Options

Cats in horror films

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3o5_cDSKM4
Meet this little monster from The Legend of Hell House, this is one cat you wouldn't want to stroke. Any more cat clips from horror films?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine lives in North Carolina and one of his cats was used in the movie Cat's Eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine lives in North Carolina and one of his cats was used in the movie Cat's Eye.

Not heard of that one, but there was a film called Eye of the Cat, where an eccentric old lady's cats attack two people who are trying to defraud her, and coincidentally starred Gail Hunnicutt, who was also in The Legend of Hell House.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Different point but I was talking about cats in horror films the other night when a mate asked if there were any good recent horrors.

I said no and the only usual time you jump in any type of horror film, good or bad, is when a cat jumps out of nowhere :D
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never works for me, being a cat lover. Just cant find cats scary.

And it's often very obvious when cats are supposed to be scary on screen that they are being taunted, pushed, shoved and thrown at people.

And if they attack and have to eat people etc...it's probably a dummy stuffed with cat food etc.

I guess the most iconic cat sequence in a movie for me is Jonesey in Alien...the sequence where it sees the big alien for the first time and hisses looks pretty real...though in reality it was probably just shown a picture of Anne Widdecombe naked or something...
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    A special mention for Church from Pet Semetary.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admit I can't watch any horror films featuring cats because it's pretty obvious that most were controlled in a way that makes me feel uncomfortable. I hate it when I see a cat snarls because it's too bloody obvious that it is scared, unhappy or being taunted. And that upsets me. :o

Edit:
    And it's often very obvious when cats are supposed to be scary on screen that they are being taunted, pushed, shoved and thrown at people.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never works for me, being a cat lover. Just cant find cats scary.

And if they attack and have to eat people etc...it's probably a dummy stuffed with cat food etc.

I guess the most iconic cat sequence in a movie for me is Jonesey in Alien...the sequence where it sees the big alien for the first time and hisses looks pretty real...though in reality it was probably just shown a picture of Anne Widdecombe naked or something...

I like it after Brett gets munched on by the alien Jonesy smiles in admiration , kinda like one predator admiring another .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Uncanny was a horror about cats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    What a stupid thread
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Original The Grudge had a very creepy kitty cat.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    For God's sake, woman. Just feed the damned thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a stupid thread

You've clearly never been on the Big Brother board where people yap about housemates 99.9 pc of the population have forgotten about.
    Actually the role of cats in films is quite interesting, and not just in horror. Ernst Blofeld would be far less interesting if he didn't have his white cat with him and the affection he shows towards the cat is completely at odds with his personality.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Riker is terrorised by Data's cat Spot (and Jones from Alien, apparently)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgjoYEkCTB8

Brilliantly edited.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    There was a scene in The Collector horror film with a black cat

Didnt it end up dead''The Collector did summat to it, forgot now as it was abit ago i saw it..need to watch it again
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cat's Eye, is a great film about cats.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088889/
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Gramalkin from Night of the Demon.

John Holden (Dana Andrews) gets into quite a fight when Grimalkin changes from a domestic cat into what appears to be a small leopard. When Julian Karswell (Niall MacGinnis) appears and tells him that Grimalkin is a demonic watchcat with a traditional medieval name, it all makes much more sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Lucio Fulci - Black Cat isnt bad. Dario Argento's Inferno has a cat attack scene too.
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes you wonder whether they actually throw cats in some of these films like when one suddenly jumps through an open window.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    The ones in Inferno are definatley being chucked at the actress.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    There was a scene in The Collector horror film with a black cat

Didnt it end up dead''The Collector did summat to it, forgot now as it was abit ago i saw it..need to watch it again

I was actually just thinking about that.
    It was something like, the collector had put acid all over the floor but the cat had got stuck to it and was pretty much disintegrating and making this loud screech. And the guy decided to grab it and throw it out the window to not draw attention to the room. However, the window was booby trapped and the cat got shredded to pieces while exiting the window
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I was actually just thinking about that.
    It was something like, the collector had put acid all over the floor but the cat had got stuck to it and was pretty much disintegrating and making this loud screech. And the guy decided to grab it and throw it out the window to not draw attention to the room. However, the window was booby trapped and the cat got shredded to pieces while exiting the window

yeah, thats right, thanks i forgot ..that scene was pretty errr
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    The Cat In Pet cemetery 1 :o
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    "Cat's Eyes" is great, a collection of Stephen King, short stories linked by the cat, the "Goblin" in the last story was terrifying when I was younger.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gramalkin from Night of the Demon.

John Holden (Dana Andrews) gets into quite a fight when Grimalkin changes from a domestic cat into what appears to be a small leopard. When Julian Karswell (Niall MacGinnis) appears and tells him that Grimalkin is a demonic watchcat with a traditional medieval name, it all makes much more sense.

looks a bit dated now, but one of the scariest horror films I have ever seen.

all in the mind.

although i think karswell would have been slightyl less forgiving of his mother