Sky sports 1 to air on PickTV on 17/8/13

Comments

• Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a tightwad, and a Leeds United supporter this is a nice surprise for that day.
    Might even watch Man Utd, to see if the legacy has crumbled. Who cares if its a bit blocky. ?
  • hartcliffehartcliffe Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    pick tv looks ok on my 22 inch tv
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Being a tightwad, and a Leeds United supporter this is a nice surprise for that day.
    Might even watch Man Utd, to see if the legacy has crumbled. Who cares if its a bit blocky. ?

:D:D:D
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

Well the Swansea result won't tell you a thing because they had 0 points after their first game two seasons ago - and ended up with 89 points! Neither will the Chelsea or Man C games soon afterwards because they often beat Man U, sometimes doing the double without doing much damage.
  • Andy258Andy258 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have Sky changed their minds about this?

According to the EPG on my freeview box, Pick TV are showing their normal programmes on the 17th.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy258 wrote: »
    According to the EPG on my freeview box, Pick TV are showing their normal programmes on the 17th.
    Oh goodie, it's not just my EPG then.
  • Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have seen adverts saying it will be on Pick TV but this morning saw the same advert but saying it will be on Sky 2.

Have Sky changed their mind?
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris123 wrote: »
    Have seen adverts saying it will be on Pick TV but this morning saw the same advert but saying it will be on Sky 2.

It will be on Pick TV on Freeview and Sky2 on satellite. It's probably because Pick TV is FTA on satellite but on a Europe-wide transponder, so broadcasting football on it would be tricky and expensive.

The solution of course would be to put their FTA channels on a narrow-beam transponder, which there are plenty of, but oh well...
  • Andy258Andy258 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris123 wrote: »

It looks like they have. You still need a Sky subscription to receive Sky 2, but not Pick TV. It would have made more sense for Sky to put their football programmes next Saturday on Pick TV on all platforms as a good way to sell Sky Sports subscriptions, but I'm not sure that Sky and common sense go together!

Looking at the EPG on my freeview box for next Saturday, it looks like Pick TV are showing their normal Australian customs reality programmes so I'm not holding out any hope!
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says on the first post of this thread that it will be on both Pick TV and Sky 2.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy258 wrote: »
    It looks like they have. You still need a Sky subscription to receive Sky 2, but not Pick TV. It would have made more sense for Sky to put their football programmes next Saturday on Pick TV on all platforms as a good way to sell Sky Sports subscriptions, but I'm not sure that Sky and common sense go together!

Lots of common sense. Sky only have UK rights for Premier League, so they can't put it on a FTA channel like Pick TV that is available all over Europe.

So Sky 2 on satellite, Pick on DTT.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only common sense if they make Sky2 FTV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or they could've kept Pick TV FTV - it was only made FTA recently.

In fact, there are separate streams for the Freesat versions of Pick TV and Challenge, so there really is no reason for the Sky versions of Pick TV and Challenge to be FTA anyway. Plus, like I said above, they could just use a narrow beam transponder.

Lots of solutions but obviously Sky couldn't care less.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EPG data submitted to Freeview is probably common to Pick TV on all platforms so hasn't been updated to show the variations to the Pick TV schedule on Freeview.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Just a cynical ploy by Sky, and PickTV's picture quality is crap so it'll look awful anyway.

I'll pass, if you excuse the pun. ;)

The picture of Pick TV aint exactly fizzy sound, and/or dotty, misty or a pixellated mess of a picture

You think it's alright for BT to air special FTA days on Freeview but not for Sky.

The vast majority of people who watch Pick TV on DTT see it as a FTA channel and have no intention of ever subscribing to a sky satellite service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Or they could've kept Pick TV FTV - it was only made FTA recently.

In fact, there are separate streams for the Freesat versions of Pick TV and Challenge, so there really is no reason for the Sky versions of Pick TV and Challenge to be FTA anyway. Plus, like I said above, they could just use a narrow beam transponder.

Lots of solutions but obviously Sky couldn't care less.

But it gives Freeview viewers 2 extra FTA chamnels ( 3 if you include Sky News).

Why force them to have to either upgrade their DTT to Top Up TV or BT Vision e.g. or get a satellite dish, or subscribe to cable to watch these channels.

If you get a satellite dish you would need to subscribe to a Sky entertainment pack to receive Dave, Quest, Yesterday, Really and Drama. Sky should not be witholding these channels from freesat viewers as they are FTA on every platform except satellite.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Sky are necessarily responsible for Dave, Quest, Yesterday, Really and Drama remaining subscription channels on satellite. With Sky making Challenge FTA and joining the Freesat EPG I wonder how long they will be willing to continue paying carriage fees to UKTV for Dave, Really, Yesterday and Drama. Paying these channels subscription money from Sky subs may be helping them to exist as Freeview channels. It's a complex calculation, if Sky would be better off with those channels FTA on satellite and possibly struggling to make ends meet (and maybe close some down weakening Freeview), making Sky the big bad bully or if they would do OK and make Freesat a more attractive rival. I guess nothing has changed and Sky will continue to pay to keep channels off FTA platforms where possible and the Broadcasters will be happy to go on taking their money, with Challenge, Pick and Sky News being exceptions to the rule as they act as advertising for Sky which is what this Sky Sports 1 free peak is all about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    But it gives Freeview viewers 2 extra FTA chamnels ( 3 if you include Sky News).

Why force them to have to either upgrade their DTT to Top Up TV or BT Vision e.g. or get a satellite dish, or subscribe to cable to watch these channels.

If you get a satellite dish you would need to subscribe to a Sky entertainment pack to receive Dave, Quest, Yesterday, Really and Drama. Sky should not be witholding these channels from freesat viewers as they are FTA on every platform except satellite.
    What? I did not even mention Freeview in my post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    What? I did not even mention Freeview in my post.

I was not having a go at you in my post.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    10am - Soccer AM
    12pm - FL72 - Leeds v Sheffield Wednesday
    2:30pm - Saturday Night Football - Preview and build-up to 3pm games
    3pm - Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling
    5pm - Saturday Night Football - Premier League game yet to be announced

The free day ends at 8pm as Sky can't show Football First FTA due to the BBC having FTA highlights on MOTD.

A sports channel that only shows football.....hmmm...

Shouldn't the channel be called Sky Football Channel? Serious question, otherwise they could be done under the Trades Description Act!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    I was not having a go at you in my post.

Huh? You quoted me and then talked about something completely different. :confused:
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PickTV EPG has now been updated.can't wait for the free day.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    It wont entice me to get Sky, Im just glad I can see United vs Swansea for free :)
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »

Shouldn't the channel be called Sky Football Channel? Serious question, otherwise they could be done under the Trades Description Act!
    It's what I inferred in my post #25, There are plenty of other sports people find interesting, but I gather it is something to do with the start of the football season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »

There is very often golf, tennis and darts on Sky Sports 1.