The Saturdays in America

Comments

• shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    They should have simply released Higher... not this new single. Even as someone who isn't much a fan, Higher was the catchiest of the lot. And even when they secured numerous TV shows, they pursued with What About Us. At least push your strongest song of the lot and gain some popularity out there before going with some new single.

Wow you actually giving some constructive criticism/advice for a pop group :eek:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    It err starts tonight.

What time? I'm going to record it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow you actually giving some constructive criticism/advice for a pop group :eek:

Lol I was surprised too.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time? I'm going to record it.

10:00PM I think.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Really exite for it.....

Does anyone know the chart position for their song that thy released in America ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    Really exite for it.....

Does anyone know the chart position for their song that thy released in America ?

Never made the top 100
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    Really exite for it.....

It's not been properly promoted yet or sent to radio so it's still jumping up and down the top 1500 on iTunes. It went to #102 after a Jay Leno performance but because of no airplay or further promo it's fallen quite drastically since then.

It probably won't *peak* until April or May, whenever the girls are back to promote it and radio start playing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    It's not been properly promoted yet or sent to radio so it's still jumping up and down the top 1500 on iTunes. It went to #102 after a Jay Leno performance but because of no airplay or further promo it's fallen quite drastically since then.

It probably won't *peak* until April or May, whenever the girls are back to promote it and radio start playing it.

I like your optimism but I don't think it will peak again. The girls management are awful and dont seem to understand the American market. They should have stayed there. What are they thinking coming home?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like your optimism but I don't think it will peak again. The girls management are awful and dont seem to understand the American market. They should have stayed there. What are they thinking coming home?

No idea.

They're back over in the next week, I think, though because Marvin from JLS said Rochelle would be in America for Valentines Day. :confused:
    Forum Member
    10:00PM I think.

Thanks. The Super Bowl starts at 11 so I'll actually be able to watch Chasing The Saturdays. Anyone else going to watch it?
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Omg I made it through 5 minutes, until they showed them all sounding like spoiled princesses in their own apartment each! Then Frankie says she is homesick and calls mollie and goes to her room then I switched off!

I know it's all set up but seriously looking desperado Saturdays....
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show was terrible. I reckon they will split up before the end of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To sum up for anyone who's missed their progress, What About Us went to #102 on US iTunes after a Jay Leno and Today Show performance, then they went back to the UK and three weeks later the song is at #650 on iTunes, there's still no airplay and Little Mix have already peaked higher than them with one day of release.

The Saturdays, ladies and gentleman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg I made it through 5 minutes, until they showed them all sounding like spoiled princesses in their own apartment each! Then Frankie says she is homesick and calls mollie and goes to her room then I switched off!

I know it's all set up but seriously looking desperado Saturdays....

right there is just something about them I dont like. they are all a little shallow

Una is my favourite not just because shes Irish but she actually seems the most down to earth :)
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, they really did pick a bad time to promote or not promote as is the case, my feeling is that they should have waited until Rochelle had had her baby and had gotten some rest, then they could have swooped in full force with a giant blitz of promo and hopefully get a hit.
    I imagine that's what their plans are now.
    Forum Member
    clfan wrote: »
    Una is my favourite not just because shes Irish but she actually seems the most down to earth :)

She seems nice. Mollie is my second favourite Saturday because she seems like she'd be good fun to have around and she's also a fan of Britney Spears (that would be something me and her have in common) :cool:
    String9 wrote: »
    The show was terrible. I reckon they will split up before the end of the year.

It really depends on how well their album sells rather than on the TV show ratings. It should be about the music first rather than the TV show.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really depends on how well their album sells rather than on the TV show ratings. It should be about the music first rather than the TV show.

Spot on, End of the day America has enough of these silly shows. They hate most of them as it is. So not sure this was ever going to be a hit.

End of the day like you say it should be about the music. They need to show america why they are better then all UK girbands out there.

They need to show they have star quality better then what the yanks have got.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They should have thought about cracking the UK and Europe before going over there. Their management seem to be silly fir not seeing that.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    They should have thought about cracking the UK and Europe before going over there. Their management seem to be silly fir not seeing that.

But there Management has never done what they should have, I reckon put a group of their biggest fans in a room and they could make better decisions than their so called management team.

Wrong singles, wrong timelines, wrong oppourtunities it all just screams too little too late!
    Forum Member
    Spot on, End of the day America has enough of these silly shows. They hate most of them as it is. So not sure this was ever going to be a hit.

End of the day like you say it should be about the music. They need to show america why they are better then all UK girbands out there.

They need to show they have star quality better then what the yanks have got.

I'm sure the UK is getting fed up of cheap reality shows as well. Who thought a TV show was a good way of promoting a group's music?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the UK is getting fed up of cheap reality shows as well. Who thought a TV show was a good way of promoting a group's music?

I don't think the show is out to promote just their music Persey. It's all about the brand. Remember very little income is made from record sales these days. If successful in the states the group could launch perfumes, tour, release merchandise etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help thinking trying to sell a girl group in America where two of the members are married is a bit of a stupid waste of time. Single, sexy and available is what they need to be to be considered a hot commodity. As Vanessa has all the personality of a brush and is what they'd call "unconventionally beautiful" their best bets are "British blonde bombshell" Mollie and "Sexy Keira Knightley lookalike" Frankie but those two can't drag the rest of them to success. Just seems a real wasted effort given the circumstances.
    Forum Member
    I can't help thinking trying to sell a girl group in America where two of the members are married is a bit of a stupid waste of time. Single, sexy and available is what they need to be to be considered a hot commodity. As Vanessa has all the personality of a brush and is what they'd call "unconventionally beautiful" their best bets are "British blonde bombshell" Mollie and "Sexy Keira Knightley lookalike" Frankie but those two can't drag the rest of them to success. Just seems a real wasted effort given the circumstances.

They really should have gone over to the US before Una and Rochelle got married. They should have gone over in late 2009 after Wordshaker was released or even 2010 and focused on the music rather than a reality TV show.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    To sum up for anyone who's missed their progress, What About Us went to #102 on US iTunes after a Jay Leno and Today Show performance, then they went back to the UK and three weeks later the song is at #650 on iTunes, there's still no airplay and Little Mix have already peaked higher than them with one day of release.

The Saturdays, ladies and gentleman.

LOL!!

I feel mean but I'm so glad they're flopping. I find them to be such arrogant bitches, and their fans to be completely deluded. For them to expect to ever get any US success is frankly hilarious. If the UK barely cares about them, why would Americans?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    LOL!!

I feel mean but I'm so glad they're flopping. I find them to be such arrogant bitches, and their fans to be completely deluded. For them to expect to ever get any US success is frankly hilarious. If the UK barely cares about them, why would Americans?!

They have a token black and Asian member to "appeal" to a cosmopolitan demographic that is more common in America?

I agree that Higher really should have been pushed in the USA and that video, particularly the Beatles pastiche moment where they cross the road in a line, would have appealed more to the young female audience while making it clear they were a British import trying to make it in America. That was all over the video visually. I mean, why are 1D always dressed formally and shown using retro phones or by red phoneboxes? It makes them out as distinctly British and American women love the idea of a sharply dressed English man. They are not playing to their strengths and are failing as a result.