gagging with retainer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
Forum Member
✭✭
Have just had the brace taken off my top teeth and have got a removable retainer. The problem is it makes me gag all the time, it is so bad, I am nearly sick . I don't know what to do about this, as I told my orthadontist I knew I would have trouble with it. Has anybody else experienced this and does it go away ???

Comments

• MissbegottenMissbegotten Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all in your head and you have to get used to it. You've had a mouthful of brace and managed fine so why the problem with some plastic?

And that comes from experience by the way. You are on the home straight now so if your teeth go wonky because you can't keep the plastiv in then it's been a complete waste of time having braces.

I found keeping mine scrupulously clean went a long way in coping with it. So clean it after every meal and before going to bed.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this still day 1? It should improve quickly, and might be something to do with the fact that you know you have the facility to remove the retainer if you wish.

My 11yr old daughter wore twin-block retainers for 20 weeks, and it took a couple of days for her to become accustomed to wearing them. She was very good about wearing them 24/7 which is why she was able to remove them after a relatively quick treatment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try lying on your back with your head over the edge of the bed to relax your palate and throat a bit and then slip it in that way. :)
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Try lying on your back with your head over the edge of the bed to relax your palate and throat a bit and then slip it in that way. :)

Sick. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never wore my retainer to eat or some days even, always had it on at night though. In fact my orthadontist complimented me on how fast my teeth were moving and I must be wearing it all the time! I did lose one by taking it out at meal times and my Mum went mad, so I stopped wearing it in the day.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can be distressing at first; just when you think, after all the time and endless appointments, you're finally finished with it, you have to endure another mouth full of rock hard plastic. My son's had his a week and panicked at first because he nibbles his nails, and they were prised so tightly, he literally couldn't get them off! After about 3 days though, he relaxed more and has found a technique. He still struggles to sleep in them though, so he's trying to gradually increase his hours during the day. Probably not long enough though.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a bit of a strange feeling having it in your mouth at first, it feels really big. You get used to it though. :) Don't give up with it now, it's worth it in the end and it honestly is something you get used to. I've had a retainer since I was 17, I'm now almost 21 (only wear it at nights now...well, supposed to, I tend to wear it anytime I'm alone. :o), but I have to wear mine at least one night a week for the rest of my life probably.

I don't remember having any problems with gagging with my retainer, but I get the same issue with my gumshield at training. It's just because you've got something in your mouth which you're not really used to. Try and keep drinking lots too - if you're dehydrated your mouth will get dry and when that happens my gumshield tends to make me feel sick still.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice and yes it is still day 1 , I have got a sensitive gag reflex , toothbrush that slips back will set me off . If I keep my tongue on it, I am ok , but if I try to talk it makes me heave and whilst it's bad enough at home I am dreading trying to speak outside the house.
    :eek:
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brit1Chick wrote: »
    I am dreading trying to speak outside the house.
    :eek:
    I don't know how to reduce the gagging when u speak, but your brain still needs to listen to your voice for the first couple of days, to enable you to compensate for the retainer, and subconsciously adjust the way you speak (so that you can enunciate more clearly). So if you're at home, do still talk aloud, if you can bear it, to get that process underway.

My OH's got the same gagging reflex, and after nearly 20yrs together, it still gets me every time he brushes his teeth.
  • emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    Is it a mouthguard type retainer i.e. clear plastic that fits over your teeth or a wire one? I know I had the first one (and still do a year and half later) and I found that awful with the gag reflex, so I empathise! Honestly, it will get better - give it a couple of days and you'll notice is less and less until you barely know it's there. It's all about your mouth adapting to something new. Try focusing on some music or something to take your mind off it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks Mumof3 and emj for your help, yes the talking is a bit of an ordeal , kids think it is hilarious :p and mine is the wire type with that big plastic bit on the roof of your mouth, if I cover that with my tongue, it is fine, it's when it's just there, something about it makes me gag.
    Having said that, I keep putting it back in for a few minutes at a time and the gagging isn't instant like it was when it was first fitted this afternoon, so hopefully it will get easier, like you say :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    You will get used to it :) It may be worth getting a spray topical anaesthetic (you can get these from Boots - just ask!) to slightly numb you palate while you get used to it.

Otherwise, just stick with it, breathe and you will get used to it! Plus, you need to wear your retainer to keep those lovely teeth straight :)

Tara x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    If this keeps happening then it isn't psychological but that your orthodontist has made your retainer too big at the back. When I was a child I had a similar experience and my orthodontist shaved the back of the retainer back to make more of an arch shape. If your top palate is small and the plastic on the retainer goes almost straight across, then it could be too big for your mouth, invoking your gag reflexes.

Whatever/Anyhow, I would give it a couple more days and if it doesn't improve, make an appointment with your orthodontist. They will make it better for you, they don't want to see you in discomfort. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks again for your replies and thank you tara for your words of encouragement . And Lozza, my orthodontist did shave some off for me today , because as soon as I put it in my mouth, I started to gag in front of him and realised it was going to be a problem for me ....he is making another one for me on Thursday as I wasn't 100 % sure about my teeth and wanted a very slight alteration, so hopefully he will bear that in mind , because once I have that one made it is one I shall have to wear all the time.