Saving Minidisc as WAV format

Over the years I have recorded many hours of material onto Minidisc. As you know, sharing that format is not easy unless I make a CD with the optical out socket. Plugging my portable MD recorder into the computer USB socket and using Sony 'SonicStage' I have the option of saving the SP or LP mono recordings as WAV format.

I have never heard of WAV outside of mobile phone ringtones so was wondering what the amount of loss of quality or change of sound occurs when converting ATRAC into WAV. Are CD players able to play WAV format?

I did a test recording and did not notice anything untoward but I am not really up with all the different formats so would appreciate any input. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WAV at 44,100Hz sample rate 16bits per sample is identical to CD Audio format. There are other combinations of sample rate and bit depth that you can use.

In any case if you burn a CD as an Audio disk rather than a Data disk the source format is irrelevant, the burning software will convert to CD Audio anyway.

You will certainly not loose any quality by converting to WAV. The only thing you lose is disk space as ATRAC is a compressed format and WAV isn't. So the files on the PC will be several times larger than those on the minidisk.

Though if I recall correctly doesn't minidisk use 48kHz sample rate (or is that just one of the options available - long time since I used it in anger :) ). So if your recordings are 48kHz you might lose a little bit of quality (barely noticeable I should think) converting to 44.1kHz for CD audio.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WAV is normally uncompressed (i.e. lossless) linear PCM. It can be almost any bitdepth, sample rate, and number of channels.

It can also hold compressed formats for decoding by ACM codecs under windows, such as mp3, A/u-law, etc etc. It's amazingly rare to find mp3 data packed into WAV files, and pretty rare to find any WAV file that needs an ACM codec for playback, as few players support it.

I would be delighted to be able to save my MDs as .WAVs at quicker than real time - can you explain exactly what equipment you are using? I'd heard that some late MD machines allowed this, but on my earlier machine I just use the digital output to my sound card's digital input for a real time digital copy. (I have to be honest and say I haven't bothered with this much!)

Cheers,
    David.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    I would be delighted to be able to save my MDs as .WAVs at quicker than real time - can you explain exactly what equipment you are using? I'd heard that some late MD machines allowed this, but on my earlier machine I just use the digital output to my sound card's digital input for a real time digital copy. (I have to be honest and say I haven't bothered with this much!)

Cheers,
    David.
    It is many years since I played with minidisk to any degree. However a portable recorder we used came with some software which from memory was called Sonic Stage.

The player connected via USB to the PC and the Sonic Stage software could download tracks recorded on the machine to the PC and then convert to WAV format.

As I recall though Sonic Stage was one of the worst piles of poo I have ever used on a PC. It did not work particularly well as I recall (and that is putting it mildly!)
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help. So far I have only done two computer uploads of MD's and used the WAV file for a YouTube clip.

SonicStage seems OK to use on my laptop but then I have never used computers for music editing or transfer. It gived me a choice of saving my MD onto my computer as 'as is' (ATRAC) or convert to WAV at time of transfer. It is very much faster than normal play speed and a whole MD recorded at SP takes about 2 minutes to upload.

David, the equipment I am using is:

Recorders: Sony MZ-R50 portable and JB510 full size deck
    Computer: Gateway laptop with Windows Vista basic
    Portable with USB for upload: MZ-RH1
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Soundbox and Chris.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used my Mini disc recorder, connected to HiFi to convert some old cassettes and vinyl to MP3, WAV soon ate up the Gigabytes!

Used Audacity to fix sound - adjust balance, normalize etc.

Sony NH700.