Auf Wiedersehen Pet

patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently transferring videos of this to DVD. So I'm not aware it's being repeated at the moment.

I had forgotten just how good it is!

Doesn't seem to have been a specific thread about it since about 2004...

What gets me is that although it is set in Düsseldorf, clearly a lot of it was filmed in Hamburg. Even the posh hotel to which Dennis takes Dagmar is the Intercontinental, Hamburg!

Any current posters remember this one?

Comments

• GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite drama series of all time. The scripts and characters were just so natural.

All the hut scenes from series one were filmed in Elstree - a long way from Germany.

There is a fan site out there but it hasn't been updated in a while:

http://www.aufpet.com/aufhp.htm
  • MFKR78MFKR78 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was absolutely brilliant back in the day, and I'm glad I have the boxsets now to watch again.

The only thing that annoyed me was that the new series really damaged the name for me. The 3rd series was ropey but just about got away with it, the 4th and the final special episodes were just beyond awful and should never have been allowed to go ahead for me.

Apart from everyone looking SO old and the obvious problems from that it could never be the same without Wayne. He was my favourite character :D
  • patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MFKR78 wrote: »
    ...it could never be the same without Wayne. He was my favourite character :D
    Just saw the episode where Barry and Moxy were trying to grow herbs outside the hut and Barry basically suggests that Wayne won't be interested if it doesn't involve herbs with mind-expanding properties. Quite ironic, really... :(

I noticed a yellow notice on the hut saying "DÜSSELDORF" in big writing but where all the contractors' office numbers were around Hamburg...

it would explain why some of the Germans (including Herr Ulrich) can't speak terribly good German if the hut scenes were really filmed in "ElsBaum" ;)
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of scenes were filmed in Elstree.

Ali and Dr Legg from EastEnders starred in the first series......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »
    A lot of scenes were filmed in Elstree.......
    the greatest evidence so far that all was not completely as it appeared was Wayne and Barry jumping from a roof by a sign marked "WARENAMMAHME" which I guess roughly translates as "GOODS IM"...

The little caravan huts they had for the scenes outside the hut certainly look like genuine German ones...
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    cheeks wrote: »
    A lot of scenes were filmed in Elstree.

Ali and Dr Legg from EastEnders starred in the first series......

The German building site was actually the Eastenders set that was being constructed at the time.

Absolutely brilliant series (1st best,2nd a very good effort) but it should never of been revived as the 3rd series felt wrong and the 4th just jumped the shark.
  • Fox MulderFox Mulder Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    The German building site was actually the Eastenders set that was being constructed at the time.

Absolutely brilliant series (1st best,2nd a very good effort) but it should never of been revived as the 3rd series felt wrong and the 4th just jumped the shark.

i never knew that , so in fact they were actually bulding the eastenders set while pretending it was a german housing scheme :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so many classic memories. Wayne calling Barry a radish when his bike stalled at the lights as they were attempting to chase after a taxi carrying swedish flight attendants.

McGowan nutting Neville when Neville tried to stand up to him in the hut :D

Wayne taking the mick out of Arthur in the pub/B&B they stayed in and chasing his daughter in series 2 (and them bricking his front door up at the end :D)

Remember people popping in aswell like Tosh from The Bill (minus the trademark tache!)

I remember back when I watched it, it actually made me want to go out and do the same thing with the way it showed them all working together, getting on and having laughs and going out over there etc. Not sure quite how to describe it, but it felt really down to earth and well made. Not like some of the crap you see thrown out on TV nowadays.

