Anyone want to go fishing for red herring?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
Forum Member
It was certainly fun last week :D

So, what (possibly) red herring did I take from this week?

Family.
They spent quite a bit of time on empathy and how much stronger it is because of familial bonds. Seemed to imply such a bond between the doc and clara. Probably a red herring, but they did focus on it quite a bit.

Tardis.

We know from "Lets Kill Hitler" and were reminded in Hide that the interface is chosen from someone they knew/met. So why Clara? Has she met herself before? Again, could be just a minor oversight in the script, but it bears watching.

Not happy.

It seemed evident that they were trying to establish Clara as being empathic, with the I'm not happy as well as other bits. Not sure to what end.

Sticks out like a big chin

Reference to Oswin Oswald? Or just a throwaway line.

November 25th 1974.

Any relevance to that date? I know 74 was Baker's first year as the Doctor. I know they referenced Hartnell's first day as the Doctor in The Snowmen. Don't suppose there were any other significant date references in TBOSJ, ROA or CW to the other Doctors?

Every monster needs a companion

Relevant, introspective or throwaway.

Any straws that I failed to grasp?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir_Porkus wrote: »
    It was certainly fun last week :D

So, what (possibly) red herring did I take from this week?

Family.
    They spent quite a bit of time on empathy and how much stronger it is because of familial bonds. Seemed to imply such a bond between the doc and clara. Probably a red herring, but they did focus on it quite a bit.

Tardis.

We know from "Lets Kill Hitler" and were reminded in Hide that the interface is chosen from someone they knew/met. So why Clara? Has she met herself before? Again, could be just a minor oversight in the script, but it bears watching.

Not happy.

It seemed evident that they were trying to establish Clara as being empathic, with the I'm not happy as well as other bits. Not sure to what end.

Sticks out like a big chin

Reference to Oswin Oswald? Or just a throwaway line.

November 25th 1974.

Any relevance to that date? I know 74 was Baker's first year as the Doctor. I know they referenced Hartnell's first day as the Doctor in The Snowmen. Don't suppose there were any other significant date references in TBOSJ, ROA or CW to the other Doctors?

Every monster needs a companion

Relevant, introspective or throwaway.

Any straws that I failed to grasp?

'Whiskey is the 11th most disgusting thing ever invented :p

Also, Clara mentioning that the TARDIS doesn't like her once again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    'Whiskey is the 11th most disgusting thing ever invented :p

Also, Clara mentioning that the TARDIS doesn't like her once again.

Good point.

Tardis doesn't like impossible things. What makes her impossible?
    I mean, after all she is just an ordinary girl who is a bit more frightened than she lets on :confused:
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't Clara mention something about changing history again ?
    (she did last week )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, to be honest, I wouldn't like someone who caled me stupid old cow either :D Of course the TARDIS supposedly didn't like her even before that. But 1) I'm not sure how much the TARIDS actually really dislikes impossible things. Yes, there was that time with Jack, but how much was that the TARDIS and how much just Ten not wanting to see Jack and 2) Is the TARDIS maybe just slow to turst as a cat as the Doctor put it?

Anyway it would be great to have a thread that would pick up all these little possibe clues and red herrings for all the Clara/Oswin episodes so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no red herrings, only clues and references we haven't worked out yet.

That was an episode that out crypticed Gatiss and out visual metaphored Moffat, my head hurts. Though I'm sure I've seen the story of the Doctor making a portal to a forest to rescue and re-unite people somewhere before.

I think a lot of the low level empathy/ telepathic field stuff this week is part of the comparing of Clara to a mobile Tardis theme.

The whisky cryptic, is The Doctor the most disgusting thing in the universe or do we have to replace whisky with a brand name. Bells the 11th most disgusting thing in the universe ? Is The Doc a Famous Grouse ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is one: They said everything ends, except love. (Clara doesn't seem to end- just keeps coming back). Probably nothing.

There was yet another professor, this time with a companion. Maybe someone in an episode soon will have a jacket with an ace on the back?:D

The psychic lady said there's nothing special about Clara. Is it all in the doctor's head? (nah, probably not)

If it is supposed to be a family link- then she could be family to someone we already know. But then who? River, Cpt Jack, The Rani ( I always like to get that one in there:D), or even the doc's grand daughter.

The Doc said he was very slow, but he always gets there in the end.

None of these are probably right/have anything to do with anything, but I guess at the moment there's lots of possibilities. And that's what makes it fun trying to guess what it could be.
  • davebtdavebt Posts: 110
    Forum Member

The psychic lady said there's nothing special about Clara. Is it all in the doctor's head? (nah, probably not).

