Watching Films On Kindle via Format Factory

Hi

Thought this info would be handy for those that do this. I rip my dvds to my laptop then upload them onto my kindle to watch (as lovefilm streaming has an awful selection). This used to be an arse as I'd have to rip with dvdfab and then use handbrake to convert it into a playable file (even tho dvdfab states it rips into a compatible format.....it doesn't.).

Before I even did the above I used to use the free software format factory to rip my dvds which played straight away without having to convert them again, problem was you'd get German subtitles on every film, highly annoying so I gave up.

Anyway I recently came across a thread on another forum where someone had figured out how to overcome the subtitles problem. I thought I'd share the info as you never know someone may find it useful, if not ignore the thread, anyway here it is......(and yes it works, I did it this evening)

" i found out how to do it.....click on the rip dvd thing.....then obviously click none for subtitles...then before you click ok...click output settings....then u will see a tiny tab called additional subtitles.....the very top option in that tab is blank...type into it...."None"...make sure to use the capital n...just in case....this is the first time i'v gotten this rip to work with only the subtitles that are suppossed to be in it (like when someone speaks spanish or they tell you a location or time)......its works perfectly..just in case you have a hard time reading it the way i wrote above..i will reword it one more time so its simpler to follow

-click rip dvd to video file
-click the subtitles button and select none
-then click output settings
-click the additional subtitles tab to open the tab for viewing
-click the VERY top space in that tabs section (not the button to the right of the blank space...click right on the blank space itself)
-type in "None"

and of course set whatever else you want...but that should fix your subtitle problems."

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What format does that rip the DVD to out of interest. Is it a single mpg file?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    It's worth mentioning that you can download lies of media players to android that will play anything you can play on your computer.
    Smudged wrote: »
    What format does that rip the DVD to out of interest. Is it a single mpg file?

Iirc at has a set of output profiles for diffident devices and can handle avc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Iirc at has a set of output profiles for diffident devices and can handle avc.
    As he's just ripping rather than encoding I was wondering what the file format was. When I was doing this I liked to create mpeg files.
    Forum Member
    As he's just ripping rather than encoding I was wondering what the file format was. When I was doing this I liked to create mpeg files.

unless it was 20 years ago that would not have been my choice of format.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unless it was 20 years ago that would not have been my choice of format.
    lol, it's fine if you're just ripping to watch rather than archiving. You can always batch encode later if there's something you want to keep to save disk space I suppose. In my situation most of the stuff got deleted after watching as once was enough.
    Forum Member
    lol, it's fine if you're just ripping to watch rather than archiving. You can always batch encode later if there's something you want to keep to save disk space I suppose. In my situation most of the stuff got deleted after watching as once was enough.

i can see that under very limited circumstances ripping without conversion may have it's merits.

but a 7GB mpeg2 file is not going to be around on my equipment for very long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can see that under very limited circumstances ripping without conversion may have it's merits.

but a 7GB mpeg2 file is not going to be around on my equipment for very long.
    For me it's about time. As I've got the disk space, I'm not going to waste time encoding unless it's something I know I'm going to keep.

I guess it's also about how keen you are on films and your viewing habits. I know some people like to build up a big digital movie collection but I only bother to keep a small % that I know I'll definitely want to watch again in future.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often watch DVD's on my Nexus I just copy the biggest VOB files from the DVD to my nexus and watch with an app called HD video player. The files take up a fair bit of space but are not there for long. If I want to keep the files I store them elsewhere on other media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »
    I often watch DVD's on my Nexus I just copy the biggest VOB files from the DVD to my nexus and watch with an app called HD video player. The files take up a fair bit of space but are not there for long. If I want to keep the files I store them elsewhere on other media.
    Yes, you can't get much quicker than copying the VOBs if your device can play them. The other reason I was creating mpeg files was that I had a few other devices (not tablets) that were fussy with file formats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    In answer to your question smudged, it's an mpeg single file and its approx size is 1GB for approx 2 hour film and I was surprised that the viewing quality was pretty darn good as well. The kindle is proper fussy with formats it can play but such is life.
    I'm no guru when it comes to all this but for my needs its great and doesn't feel like a chore anymore. If you want to watch films offline on your kindle I'd highly recommend this way. But what do I know :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    r@z0r wrote: »
    In answer to your question smudged, it's an mpeg single file and its approx size is 1GB for approx 2 hour film and I was surprised that the viewing quality was pretty darn good as well. The kindle is proper fussy with formats it can play but such is life.
    I'm no guru when it comes to all this but for my needs its great and doesn't feel like a chore anymore. If you want to watch films offline on your kindle I'd highly recommend this way. But what do I know :D
    Yes, it's about whatever method suits you and gives you results you're happy with. As I say, my concern is usually to find the quickest way as I value my time more than my disk space :D.