WHITNEY HOUSTON & MARIAH CAREY, which one is the best singer in the recorded history?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I actually prefer Celine :o.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are just talking Mariah and Whitney then its Whitney. Whitney at her vocal peak I don't think anyone could touch.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Singer - Whitney

Artist - Mariah
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    Singer - Whitney

Artist - Mariah

Agreed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the two it is undoubtedly Whitney. Mariah can sing but her voice is utterly soulless. Personally I much prefer Karen Carpenter and Dusty Springfield to either of those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscars '99 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qX3eQVnQ0

Here is your answer. Clearly Mariah's face at 2:33 shows she knows the answer too.

Mariah is a better artist, but Whitney was the VOICE.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither is "the best singer in the recorded history" :sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Mariah has had some amazing vocal moments in her career, but Whitney wins by a landslide. It's not just about the high notes. It's the tone, the style, the perfect pitch, everything!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »

Out of pure vocal range who was/is better than Whitney tho?? she could hold a note for over 90 seconds when at her very best!! You would be hard pushed to find another vocalist with the power of Whitney. I could only list a couple but even then they don't come close.

Whitney was genuinely a one off.

Agree with Michael above. I would also say Whitney was not only the better singer but the better artist. Mariah might have had great moments but its about more than that. Yes Whitney's latter half of her career didn't match her first half but then neither has Mariah's...
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of pure vocal range who was/is better than Whitney tho?? she could hold a note for over 90 seconds when at her very best!! You would be hard pushed to find another vocalist with the power of Whitney. I could only list a couple but even then they don't come close.
    Not to nitpick, I love Whitney, but please do not exagerate her vocal ability. I highly doubt she could sustain a note for 90 seconds. Singing takes up a lot of breath.
    But what is her longest recorded note? I know Mariah's is something like...21 seconds in 'Lead the Way', followed by the partially shorter ones like a 16 second C5 in 'We Belong Together'.
    Agree with Michael above. I would also say Whitney was not only the better singer but the better artist. Mariah might have had great moments but its about more than that. Yes Whitney's latter half of her career didn't match her first half but then neither has Mariah's...
    I'm pretty sure the word artist is towards actual artistry. Mariah is definitely the better artist - she writes, produces, sings, records, and performs all of her own material. I think a specific quote from her early career was something like "stick me with whatever songwriter you want, but don't put me in front of a microphone and have me sing someone else's song."
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Mariah has had some amazing vocal moments in her career, but Whitney wins by a landslide. It's not just about the high notes. It's the tone, the style, the perfect pitch, everything!
    A contradiction here. Mariah has perfect pitch, and I mean perfect. The most perfect that a pitch has ever been. Why do you think she can sing in the whistle register in any note she chooses to at any given time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Mariah has recorded someone else's song. When You Believe is not hers and neither is I'll Be There.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah at her peak (music box and daydream) was divine!
    I think she has list we voice somewhat recently but so did Whitney
  • Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah

This is the greatest vocal performance I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65pzEJqTir0

Blows me away everytime.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now i'm a fan of the big power vocalist sans Mariah etc :p but for me thay never will be the greatest recording artist singing isn't belting out a tune or hitting a note only dogs can hear :p But for me.

Mariah has the package great voice and a leverl of srtistry that is rare among singers like her to write and sing her own material is unheard of and at her peak 1990-98 she truly created some great music and truly wonderful albums. But vocally I would say Celine and Whitney beat her hands down they have power behind their voices and control and perfection unheard of two wonderful powerhouse vocalists. Mariah was always more sultry and restrained with a velvet tone and pitch perfection.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she could hold a note for over 90 seconds when at her very best!! You would be hard pushed to find another vocalist with the power of Whitney. I could only list a couple but even then they don't come close.

Whitney was genuinely a one off.

Streisand belted out a 19second note on her song "a piece of sky". listen to that and you'll see just how long 19secs is! 90secs is nigh on impossible at full belt :)
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh, and I loved the bodyguard era songs of Whitney...

I used to love Mariah, but I hate this whisper singing she always does now. Her "normal" voice is far better than that.

I'd probably have to go with Singer Whitney, Artist Mariah too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question. Why does everybody always forget about Patti Labelle? It's always Whitney or Mariah when it should be Whitney or Patti? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hYxuDav0g Who knew the alphabet could be so fantastic?
  • SavyannahSavyannah Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Clearly Whitney by a landslide, mariah just whails on a note
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Whitney. Followed by Celine, then Mariah
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of those two, Whitney had more soul and a nicer tone to her voice.

However, both of them bore the backside off of me. I can only name 2 or 3 Whitney songs that were not dull and tedious (imo) and can't name a single Mariah song that does anything for me at all.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    I second this. No other female in music history has more Grammy awards than my most favorite. :):):)

God bless you and Alison Krauss always!!! :):):)

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)
  • tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the warming tone Whitney delivers, so she wins between these two divas. But that does not mean either have possessed the 'best' singer award, personal preferences, like the post above means that no one person is the 'best'.

Like others have said, Karen Carpenter and Dusty Springfield are wonderful singers as well.
  • tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Whitney, back in the day she was 'the voice' x