But the Doctor travels in time. So the psychic lady might have it spot on. I am beginning to think (and it was no coincidence she said that), Clara Oswald is Clara 1 and the anomaly that causes Clara Oswin Oswald 2 & 3 hasn't happened because the Doctor hasn't caused it yet. Paradox time. The doctor had to meet this clara to create the chain of events that cause the existence of clara 2 and 3 which left him looking for the 'mystery' by searching for clara 1

So this Clara, who isn't yet 'oswin' might indeed be a perfectly normal girl. For now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    davebt wrote: »
    But the Doctor travels in time. So the psychic lady might have it spot on. I am beginning to think (and it was no coincidence she said that), Clara Oswald is Clara 1 and the anomaly that causes Clara Oswin Oswald 2 & 3 hasn't happened because the Doctor hasn't caused it yet. Paradox time. The doctor had to meet this clara to create the chain of events that cause the existence of clara 2 and 3 which left him looking for the 'mystery' by searching for clara 1

So this Clara, who isn't yet 'oswin' might indeed be a perfectly normal girl. For now.

So essentially you are going with
    Star Trek: TNG , All Good Things scenario.

In other words, this Clara is perfectly normal, but something that WILL happen as a result of travelling with the Doctor, something the Doctor does or something one of his enemies does will cause the other Clara's?

Interesting :confused::)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    You could say that "our" Clara is already Oswin, she did pick that as a nickname in the first episode.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davebt wrote: »

Oooo yes good thinking, could well be!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When The Doctor introduced himself, Alec replied "Doctor What?" rather than the familiar "Doctor Who?" Could this be something name related?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha. I just remembered about the Doctor What thing too and you've beaten me to it:)
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    When The Doctor introduced himself, Alec replied "Doctor What?" rather than the familiar "Doctor Who?" Could this be something name related?

has that never happened before ?

kinda reminded me of when Clara said "it's smaller on the outside " again I wondered - has anyone said that before ?
  • Mike_DalbyMike_Dalby Posts: 96
    Forum Member

kinda reminded me of when Clara said "it's smaller on the outside " again I wondered - has anyone said that before ?

Think Rose did in 'Rose'
  • Mike_DalbyMike_Dalby Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Also if memory serves Doctor what? Was a response used several times throughout the classic series too.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't Elton say Doctor What? in L&M or is my memory going?
  • davebtdavebt Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Sir_Porkus wrote: »
    So essentially you are going with
    Star Trek: TNG , All Good Things scenario.

In other words, this Clara is perfectly normal, but something that WILL happen as a result of travelling with the Doctor, something the Doctor does or something one of his enemies does will cause the other Clara's?

Interesting :confused::)

Partially, expect in All Good Things, we understood all the time there was a connection between the 3 streams and we effectively watched the Captain have to tied the ends together. Here it is somewhat different; we have been shown there is a mystery that appears in 3 time periods, but I am not suggesting there is a solution that spreads across them. I do agree however with the comparison of the premise that the actions of the captain led to the creation of the very 'anomoly' he then had to reverse

I am only working on what we know, and Moffat does like to prove how clever he is by misleading us. This whole time we have been led to believe the Doctor is trying to solve the mystery of Clara; wouldn't it be a surprise if he ended up in a situation creating it.

We have been given several indicators this Clara predates the others, including her creation of 'oswin'. Now we are told by a psychic specifically sought out by the Doctor to analyse Clara that Clara is perfectly normal. As I am leaning towards the idea that 'run' - you clever boy & remember is a reference to running and saving a computer program called 'you clever boy', I am now of the mind that the mystery of Clara has yet to be created.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So- the Doctor investigating the Clara mystery leads her to be 'zapped' at some point and her DNA ( or something) is sent to different time periods to be reborn. Thereby creating the mystery in the first place, which the Doctor wants to solve.

Suitably timey wimey:)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    The whisky cryptic, is The Doctor the most disgusting thing in the universe or do we have to replace whisky with a brand name. Bells the 11th most disgusting thing in the universe ? Is The Doc a Famous Grouse ?
    Campbells soup:D
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said everything ends, except love.

Maybe she is the Tardis. The one major thing that the Doctor loves more than anything is the Tardis, because he knows that without it, he cannot escape dangerous situations. He relies on his machine. I remember Jon Pertwee's Doctor, and Tom's, calling the Tardis 'old girl'.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    You want a red herring? Here's one. Love how they are screwing with people.

http://media.tumblr.com/ac7d3c9c4e84d374d7c2b291a9f02c13/tumblr_inline_mlo11uYzEd1qz4rgp.jpg

A couple of friends went nuts over it.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    You want a red herring? Here's one. Love how they are screwing with people.

http://media.tumblr.com/ac7d3c9c4e84d374d7c2b291a9f02c13/tumblr_inline_mlo11uYzEd1qz4rgp.jpg

A couple of friends went nuts over it.

Mateus Rosé was a very popular wine in 1974. (And I should know). Why is it significant?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Mateus Rosé was a very popular wine in 1974. (And I should know). Why is it significant?

Cause' idiots think it says mate is rose :D Like i said they love screwing around with anything rose related.