Comments

• Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    earldbest wrote: »

I think Gary is good. I actually like him as a judge and mentor. I suppose the Simon returning rumours will start again.:D
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Gary is good. I actually like him as a judge and mentor. I suppose the Simon returning rumours will start again.:D

He's okay in the songs department, but his choosing of acts? Oh my he's had the worst act of the competition in his first two years.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have still got his boring voice for his dreary comments in the live shows to come yet. Now don't get me wrong, the man has written some great stuff in the past, but his personality is really as dull as a pi$$ soaked blanket.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Gary as a judge/mentor
  • davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    hes said that every year
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    He is such a boring ****
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's okay in the songs department, but his choosing of acts? Oh my he's had the worst act of the competition in his first two years.

Who are these acts you speak of?
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member

Do you mean the ones the producers gave him?:rolleyes:
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Good riddance. Terrible judge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    I tend to take these leaving rumours with a pinch of salt, even if it is someone like Chris Evans that's saying it.

Anyway, I don't mind Gary as a judge. Seems like a nice enough guy, with a decent about of industry experience. He's actually more talented than a lot of people realise.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I hope this is true but he seems to say this every year.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like Gary. But in an early episode this series - where they had brought on a hopeless act for the usual general mockery and entertainment - when he was giving his feedback he mimicked the way the guy had been singing. We are used to the behind the hand sniggers and faux open mouthed amazement during the performance, but this was a new low.
    The person who came out of this debased was Gary Barlow - not the act. What a nasty, smug piece of work. Hasn't he earned enough dosh already in his life that he has to take part in circuses like this? Is he really that desperate or greedy?
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's written some ok songs but I don't think any of them really stand the test of time except Back For Good. As a judge I find him a bit tedious. You almost get the impression that he doesn't like music very much. I thought he would be more enthusiastic about it but he seems all about the biz part of the music biz.

I know that's what the competition is about but as a musician I'd expect him to show more love for his art. He doesn't seem to care that much about it.
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't believe there are still people on here who think the "judges" pick the acts! Really?!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe there are still people on here who think the "judges" pick the acts! Really?!!!

I can't believe it either you would think people would catch on after 10 years. Louis even said on the radio on Monday "We turn up and do our job and do as we are told".
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I used to like Gary. But in an early episode this series - where they had brought on a hopeless act for the usual general mockery and entertainment - when he was giving his feedback he mimicked the way the guy had been singing. We are used to the behind the hand sniggers and faux open mouthed amazement during the performance, but this was a new low.
    The person who came out of this debased was Gary Barlow - not the act. What a nasty, smug piece of work. Hasn't he earned enough dosh already in his life that he has to take part in circuses like this? Is he really that desperate or greedy?
    Oh, give it a rest. That guy was deluded, thinking that holding a note for 30seconds made him a good singer. And Gary only exemplified that guy's lack of talent in the most obvious way. The only ones who came out battered of that whole audition were the other judges who proved they couldn't tell a good singer from a bad one if their lives depended on it.
    Almost all the acts who auditioned for X Factor have declared afterwards what a lovely person Gary had been to them. They cut out in editing a lot. There was a woman who knelt in front of the judges, begging for a chance and Gary was the only one who went to her and stopped her from humiliating herself unnecessarily. They don't show these little facts on tv. He has never been cruel or nasty with normal people; the only ones who got some biting remarks were the deluded ones and they really needed a reality check.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Gary when Kelly was there. I thought Kelly counterbalanced him (and the whole panel). Gary just seemed"on his own" when Rowland left
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    He's written some ok songs but I don't think any of them really stand the test of time except Back For Good. As a judge I find him a bit tedious. You almost get the impression that he doesn't like music very much. I thought he would be more enthusiastic about it but he seems all about the biz part of the music biz.

