Nokia Lumia 920 and Vodafone

GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
Forum Member
A family member has just purchased a SIM free Nokia Lumia 920 from Phones4U. He thought he could use his voda contract which still has 8 months to run so went to the local voda shop to get a mini sim which he has put in the Lumia. Despite Vodafone customer services texting me instructions for registering this sim on the network it has not registered. I have just googled for information and see that EE have exclusive network rights to this model. Is that true and will he not be able to use it on a voda contract? Voda did not mention this to me when I asked for help.

Comments

• twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its exclusive to ee network for now but it should become available on the other networks soon. Seems a strange decision for Nokia as a lot rides on this handset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd return it to phones4u, as its clearly not a sim free handset. Nothing to do with voda.
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I have just phoned Vodafone and have been told there is no reason why the phone can't be used on 2G/3G. When I get my hands on the phone tomorrow I will have a go at registering it myself then call them again. Phones4U had EE locked models in and the rest were sim free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I read a couple of days ago they were not supplying sim free yet. So all models sold were locked to EE.

What voda said wont make any difference. A locked handset is still not going to work on any band !
    Forum Member
    You are all absolutely correct. I have just been on the Phones4U website and the sim free can only be used with EE orange or T mobile sims.
    They were told he was on a Vodafone contract and they didn't say it couldn't be used on it. Neither did the guys in the Vodafone store or the two people i spoke to on the helpline.
    Poor service all round.
    My daughter is going to go in and complain tomorrow.
  • bluesmurfbluesmurf Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Geowitch wrote: »
    You are all absolutely correct. I have just been on the Phones4U website and the sim free can only be used with EE orange or T mobile sims.
    They were told he was on a Vodafone contract and they didn't say it couldn't be used on it. Neither did the guys in the Vodafone store or the two people i spoke to on the helpline.
    Poor service all round.
    My daughter is going to go in and complain tomorrow.

It is poor service and the staff should be better trained. However if the phone is marked as unlocked/sim free, it would be very easy for the sales person to make the assumption that the phone will work on other networks. As that is what unlocked/sim free typically means.
    Forum Member
    My daughter went to the shop, all guns blazing, today to be met by very apologetic staff. They had received an internal bulletin yesterday saying the phones could only be used on EE. What poor organisation!:rolleyes:
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that you think vodafone have been poor when they don't stock the handset and thus know nothing about it.
    Forum Member
    I love that you think vodafone have been poor when they don't stock the handset and thus know nothing about it.

I was talking about Phones4U! I have no problem with Vodafone.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    you can tell if your new sim is registered because the old one stops working. when i have registered new sims with vod before it's been instant. as in i've been on the phone and they say that should happen in the.... and they get cut off as it's already switched.

sounds like the phone is locked. that is what we were told would happen.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they take the phone back and refund?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Its not surprising Vodafone are going down the gurgler.. management just dont seem to be doing their jobs correctly (at least here in Australia).