How do you find a better video card

GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
Forum Member
✭✭
This is my computer

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02881444#N418

which runs a :
NVIDIA GeForce 405 graphics card.
This is the specs of the card:

Interface: PCI Express x16
  • HDMI resolution: 1920x1080
  • DVI: 1600x1200x32bpp @ 60Hz
  • VGA resolution: 1920x1440x32bpp @ 75Hz (via dongle)
  • 1 GB onboard memory
I want it to run games so it needs to be super fast. Simcity 2013 mainly, but also Farcry.

So how do I go about this? any ideas??? :confused:

is this one better and will it work on high settings?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GeForce-GT630-Nvidia-Graphics/dp/B00896KEXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1363535040&sr=1-1

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO this list of graphics boards in descending order of processing power is extremely useful: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32611-7.html
    (link is to the Jan-13 edition of the article, which I think is the latest at the moment)
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will all of those work with my PC?

I also do a lot of 3D rendering and I need it to do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Will all of those work with my PC?
    First thing is to check the interface. It's probably PCI-E but very old computers might have the AGP interface. They are not compatible. I think both standards have had several versions but I don't know how important that factor is.

Then consider whether your computer's power supply can cope with the demands of a powerful video board. That's in terms of the total wattage of the entire computer compared with what the power supply is rated at, and whether there's a spare internal power cable (some video boards need that).

You also need to think about whether the computer's ventilation system can cope with the heat output of a powerful board.

The last two factors are tricky and it's normally difficult to get reliable information but as a rule of thumb I guess it would probably be wise to avoid getting a new board that is vastly more powerful than the current board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interface is PCI Express x16.

So what do you think of

CORSAIR 8GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233192

and GeForce GT 630
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/KFA2-GeForce-GT630-DDR3-Graphics/dp/B0085JR5TW

Does it matter that the memory card also has only 1GB still? it would be going from a GeForce 405 to the GeForce GT 630.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure you're limited to a low profile graphics card in your slimline PC. Also, I expect the power supply is 300 watts or less (probably worth checking yourself exactly what it is by looking at the label on the PSU).

This limits your options and rules out the more powerful graphics cards. Best you can do is a AMD Radeon HD 7750 Low Profile. If that's more than you wanted to spend there's also the 6670 Low Profile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these are 1 GB, doesn't that make a difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

The amount of graphics memory will control the board's maximum resolution (but there's no point in that being higher than the monitor can handle). I've read that some software can use graphics memory to hold 3D textures and meshes but I don't know how accurate that claim is.

There seems to be conflicting opinion regarding the relative importance of the graphics processor's power and the amount of graphics memory. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of memory doesn't make much difference on these low to mid-range graphics cards. The type of memory is much more important when it comes to performance (GDDR5 is faster than DDR3).
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    The amount of memory doesn't make much difference on these low to mid-range graphics cards. The type of memory is much more important when it comes to performance (GDDR5 is faster than DDR3).

^^^^ This.

Unless you are output high resolution to multiple screens then the other item that graphics use RAM for is holding 3d objects mainly for gaming.

What I would do is check the software that you are using for your 3D rendering and see if it has hardware acceleration for any specific graphics card. ATI/AMD and Nvidia (and Intel) all have 3D rendering support but its down to the software as to if its implemented.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also do a lot of 3D rendering and I need it to do that.

Are you talking rendering using a 3d animation/visualization package? In which case the bulk of the actual rendering is still worked out by your cpu, the strength of you graphic card comes into play mainly in previews.

What 3d software are you using?
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys,

This thread is timely for me providing advice to my father. He is currently doing financial trading from home. Currently using a Full HD monitor and a second monitor of 1280x1024, probably looking to add another monitor of 1280x1024 or another Full HD monitor.

We've just bought a PC with an AMD Radeon 7770 graphics card with 1GB RAM.

Would this card be fine for two monitors of 1920 x 1080 and one of 1280 x 1024?

Additionally, he is using one monitor on HDMI, one on DVI, his card has a displayport remaining and the third monitor he wants to use (that we already had in the house) has only a VGA connection. I've been trying to find a displayport - VGA cable but only finding either mini-displayport to vga cables or displayport-VGA adaptor boxes. What is the best way to connect these two monitors? A long way could be display-port to DVI adapter then DVI-VGA adapter?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Are you talking rendering using a 3d animation/visualization package? In which case the bulk of the actual rendering is still worked out by your cpu, the strength of you graphic card comes into play mainly in previews.

What 3d software are you using?

That isn't true. Maya etc DO hardware rendering.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That isn't true. Maya etc DO hardware rendering.

As does Max but it depends on the engine being used for starters

Also, there's HA for pre vis and HA for final renders. Not everything is compatible with HA for final renders. There are some specific engines that do a decent job, though. But in my line of work it's not really worth the hassle.