Let's Kill Hitler BBC3 Repeat

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just seen Let's Kill Hitler on BBC3. Thought it was a very good story. I recognised Nina Toussant White from EastEnders. She played someone that Bradley Branning was going out with after deciding to divorce Stacey. Alex Kingston is so good looking. Love the curly hair. :)

What was the point of her saying "Hello, Benjamin"? I don't get that at all.

Loved the next one about the young boy and the peg dolls. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you not seen the peg dolls one yet?
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you not seen the peg dolls one yet?

Yes, I have. I saw it when it first aired in 2011. I've got Doctor Who series 1-6, in seperate DVD box sets, and series 7 part 1 on DVD too. I'm a huge fan of the show and have been since 1993, when I first saw an episode.

The story was 'The Mind Robber', starring Patrick Troughton. I cannot remember which episode it was, but the Doctor was trying to put Jamie's face back together again. I found the clockwork soldiers quite unnerving. I watched this during BBC2's Dr Who 30th Anniversary repeats season.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    What was the point of her saying "Hello, Benjamin"? I don't get that at all.

She was quoting Mrs Robinson from "The Graduate".

She had just regenerated into a more "mature" form and now appeared older than the Doctor so called him Benjamin aftet the character in the film.

The Doctor had earlier (later for River) called her Mrs Robinson in The Impossible Astronaut.
    The 2011 Doctor Who episode "The Impossible Astronaut" has the young-looking Eleventh Doctor introduce his middle-aged future wife River Song in 1969 to President Nixon as "Mrs. Robinson", a nod towards a hinted-at romantic relationship between the two in the Doctor's future and in River's past (due to time-travel).[6] River's line "Hello, Benjamin" spoken in the Doctor Who episode "Let's Kill Hitler" is a quote from a line spoken by Anne Bancroft as Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate.[7]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool.
    Was just wondering, as I thought the peg dolls was maybe the least good s6 episode. In an otherwise excellent series I Thought. I was going to say don't worry the series does get better again afterwards:) hehe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    She was quoting Mrs Robinson from "The Graduate".

She had just regenerated into a more "mature" form and now appeared older than the Doctor so called him Benjeman aftet the character in the film.

The Doctor had earlier (later for River) called her Mrs Robinson in The Impossible Astronaut.

Oh, that's why! I get it now. Haven't seen The Graduate. Will do now. Love the music from the film. I'm a huge Simon and Garfunkel fan. I've got the Definitive Simon and Garfunkel from 1991 on CD, plus the 1981 Concert in Central Park on DVD. Will have to get The Graduate on DVD. I dunno why I haven't seen the film before. I'm a big Dustin Hoffman fan and have a lot of his films on DVD. My all time favourites are Kramer Vs. Kramer, Tootsie, Rain Man and Midnight Cowboy.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd only seen that episode once, and missed a bit of it due to making dinner...
    It was quite a laugh! All in all I think a classic episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely a very good episode this one:)

I did notice this time around that when the Tesselecta was telling them about the Silence, who they were etc, and also mentioned 'the question' and fields of Tranzalore. The big thing that the Tesselecta people mentioned though was that River hadn't been punished for her crime, and they intended to punish her for a crime she 'got away with' - which was killing the Doctor.

We know she gets locked up in Storm Cage- which is punishment for killing the doctor at lake Silencio.
    So- the Tesselecta should have no 'beef' with River for that.
    This is before the doctor starts wiping himself from records all over the place too, so they must be after River for killing the Doctor AGAIN- some other time (at least being blamed for it in the records). I'd guess that might be at the fields of Tranzalore??

PS I think that is a great thing about series 6 (for me at least), that it still gets me thinking after all this time:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did notice this time around that when the Tesselecta was telling them about the Silence, who they were etc, and also mentioned 'the question' and fields of Tranzalore. The big thing that the Tesselecta people mentioned though was that River hadn't been punished for her crime, and they intended to punish her for a crime she 'got away with' - which was killing the Doctor.