I might have to start watching the boxsets from the beginning again now!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »

Mark Knopflers god awful soundtrack killed it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Auf Pet was the absolute best, series 1 & 2 unbeatable, I uploaded over 20 odd of my favourite clips from it onto youtube ages ago and has proved to be very popular. One of my favourites is where Oz returns to Newcastle and to his old flat after working at barry's. He hasn't been back for years, but after going back he finds Marjorie had sold it on and another couple was living there which led to confusion, Oz thinking the man sitting in the front room was one of Marjories lovers and the mans husband is played by Denise Welch (dennis' wife)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it even if it did get me a load of stick on the building sites I worked on.
    I'm from the north east and during the 80's I worked allover the UK and Europe on loads of building sites, my nickname during this time was OZ as most of the folk I worked with picked up on the accent and my liking for a scrap. :D:cool:
    It was the dogs dangly bits IMO closely followed by Boys From The Black Stuff :)
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would have thought that when the first series of Auf Wiedersehn Pet went out that a few years later Jimmy Nail would have become a sex symbol?

I remember that the first time that I saw a trailer for this I was up in Newcastle visiting relatives and thought it looked interesting and it ended up being one of the classic shows from the eighties.
  • Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can any one remember which series they showed which football teams they followed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Classic series.
    Best ever line was when Wayne and Barry (the radish) were chatting up two girls and Barry says "Do you 2 want to come back to our hut?" Waynes face was a picture.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite line was Oz's "Sex is in it's infancy in Gateshead!" following his visit to a brothel.

Or Bomber's Law of Economics "the more you have the more you live beyond it"

Or Dennis reminiscing about Sundays in the 1960s "they were really bloody boring"
  • LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my favourite programme of all time. I've got the box sets too.

There is so many classic lines, it's so hard to pick a favourite.
    What I remember killing myself laughing at when it was first shown was when they were in the Cross Keys and Barry was sitting on someones stool. Oz's reaction was hilarious.

Barry and Oz are my favourite characters, I loved it when they were poaching Trout.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laroc wrote: »
    This is my favourite programme of all time. I've got the box sets too.

There is so many classic lines, it's so hard to pick a favourite.
    What I remember killing myself laughing at when it was first shown was when they were in the Cross Keys and Barry was sitting on someones stool. Oz's reaction was hilarious.

Barry and Oz are my favourite characters, I loved it when they were poaching Trout.

That was great the stool bit! "Oh it's your stool is it? So when you come out you shout to the wife I'm just going down the pub love with me stool" or something like that :D
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,012
    Forum Member
    Brilliant Brilliant show
  • raveheartraveheart Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    A very good Classic show .....Awwway tha lads ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC Oz is a Newcastle supporter - who are playing at Liège.
    Who would have thought that when the first series of Auf Wiedersehn Pet went out that a few years later Jimmy Nail would have become a sex symbol?...
    I was thinking that looking at a scene today with underpanted Oz and slim, big-haired Wayne thinking "one of these two will become a "singing" star..."

it makes you think. Which of the crew was most likely to:

- Become a singing star (you'd expect Wayne) - Oz

- Star in a series about cricket and become as ubiquitous in arty British films as Brenda Blethyn (Neville?) - Barry

- Feature as a muscleman in all the adventure films by that bloke who played pilot Howard Devoto or something in Star Wars (the one with the wookie - Harrison Generalmotors IIRC ;) ) (Oz?) - Bomber

- Marry someone out of Coronation Street (Oz?) - Dennis

- Become the sidekick to the bloke who plays Jack Regan and drive round in his Jaguar from pub to pub (Dennis?) - Neville...
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    i remembered watching the repeats years ago on channel 4 or maybe it was itv with my dad then i rediscovered it last year and bought the first two series on dvd its very funny and very well written
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When this was popular on TV the first time, I was dating a girl in Eastbourne down in Sussex, she had me stood for ages trying to teach her how to say HOWAY!! properly, lol
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    patpending wrote: »
    IIRC Oz is a Newcastle supporter - who are playing at Liège.

It's Sunderland who are playing at Liege.

Though Oz is a Newcastle fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »
    It's Sunderland who are playing at Liege.

Though Oz is a Newcastle fan.
    Thanks.

Increasingly, without being able to check DVDs, amazon, etc. I need a new word "IIRI".

Sunderland, eh? They won an important cup on a sunny day in 1972 - IIRC ;)
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that during the first series Dennis supported Sunderland in one episode and Newcastle in another, something to do with the writers differing football loyalties I suspect.