I know that's what the competition is about but as a musician I'd expect him to show more love for his art. He doesn't seem to care that much about it.
    I guess you've never heard Pray, Never Forget, Everything Changes, Love Ain't Here Anymore, Forever Love, Rule the World, Greatest Day, Patience, Shine. These are all songs that have withstood the test of time and they will soon be joined by The Flood, Eight Letters and possibly Let Me Go.
    And saying that Gary doesn't come across as a person who loves music, that's really laughable. If there's one thing he's been constantly accused of is the fact that he's too serious and the reason he's so serious is precisely because he cares too much about music.
    You're talking about a man who had to move out of his room when he was 11-12, because his room was full of keyboards. If that doesn't describe a man who lives for music, I don't know what does.
    I find it funny that, while most people seem to trash Gary on this forum, the show he's on is doing very well and the man himself is selling arenas in a matter of minutes, while Simon Cowell, who you all seem to think is the best judge in the world, is loosing his audience in US by week. Doesn't that make you wonder whether you're all living in a bubble on this forum, that is miles away from what's happening in the real world?
    Most people around here think Nicole is the main attraction of the show, but when she was on the red carpet at Pride of Britain this week, nobody paid any attention to her, while people were screaming Gary's name from the top of their lungs. The same thing happened to X Factor auditions, NTA awards and so on. The only interviews this week that had some life to them were Gary's and the groups. He's the only judge the acts speak highly of when the competition ends, including Rylan. This proves that he cares both about music and the people he's working with.
    Face it, in real world, people love Gary and many of them tune in to X Factor just for him.
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    So Nicole will probably be the only judge left on this panel after this series .
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I guess you've never heard Pray, Never Forget, Everything Changes, Love Ain't Here Anymore, Forever Love, Rule the World, Greatest Day, Patience, Shine. These are all songs that have withstood the test of time and they will soon be joined by The Flood, Eight Letters and possibly Let Me Go.
    And saying that Gary doesn't come across as a person who loves music, that's really laughable. If there's one thing he's been constantly accused of is the fact that he's too serious and the reason he's so serious is precisely because he cares too much about music.
    You're talking about a man who had to move out of his room when he was 11-12, because his room was full of keyboards. If that doesn't describe a man who lives for music, I don't know what does.
    I find it funny that, while most people seem to trash Gary on this forum, the show he's on is doing very well and the man himself is selling arenas in a matter of minutes, while Simon Cowell, who you all seem to think is the best judge in the world, is loosing his audience in US by week. Doesn't that make you wonder whether you're all living in a bubble on this forum, that is miles away from what's happening in the real world?
    Most people around here think Nicole is the main attraction of the show, but when she was on the red carpet at Pride of Britain this week, nobody paid any attention to her, while people were screaming Gary's name from the top of their lungs. The same thing happened to X Factor auditions, NTA awards and so on. The only interviews this week that had some life to them were Gary's and the groups. He's the only judge the acts speak highly of when the competition ends, including Rylan. This proves that he cares both about music and the people he's working with.
    Face it, in real world, people love Gary and many of them tune in to X Factor just for him.
    Sorry Amanda but with all that information - you come across as a bit of a stalker! :p
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    So Nicole will probably be the only judge left on this panel after this series .

Fingers crossed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i quite like him as a judge and think he makes sound decisions, and also really like him and sharon working together. this whole panel has a great chemistry and bounce off each other in a way that hasn't been seen in years. but this doesn't surprise me. he's always said he would leave for take that coming back with a new album. but until he personally gives confirmation officially then treat it the same way as the usual press stories. note: although this story breaks every year, it's always been the press saying "gary could be leaving...sources say". it's never actually been him that's said it - he's only ever said that TT comes first and he would prioritise them over the show.
    this coming from chris evans, and an eariler similar statement from dermit seem more reputable than the usual tabloid fodder from the sun, but still...things can change. until he says it, i take it with a pinch of salt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

please get real. how is there seriously any doubt left with people that it's the producers who run the show and control the acts. if previous contestant interviews aren't enough, then as lemonademan already pointed out, louis already said as much in that they simply "do as we're told". all of the judges are told who to pick.

(and btw, if one of those acts you're referring to is christopher maloney, then i would remind you that it was actually the public who voted him in as the wildcard by a landslide, and kept him top of the voting chart by some considerable margin for the majority of the competition. so not even the producers were behind that one. like it or not, he started out incredably popular with the public)

never forget, pray and a million love songs are all still mega popular to this day ~20 years after their release, along with back for good. songs like patience, shine and rule the world would easily stand up next to or even surpass some of them.

whether or not take that are you're cup of tea musically, one of the major reasons why they've managed to come back and have such successful tours etc is because they've got a fantastic back catalogue of really great songs. and that's where he focuses his mucical efforts - in actually making music. i don't know what you'd expect to find from watching the x factor tbh. if anything personified "the biz part of music biz", it's that show. it's been a loooooooonnngg time since it's given two flying figs about music, so if that's what you were looking for and expecting, then honestly, you are watching the wrong show! he'll show his love of art in the part of his job wherin he makes it....not the part where he's paid to sit in a seat and read lines :/. make no mistake - everyone involved in the x factor (including the contestants) are in it for money and the benefits of such massive public exposure. (always hoping for the cheryl cole effects of that exposure over the tulisa ones)
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He says this every year. It's probably so that if Simon decides to return then Gary can just say he was leaving anyway. Damage limitation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Think Gary brings a bit of integrity to the table, composed and polite. Nothing wrong IMO.