We know she gets locked up in Storm Cage- which is punishment for killing the doctor at lake Silencio.
    This is before the doctor starts wiping himself from records all over the place too, so they must be after River for killing the Doctor AGAIN- some other time (at least being blamed for it in the records). I'd guess that might be at the fields of Tranzalore??

PS I think that is a great thing about series 6 (for me at least), that it still gets me thinking after all this time:)

Their records show the doctor as dying in a fixed space-time event next to the lake in Utah. That's the crime.
    Somewhat ironic that in the video the captain was watching of the event, he was watching his own ship take the hit.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member

From that Tesselecta's point of view, the crime has already happened, but they haven't caught up with River yet. No need to assume a second crime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets Kill Hitler is one of my favourites....love it on re-watch :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some things just didn't make sense though. Why was the doctors search such a bust ?.
    He claimed he knew exactly where to find her. Yes we saw too in DOTM earth florida orphanage 1960s.Why couldn't he just go there grab her and take her home ?. Instead she had to wait years and find her own way back to Ledworth and her unsuspecting parents. He didn't "find" her. She found him as an adult in the field after he returned empty handed. He also said he took a day off. Who takes a day off when they are trying to rescue their best freinds child from kidnapers?. Plus there is the tardis and her telepathic abilities. Melody wants to kill hitler tardis crashes into his office where he shots and kills her instead. Good job she regenerated. 11 told her she is the "child of the tardis". Why didn't he just tell it to find Melody Pond and she/it could have take him straight to her. Idris even told him in TDW."I allways take you where you need to go". They then leave her asleep in hospital because of foreknowledge knowing nothing has changed. 11 is still going to die at that point even he didn't know it would be a fake death and she is still going to prison for it.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am much preferring this series the second time round. knowing who river song is now and how it all pans out it's really interesting seeing how it all fits together. plus it actually makes sense and doesn't seem remotely confusing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    I'd only seen that episode once, and missed a bit of it due to making dinner...
    It was quite a laugh! All in all I think a classic episode.

Yes, it had the feel of a Patrick Troughton story, I thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some things just didn't make sense though. Why was the doctors search such a bust ?.
    He claimed he knew exactly where to find her. Yes we saw too in DOTM earth florida orphanage 1960s.Why couldn't he just go there grab her and take her home ?. Instead she had to wait years and find her own way back to Ledworth and her unsuspecting parents. He didn't "find" her. She found him as an adult in the field after he returned empty handed. He also said he took a day off. Who takes a day off when they are trying to rescue their best freinds child from kidnapers?. Plus there is the tardis and her telepathic abilities. Melody wants to kill hitler tardis crashes into his office where he shots and kills her instead. Good job she regenerated. 11 told her she is the "child of the tardis". Why didn't he just tell it to find Melody Pond and she/it could have take him straight to her. Idris even told him in TDW."I allways take you where you need to go". They then leave her asleep in hospital because of foreknowledge knowing nothing has changed. 11 is still going to die at that point even he didn't know it would be a fake death and she is still going to prison for it.

You've answered your own question:)
    That is exactly why the Tardis couldn't/didn't want to take him straight to River. It knew/knows everything and all possibilities and everything that can and will happen. If it knows that the order of events are supposed to be that River grows up with her parents as Mels then it can't go to a point before that and allow events to be changed so that that doesn't happen. Otherwise something different WOULD have happened to/with Amy and Rory, meaning they might not end up in the Tardis in order to conceive River in the first place.
    That would be a paradox with the Tardis at the Centre, and we know what happens to things at the Centre of paradoxes:)... That's right, absolutely nothing happens because they never existed:) . So, very bad if that were to happen. The Tardis HAS to allow events to happen as they did. It IS taking him to where he needs to be.

