Heart Manchester...If only!

Comments

• Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    RIGHT.....To people in London heart is sounding tired as its been on air there for years with the same voices, music etc. I personally am not tired of Heart. I love it!

I would like nothing more than there to be a heart in the NW AND whats wrong with slagging off Real radio? It's dire.

To people in London? Which ones would they be? How many did you ask? The 1.9 million people who listen to Heart London?

The "same voices" who you claim "sound tired" are the ones heard across the network.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    To people in London? Which ones would they be? How many did you ask? The 1.9 million people who listen to Heart London?

The "same voices" who you claim "sound tired" are the ones heard across the network.

We may as well give up Mapperley I HAVE kept explaining to Hit and co....its the SAME Music the SAME presenters other than maybe Breakfast and Drive depending on where you are
    As with Magic as with Real as with Capital they are NETWORKED With the greatest of respect to him. I can say there are very few people who like the set up. I yearn to have my LOCAL station back. BUT ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN NOR ARE HEART GOING TO GET AN FM FREQUENCY IN OUR AREA..:eek:
    I am now going to slip into a darkened room and put a wet flannel over my fevered brow because my head aches from banging it against that brick wall.:o
    Now PLEASE can we talk about something else ?????
    I hope this post will be accepted in the spirit in which its been sent. Im truly not here to insult anyone but we are just going in endless circles with this:yawn:
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    We may as well give up Mapperley I HAVE kept explaining to Hit and co....its the SAME Music the SAME presenters other than maybe Breakfast and Drive depending on where you are
    As with Magic as with Real as with Capital they are NETWORKED With the greatest of respect to him. I can say there are very few people who like the set up. I yearn to have my LOCAL station back. BUT ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN NOR ARE HEART GOING TO GET AN FM FREQUENCY IN OUR AREA..:eek:
    I am now going to slip into a darkened room and put a wet flannel over my fevered brow because my head aches from banging it against that brick wall.:o
    Now PLEASE can we talk about something else ?????
    I hope this post will be accepted in the spirit in which its been sent. Im truly not here to insult anyone but we are just going in endless circles with this:yawn:

As per my posting on here yesterday (see above) Could I just say again if i ruffled any feathers with it I can only apologise. It was maybe too tongue in cheek but truly just my rather unsubtle way of saying we had no where else we could go with the thread as we have been going in circles for ages.
    Maybe this time agree to disagree?? Best Wishes.
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not being funny but do you two think I don't know that heart is networked across its stations? Neither of you have explained that, not that it needed explaining.

THIS POST WAS ABOUT HAVING HEART IN MANCHESTER ON NORMAL RADIO. Why do you both fail to understand that request? I would like heart to be on FM in Manchester. Deal with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per my posting on here yesterday (see above) Could I just say again if i ruffled any feathers with it I can only apologise. It was maybe too tongue in cheek but truly just my rather unsubtle way of saying we had no where else we could go with the thread as we have been going in circles for ages.
    Maybe this time agree to disagree?? Best Wishes.

Where did you ruffle feathers? You didn't even say anything?
    Forum Member
    I'm not being funny but do you two think I don't know that heart is networked across its stations? Neither of you have explained that, not that it needed explaining.

THIS POST WAS ABOUT HAVING HEART IN MANCHESTER ON NORMAL RADIO. Why do you both fail to understand that request? I would like heart to be on FM in Manchester. Deal with it.

You've got one thing right there...

... We have
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

THIS POST WAS ABOUT HAVING HEART IN MANCHESTER ON NORMAL RADIO. Why do you both fail to understand that request? I would like heart to be on FM in Manchester.

And you'll have to wait for sometime for it to happen.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But isn't DAB going to be NORMAL radio is Govt's have their way? FM is Analogue and we are in the Digital age.
    Forum Member
    What Hitmusic appears to want is a station which he says sounds bland and tired to a London audience, which - in his crazy world - would somehow sound great in Manchester. Truly crazy.
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Hitmusic appears to want is a station which he says sounds bland and tired to a London audience, which - in his crazy world - would somehow sound great in Manchester. Truly crazy.

I'm sure there's a word for it?

It begins with C and ends in diction.
  • Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the North East and get Real on 100.7, unfortunately we have a boring football phone in show that the other Real Radios do not have. Football does not appeal to me in the slightest and so I think the show is boring. For that reason I'd take Heart NE over Real NE any day. Plus I do listen to Heart on DAB sometimes but would be nice to have it on FM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But isn't DAB going to be NORMAL radio is Govt's have their way? FM is Analogue and we are in the Digital age.

Well they better get car manufactures to making cars with DAB!
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    I live in the North East and get Real on 100.7, unfortunately we have a boring football phone in show that the other Real Radios do not have. Football does not appeal to me in the slightest and so I think the show is boring. For that reason I'd take Heart NE over Real NE any day. Plus I do listen to Heart on DAB sometimes but would be nice to have it on FM.

The football phone-in must be bringing in the listeners for them and Real Scotland to keep them going?

Plus there's added competition with BBC Newcastle's football phone-in.
    Forum Member
    The football phone-in must be bringing in the listeners for them and Real Scotland to keep them going?

Plus there's added competition with BBC Newcastle's football phone-in.

Real did have football phone ins on all their stations at one time..It would be excellent sense for them to keep it as you say.
    Forum Member

NOT EXPLAINED IT:confused:Have a look at comments 38 62 and 63 on this thread and they are just mine.
    DAB IN CARS. They are doing that as well:D
    Anything else I can help you with ???:D
    Forum Member
    Will there ever be an option for heart in Manchester or even the north west?

Hope so!

