Family Guy Kills Off Character (Spoilers)

AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last night FG killed off one of its major characters as Brian the dog was hit by a car and died.

He was replaced almost immediately by Paulie (voiced by Sopranos star Tony Sirico)

I honestly cannot fathom this decision? The dynamic with Stewie and Brian and the 'Road to' were probably highlights of a series which nosedived in quality of late.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Last night FG killed off one of its major characters as Brian the dog was hit by a car and died.

He was replaced almost immediately by Paulie (voiced by Sopranos star Tony Sirico)

I honestly cannot fathom this decision? The dynamic with Stewie and Brian and the 'Road to' were probably highlights of a series which nosedived in quality of late.

I wasn't sure if it was permanent or not.

I thought they might do a reset in the next episode.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't like his Character in more recent years.
    Everything Quagmire told him why the dislike I pretty much felt the same.
    that being said a lot of people are saying the character is listed In other upcoming Episodes
  • RobRob Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot fathom this desicion at all - wasn't Brian voted the most popular character in the show by viewers at one point?
    Really bad idea...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I loved Brian!! I was hoping it would be any of the others, but I suspect it's been done to cut Seth's workload down a bit, given that he's gone into moviemaking as well.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't sure if it was permanent or not.

I thought they might do a reset in the next episode.

Apparently he's been confirmed as being back in Season 13 but, considering none of that is written yet, anything could happen...
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a bit of a cop-out to say that Brian will be back in Season 13, but then, to be fair, they could simply be hedging their bets if the new dog doesn't prove to be popular.

And it would be just that kind of "breaking the 4th wall" moment that FG would have no problem doing - you can imagine the episode in question ..

Stewie: "Brian, I thought you died?"
    Brian: "Well I did, but nobody liked my replacement.."

They've claimed it was done to shake the show up. I have no real issue with that, but a better way to shake things up would have been to get new writers in surely ?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have probably axed Meg but I understand the attraction of Mila Kunis in the studio.

I can see them doing a really cheesy Dallas shower moment if this doesn't work or he could come back by Stewie time travelling back and 'Road to' events taking place in the past when Brian lives (nb - doesn't he have a litter too?)
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not too bothered. Brian was one of my least favourite characters.

Saying that, it'd have made more sense to kill Chris off. He has pretty much nothing going for him.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Park killed off Kenny for a season then brought him back so it wouldn't be a surprise if we see the return of Brian by the end of the season or early next.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    South Park killed off Kenny for a season then brought him back so it wouldn't be a surprise if we see the return of Brian by the end of the season or early next.

I thought South Park killed Kenny in every episode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought South Park killed Kenny in every episode?

Not so much nowadays but they kept him dead for a whole season at one point, which then brought other characters forward as Kyle, Stan and Cartman tried to find a replacement... There was also a period were Cartman was possessed by Kenny, too...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They very rarely kill Kenny now - he's bought it once or twice in the past few years, but it's rare.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I heard his return will involve some alternate universe type story.

which is not difficult to imagine.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think its time to stop watching this now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I heard his return will involve some alternate universe type story.

which is not difficult to imagine.

any links ? would be interested to read..

it's a plot device that star trek have used before though. kill off one of the main cast but have an alternate universe version step in as if nothing ever happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian???

Why? :eek::eek: Why? :mad::mad:
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    They shoulda named the new dog Poochy
  • Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I think this is the nail in Family Guy's coffin.

The show is in decline at the moment, and axing Brian who works well with Stewie and Peter will kill it even more. My money was on Meg, due to Mila Kunis being in demand, but again even if Mila said enough...they'd bring in a replacement which Mila already was!

This is the end....... (as Adele sings in "Skyfall")
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't the show guaranteed to be on air for a few more years?

I'm sure they had a fairly hefty renewal last year
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They axed one of the few characters the show needs. I like Meg/Chris but they're barely on the show anymore, would have made more sense being one of them since they're usually too busy with other work to make it to VA recording.

New character is just...boring? We'll see from future episodes. But the only thing holding my attention to this show was the Stewie/Brian adventure episodes. And the sci-fi episodes, and since they've killed the time machine, too... Urgh, the return of the Browns is not enough to hold my attention. Knowing there's no more Stewie/Brian adventures this season has left me with no hope for the rest of the season.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shoulda named the new dog Poochy
    I hope it's nothing like Poochy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    If you look at the list of upcoming episodes, one or two have the name Brian in them. So it's possible he's back before the season ends? Or they have another character named Brian :D
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Not so much nowadays but they kept him dead for a whole season at one point, which then brought other characters forward as Kyle, Stan and Cartman tried to find a replacement... There was also a period were Cartman was possessed by Kenny, too...
    Butters. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Butters. :D

Quickly replaced by Tweak :D
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bugger.