I might be wrong about the tesselecta thinking River had a second crime to be punished for. BUT maybe they don't have footage of the 2ND crime and are just showing what they have. I was busy with 2 kids in the room last night so didn't catch it all on this viewing, so maybe when I saw the bit where they were talking about 'the question will be asked...' and I started thinking, I had missed the showing footage of lake silencio, so missed that part. But it still kinda fits together I think. It could still be the Case there was another unpunished crime. (not great odds, but possible).

As for the point about being like a Troughton story, I think a lot of this series was like the best bits of classic who, mixed with modern special effects etc. so far series 7 hasn't had that feeling. I hope it returns in 7b, as it does add a certain something that just makes it 'feel' like a better episode all round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the series 7 part 1 stories had a Colin Baker feel to it with the worst of Sylvester's Doctor. Although when Amy and Rory were taken back in time by the weeping angels, it had the same feeling as when Adric died during the Fifth Doctor's era.

As for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. That was complete pants! The characters didn't seem to do much during that one. That story has to be one of the worst since the show came back in 2005.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My question about this episode (among others) is - what's a voice interface?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My question about this episode (among others) is - what's a voice interface?

Computer, tea, earl gray, hot. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Computer, tea, earl gray, hot. :)

So you're saying the Doctor was talking to the Tardis Computer? Is that the same as talking to the Tardis?

I don't recall Picard getting a reply, btw - not in words, I mean - just the tea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The computer was always talking back to them in star trek. And on the holodeck it could make a human lookalike for you to talk to too:)

PS I think of the Tardis currently as a kind of ghost in the machine.part computer, part living thing IN a computer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The computer was always talking back to them in star trek. And on the holodeck it could make a human lookalike for you to talk to too:)

OK, but what I mean is - is the voice interface that the Doctor talks to in LKH the actual Tardis he is talking to? And is it the Tardis talking back? Because if so, why has he never done it before (as far as I know)? and what was the big deal about talking to Idris in TDW if the Doctor can chat with the Tardis anytime?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, but what I mean is - is the voice interface that the Doctor talks to in LKH the actual Tardis he is talking to? And is it the Tardis talking back? Because if so, why has he never done it before (as far as I know)? and what was the big deal about talking to Idris in TDW if the Doctor can chat with the Tardis anytime?

Dear Granny (I can call you Granny yes? If not forgive me Mrs McSmith)

Though I am a great writer every so often I throw in a completely mind bending plot point that makes no real sense. I do it because it seems cool. Like bow ties. But yes. On reflection I should perhaps be more considered in my thinking. After all. I managed to take the sacred act of regeneration and turn it into an event akin to eating a bowl,of cornflakes. Please forgive my sometimes silly decisions. I have learnt my lesson. I think. Maybe.

kind regards,

The Moff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear Granny (I can call you Granny yes? If not forgive me Mrs McSmith)

Though I am a great writer every so often I throw in a completely mind bending plot point that makes no real sense. I do it because it seems cool. Like bow ties. But yes. On reflection I should perhaps be more considered in my thinking. After all. I managed to take the sacred act of regeneration and turn it into an event akin to eating a bowl,of cornflakes. Please forgive my sometimes silly decisions. I have learnt my lesson. I think. Maybe.

kind regards,

The Moff

So saladfingers is The Moff? Or perhaps he just thinks he is? :eek::p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh. Well of my theory about the ghost in the machine type thing fits then he'd be just accessing the computer. But it's maybe like in ghost where patrick swayze can't really affect the real world but his presence can be felt in other ways under some circumstances. So while the computer is being accessed maybe the Tardis can influence certain things the computer is doing?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So saladfingers is The Moff? Or perhaps he just thinks he is? :eek::p:D

I wish. I wish. (whisper it but Season Six would've been alot better if I was)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh. Well of my theory about the ghost in the machine type thing fits then he'd be just accessing the computer. But it's maybe like in ghost where patrick swayze can't really affect the real world but his presence can be felt in other ways under some circumstances. So while the computer is being accessed maybe the Tardis can influence certain things the computer is doing?

The Voice Interface certainly had access to the TARDIS medical scanner and databanks.