Y:pour first posting .Hit No mention of FM there !
    Forum Member
    Sadly wherever you listen to it HEART is the same. Only difference is Breakfast and Drive LOCAL hosts but NATIONAL playlist.:D
    GMG Bauer Global take your pick Ladies and Gentlemen...
    Magic,Smooth,Real,Gold other than ads Traffic and a couple of minutes Local news they are all National
    GWR sure as hell have a lot to answer for ......:cry:

Does that sound familiar as well Hit. ?:rolleyes:
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Jack-UK wrote: »

I'd probably concur with that because I don't find Real at all appealing but did used to like the way that Century was done, Real seems much more cheesy and the music just seems to duplicate what the NW has with City/Key/Rock, if Global were to buy out Real and use the best that the network has it would be quite interesting to see a Heart NW or Heart NE and it would have the added advantage of not disrupting the more local choices of City/Key/Rock.

There's no football phone-in on Real NW, but there is a sports phone-in everyday at 6pm on Real Wales or there used to be, I haven't checked on air in a while and the website doesn't mention it now. I'm bored senseless by football as well but I can see how well it does for City. It's one of the things I miss about having MFM they would stick to music (but with a few sports updates) during football, now when City are in football mode I can tune to 97.4 Rock FM or Key 103. I think Century once had Man Utd commentary so they were a bit more blokey and sporty, also I remember Key 103 might have once had this as well, I think they have nothing now, who has Man City and Man Utd now?

You're right in saying that if a station gets taken over by Heart, any football is simply dropped. When Horizon in Milton Keynes was taken over they still had MK Dons coverage under Gcap but Heart said something like they were "delighted to end the contract"! I'm not into football but I guess that was a bit callous of them really.

When Free started the football coverage on BRMB/Beacon was put on Gold AM instead which admittedly suits football talk coverage.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right in saying that if a station gets taken over by Heart, any football is simply dropped. When Horizon in Milton Keynes was taken over they still had MK Dons coverage under Gcap but Heart said something like they were "delighted to end the contract"! I'm not into football but I guess that was a bit callous of them really.

Heart kept the football phone-in when they replaced Century in the East Midlands, although it became a quiz before being dropped when the speech requirements were removed.
    Forum Member
    Heart kept the football phone-in when they replaced Century in the East Midlands, although it became a quiz before being dropped when the speech requirements were removed.

That's interesting, Century in the East Midlands would have also been more blokey and sporty, but when it was Radio 106 it was once even more diverse, it had a religious show on Sunday mornings! However the way Heart dropped football and talk as soon as the regulations allowed them to showed that they probably would have dropped it straightaway if they had been able to.

I'm one of those people who would think that Caroline Martin's The Sanctuary would do very well extended to Gem 106 from the Midlands stations.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a suggestion for our Heart deprived NW poster (if, of course, he is anything of the sort). "Build Your Own Heart FM Kit". Cost you about 100 quid.

1) Download 150 of the blandest, dullest, most pedestrian tunes in the history of music and synchronise your iPod.

2) Go to "shuffle" and press "play".

3) If you want the really authentic version, try doing your own vacuous links, and get your friends around to sing the jingles.
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Here's a suggestion for our Heart deprived NW poster (if, of course, he is anything of the sort). "Build Your Own Heart FM Kit". Cost you about 100 quid.

1) Download 150 of the blandest, dullest, most pedestrian tunes in the history of music and synchronise your iPod.

2) Go to "shuffle" and press "play".

3) If you want the really authentic version, try doing your own vacuous links, and get your friends around to sing the jingles.

I've just bought a 32GB MicroSDHC card with the sole intention of having every NOW album on it.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    32G will be too much, also should be about 500 songs rather than 150 (Capital or Magic!).
    Then sort out the genres
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58089344&highlight=#post58089344
    Originally Posted by SmartProgrammer
    Don't confuse 'variety' with 'number of songs' which is what you are referring to. There is no doubt your iPod has more songs, but the term "variety" means genres.

On Heart you'll get some pop (Take That, The Wanted, Jessie J), soul (Marvin Gaye, Bill Withers, Aretha Franklin), disco (Michael Jackson, Chic, Patrice Rushen), something guitar based (U2, Bon Jovi, Kings of Leon), ballads (Adele, Mariah Carey, Leona Lewis), dance (Eric Prydz, DJ Sammy, David Guetta) etc etc.
    But you will also have to add some new chart songs!
    Slowly looks like Real is becoming more like Heart and perhaps will become Heart?
    http://www.thisisglobal.com/radio-sales/gmg-brands/real-network/
    Targeting an audience of 25-44 year olds (and a core audience of 30-39 year olds with kids) Real Radio is an upbeat mix of the best music from the last three decades

But with VW joining Ford, Vauxhall,Mini etc in making DAB standard http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/05/volkswagen-to-fit-dab-radio-as-standard/ and more listening will be done on digital rather than FM, the other option is for Real and Heart to both go quasi national after different audiences?
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought a 32GB MicroSDHC card with the sole intention of having every NOW album on it.

I had every NOW album on my iPhone, then immediately wished I didn't. 90-95% of it is rubbish (IMO, of course).
    Forum Member
    That's interesting, Century in the East Midlands would have also been more blokey and sporty, but when it was Radio 106 it was once even more diverse, it had a religious show on Sunday mornings! However the way Heart dropped football and talk as soon as the regulations allowed them to showed that they probably would have dropped it straightaway if they had been able to.

I'm one of those people who would think that Caroline Martin's The Sanctuary would do very well extended to Gem 106 from the Midlands stations.

For my sins Mr C I WAS on radio 106 from day one reviewing the papers from my little shop in Mickleover for them.The religious show was fronted by the same person who set up the well respected Gem am Helpline and her name escapes me at the moment.She had presented a show in the same vein on Gem and if memory serves was seen in the documentary film about the troubles at the station aired by the Beeb being summoned to be told her show was being axed:D