Two new services on SDN - 179- "Bluebird TV" and 790 - "Test"

2»

Comments

• David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if its going to run 24 hours. then it looks like bluebird is not time sharing with a other channel. it also looks like to me that they are not the one's that will be using the stream that was put up for sale some time ago as those hours were midnight to 6am. the hours that playboy chat tv used.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is channel 179 (not in the 200s), and has four streams.... has anyone given thought to the fact it might be like the old BBC News interactive on DTT? They could have 4 1/4 screens with the audio selected by an MHEG app.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    It's in the adult block to satisfy DMOL and Ofcom EPG rules, regardless of whether it is a streamed or "proper" channel.
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »

Oh well, more Freeview channels that very few will be able to watch.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just read on the bluebird TV forum that channel 179 will work with normal Freeview service.I don't see how this will work having said that would it not be better to have 4 LCN.I guess time will tell.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    I have just read on the bluebird TV forum that channel 179 will work with normal Freeview service.I don't see how this will work having said that would it not be better to have 4 LCN.I guess time will tell.

It will work on normal the Freeview service, however any box or TV would have to have a working ethernet port for an internet connection.

And as far as I am aware, only Freeview HD boxes have this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It will work on normal the Freeview service, however any box or TV would have to have a working ethernet port for an internet connection.

And as far as I am aware, only Freeview HD boxes have this.

I see but in the pass it has been reported on this forum that some HD boxes do not work with this type of channel (IPTV),
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see but in the pass it has been reported on this forum that some HD boxes do not work with this type of channel (IPTV),
    True, they don't - sometimes it's down to the box firmware, other times it's the stream not conforming to the standard.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see but in the past it has been reported on this forum that some HD boxes do not work with this type of channel (IPTV),

That's right. In fact very little equipment in the UK is compatible with these IPTV/OTT Freeview services.

This is a list of current compatible devices for the Vision TV network, and I assume that this is the same for other services using similar protocol:

http://www.visiontvnetwork.co.uk/home/devices

I'm surprised that the YouView box isn't listed, but perhaps the YouView consortium see third party OTT services as competition to their own offering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right. In fact very little equipment in the UK is compatible with these IPTV/OTT Freeview services.

This is a list of current compatible devices for the Vision TV network, and I assume that this is the same for other services using similar protocol:

http://www.visiontvnetwork.co.uk/home/devices

I'm surprised that the YouView box isn't listed, but perhaps the YouView consortium see third party OTT services as competition to their own offering.
    Certainly, that list is not definitive - my DigitalStream PVR is compatible with Vision TV but is not listed.

Oddly enough though, the DigitalStream is not compatible with The Space.
  • kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me glad i live in a freeview lite area so don't get all these rubbish channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevin88 wrote: »
    Makes me glad i live in a freeview lite area so don't get all these rubbish channels.

It's not an issue in full Freeview areas - you simply delete the channels. :)
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's not an issue in full Freeview areas - you simply delete the channels. :)
    Exactly - surely better to live in an area with channels you don't want and can delete than in one without channels you do want but can't add!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well channel 179 is starting on monday 14th as on there twitter page just now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hidden on my EPG, along with quite a lot on COMs 4-6: includimg the A+N Mobile + TV Text Services on LCNs 201-204. Tidier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BLUEBIRD TV LAUNCHING ON FREEVIEW THIS MONDAY 14TH JANUARY!

Right, we're happy to announce that after a slight bit of confusion and a hiatus due to the festive/holiday period... Bluebird TV will officially be launching on Freeview TV from 11am on Monday! You will need to have an internet connection to your TV via set top box view the Bluebird TV portal and click through to enjoy the service. This is a very new feature to the Freeview platform, and it is the first time you will be able to view 4 streams via the one channel on Freeview!

From bluebird TV forum.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,780
    Forum Member
    From bluebird TV forum.

I assume that this wont be available for most people who dont have the most recent HD TVs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    I assume that this wont be available for most people who dont have the most recent HD TVs?
    It will require that the device has a fully-functional ethernet port, as well as the necessary firmware to support the service (similar to that found on the Connect TV channels on the HD mux).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a very new feature to the Freeview platform, and it is the first time you will be able to view 4 streams via the one channel on Freeview!
    So they haven't heard of the Connect TV channel portals then.

http://www.connect-tv.tv/what-we-do/
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Pfft, I thought you wouldn't have to have an internet connection to get it on FV, I am ultra disappointed, unless you can have it if you have FV HD of course. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bluebird TV coming soon message has been removed and is now a blank screen.

Any one got any news on this?

Has it been removed from the freeview EPG as i not going to rescan.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bluebird TV coming soon message has been removed and is now a blank screen.

Any one got any news of this has it been removed as i not going to rescan.

It was like that yesterday. i did a recan & it still came up. but if it's started should it not show a message on screen . so my thinking is that this channel is not going to start on freeview.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <snip> Bluebird TV <snip> Has it been removed from the freeview EPG

It's still in the LCN snd SDT tables.

Perhaps this is a good example of why posting future predictions of things into the changelog is a bad idea - eg twitter and PR announcements. If we stick to factual reporting of changes which have been observed to have already happened then we won't end up with inaccurate clutter in the changelog. The PR stuff is best posted in a thread like this one.
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on what 790 will be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluebird TV has been removed from LCN 179 and from the SDT as of approx 12:10 today.

Source: direct observation from Winter Hill

Thanks you Greebo for the information.