Readers of VIZ !

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loved lots of the earlier stuff

Mellie, Fat Slags, Student Grant, Biffa Bacom, Spoilt Bastard

letters and top tips also very good.

I think the characters are not quite so good now.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved lots of the earlier stuff

Mellie, Fat Slags, Student Grant, Biffa Bacom, Spoilt Bastard

letters and top tips also very good.

I think the characters are not quite so good now.

It has to get better every issue just to stay the same. Looking back at early issues it is clear that a lot of the amusement was in the novalty factor. In fact the standard now is very high but we have seen it all before. I still enjoy it though.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Roger Mellie. Consistently good and really nails the greed and self-interest of TV celebs and TV in general. Hugely satirical on the various fads for TV formats as well.

Drunken Bakers. Didn't get it at first but it's got a sort of Pinteresque bleakness and for a few issues hinted at the tragedies in their lives. Check out the current issue for a reference to Hogath's Gin Lane in the final frame.

Fat Slags. Great fun.

Gilbert Ratchet. Violence has never been so funny.

There's recently been an artist doing one-off strips, usually with a football theme. There was one called Pirates of Plymouth Argyle and he's done another one where British squaddies in Afghanistan take on the local Taliban at a football match, the losers having to walk through the town in their pants.:D Really good artwork and takes the piss out of football cliches.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Fru T Bunn The Master Baker & His Gingerbread Sex Dolls in a class of his own. Used to like the cartoon Rude Kid in first few editions in mid 1980's.
  • Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get this all the time going back about 12 or more years, skimming through the three pages here it looks like a lot of the original characters are still in it :) Must pick it up again for a look sometime!

Sid the Sexist, Spoilt Bastard, Roger Mellie, Biffa Bacon and others were my faves, the top tips got a bit repetitive and dull even back then though.

Some of the photo storys were hilarious.

Does anyone remember that ghoulish sketch of Princess Diana, then shortly after the release of that issue we had her death ... oops!
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember VIZ printing all the hate mail they got from deranged readers blaming them for Princess Dianas death. "I hope you're proud of yourselves..." "Blood on YOUR hands" etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember VIZ printing all the hate mail they got from deranged readers blaming them for Princess Dianas death. "I hope you're proud of yourselves..." "Blood on YOUR hands" etc

I don't think it was like that, but they would have accreted Viz ... accordingly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they did - I remember the two ones above vividly after Viz printed the photostory "Frankenstein must Di"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My memory must be faulty then. Oh well, it won't be the first time :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Something similar happened with Marti Caine.
    Viz ran a story about her dying valiantly whilst fighting a dragon,and whilst the particular issue was on newstands Marti actually died.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katana1000 wrote: »

I can't see any pictures :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see any pictures :(

The story was from 1998, pictures are more bandwidth heavy (especially back then) so I guess they were set to expire early?
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bumping up an old thread to say that The Drunken Bakers in the new edition is as bleak as any they've ever done. I had to put the magazine down for a bit after reading it.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a copy for old times sake the other day (costs a fortune now)..

Not remotely funny anymore

Please... pull the plug on it, utter waste of paper
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could only be bothered with the readers letters and top tips recently so let my subscription die.

Would certainly not pay the price it is in the shops.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Bumping up an old thread to say that The Drunken Bakers in the new edition is as bleak as any they've ever done. I had to put the magazine down for a bit after reading it.

Not as bleak George bestial......
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't bought this months yet.
    I normally buy it on the day it comes out in case it gets banned and withdrawn for some reason ! :D
    I still find it funny and I'm fifty years old. I've been buying it since the 80's !
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    'The vibrating bum faced goats' was a personal favourite.

http://esco-vaderas.mazca.com/goats_low.gif
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not as bleak George bestial......

Sorry, I meant the one that's due out on Thursday. Sadly, no George Bestial in it.

If you mean the one with 'Alison' the goat, that had me laughing like a loon. George's desperate cries for 'Alison' to help him as he was dragged away were hilarious.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the one that's due out on Thursday. Sadly, no George Bestial in it.

If you mean the one with 'Alison' the goat, that had me laughing like a loon. George's desperate cries for 'Alison' to help him as he was dragged away were hilarious.

Ah, as if 'alison' could come to his rescue....:D
  • Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Jump Jet Fanny ever return ?
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Mellie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is only one winner in my eyes - Big Vern !

My favourite one was quite some time ago when he went to a hotel with Ernie, and acted as if he were in prison :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    There is only one winner in my eyes - Big Vern !

My favourite one was quite some time ago when he went to a hotel with Ernie, and acted as if he were in prison :D:D:D

I loved that one. The final panel of him assaulting Ernie in the shower 'I bin without a woman for too long, Ernie!' was brilliant.