eating, shopping, walking and so on and then having the media putting their take on what could be a fleeting expression.

I agree with what Lexi said pretty much but there are celebs who do want to get on with their own life but are still followed; ie Brangelina and kids.

Yet they're happy to do photoshoots and the likes.

I have little sympathy for these celebs that complain about press intrusion yet court media attention for their own gain.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I have seen quite a few famous actors in London and Rome (I was on Holiday there) and nobody was bothered by members of the public. They all seem to have reacted like me, Oh there is Terrance Stamp having a coffee,smiled at him and walked on. I would never Approach an actor in the street and ask for an autograph. Never understood the frantic Need to get someone's autograph!!! It is nice to see the odd famous Person but I would never dream of disturbing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    I do agree with the original poster. They stars know what they are signing up to when they take the job and to ignore fans is complete ignorance. If it wasn't for the fans watching their show/buying their music etc they wouldn't have a job so they should always have time for their fans

I disagree. Thing is its fine to acknowledge fans but fans should also show some respect. I personally would never approach someone no matter who they were if they were with their family having a private meal. It's respect for another person IMO. Fan time and their private time are very different.

Its all about respect for other people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He tweeted the picture of himself with Elton John.

Ah, okay.