Strictlys Sir Bruce & The Rolling Stones - At Glastonbury - Now Thats Entertainment ?

Comments

• Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    The non-PC bits mentioned in the Guardian review :

A so-called joke (described as being near the bone) about the mother of a girl being outside his dressing room door.

A Jewish joke, and stuff about hating the French. An "advert" for his Yamaha piano, done in a Charlie Chan accent.

So glad he finds the scandals involving his peers and their victims amusing and I'd have been cringing in even more embarrassment than I normally do when I catch sight of Mr Forsyth. I don't find anything to do with Saville and co remotly amusing, and only find jokes which have a racist slant funny when their about my own country.
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Terry's thread title tries to makes it sound like BF was performing WITH the Rolling Stones. Hysterical.

I made damn sure that he did not infect my TV this weekend. Every time he was mentioned (which was about twice!) I turned over so I had no idea that his performance was as dereadful as Janet43 mentions above. What a horrible, horrible man to make jokes about the saville thing. He was on BBC breakfast today gurning away and saying something along the lines of he was the "Rolling Stones 2". Funny how he has to name-drop actual rock stars in order to big himself up.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    The non-PC bits mentioned in the Guardian review :

A so-called joke (described as being near the bone) about the mother of a girl being outside his dressing room door.

A Jewish joke, and stuff about hating the French. An "advert" for his Yamaha piano, done in a Charlie Chan accent.

So glad he finds the scandals involving his peers and their victims amusing and I'd have been cringing in even more embarrassment than I normally do when I catch sight of Mr Forsyth. I don't find anything to do with Saville and co remotly amusing, and only find jokes which have a racist slant funny when their about my own country.

3 posts in just one day on the same topic. Have you anything better to do than slag an OAP off on an Internet message board? If you hate him so much why are you digging around for articles about an appearance that has nothing to do with SCD?
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    flyingv wrote: »
    I love how Terry's thread title tries to makes it sound like BF was performing WITH the Rolling Stones. Hysterical.

Yes he did that to troll people and you completely fell for it......
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Having watched the fabulous Kenny Rogers working his magic on the main crowd at the same time Brucie was on,the last thing I would want to go and see in a side tent would be this tired old has been churning out the same old rubbish he's been doing for the last century or so.

I didn't see his performance, nor have I read any reviews, but surely those who did go and see him were only there out of curiosity?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Having watched the fabulous Kenny Rogers working his magic on the main crowd at the same time Brucie was on,the last thing I would want to go and see in a side tent would be this tired old has been churning out the same old rubbish he's been doing for the last century or so.

I didn't see his performance, nor have I read any reviews, but surely those who did go and see him were only there out of curiosity?

In my opinion Kenny was a lot better than some of the other performances which were tripe, but sadly, he's a shadow of his former self.

Mind you, you could probably say that about many of us.
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    3 posts in just one day on the same topic. Have you anything better to do than slag an OAP off on an Internet message board? If you hate him so much why are you digging around for articles about an appearance that has nothing to do with SCD?
    No of course I haven't! I'm a doddery old pensioner with nothing better to do but sit at my computer all day long making snide remarks about an old codger who I find a complete embarrassment!

To be more accurate, I don't dig around for articles - I read the Guardian (and other papers) on line and came across the review, which I thought might interest some, even if not you. The rest of my day is completely full with worthwhile and fulfilling activities.

In any case it's no-one's business but mine if I decide to post one or 100 posts in a day! You don't have to read them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No of course I haven't! I'm a doddery old pensioner with nothing better to do but sit at my computer all day long making snide remarks about an old codger who I find a complete embarrassment!

To be more accurate, I don't dig around for articles - I read the Guardian (and other papers) on line and came across the review, which I thought might interest some, even if not you. The rest of my day is completely full with worthwhile and fulfilling activities.

In any case it's no-one's business but mine if I decide to post one or 100 posts in a day! You don't have to read them.

One of the small incidental pleasures in life, is the amusement you can get, from someone else getting themselves in a state over your opinion of "someone on the telly."
    I mean, for cryin' out loud!
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't some people take D.S. seriously! :rolleyes: Others think it's their mission personally to police the threads. Isn't D.S. here to provoke discussion, share views and promote a stimulating exchange of opinions?
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't some people take D.S. seriously! :rolleyes: Others think it's their mission personally to police the threads. Isn't D.S. here to provoke discussion, share views and promote a stimulating exchange of opinions?

Indeedy, as anyone could go see Brucie at Glastonbury and many chose to and the audience of a packed-out and adoring Avalon tent would be enjoying the time they decided to give to the ‘showbiz knight who brings the old school to a new audience, with an energy to match Sir Mick’. It's just a thought but not being in search of perceived slights and prejudices allows any crowd wanting to see Sir Brucie to enjoy his performance because they've done the choosing and not had it decided by DS contributors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Indeedy, as anyone could go see Brucie at Glastonbury and many chose to and the audience of a packed-out and adoring Avalon tent would be enjoying the time they decided to give to the ‘showbiz knight who brings the old school to a new audience, with an energy to match Sir Mick’. It's just a thought but not being in search of perceived slights and prejudices allows any crowd wanting to see Sir Brucie to enjoy his performance because they've done the choosing and not had it decided by DS contributors.

This is true, but his "act" was also panned by the critics, as many on here thought it would be.
    He just isn't funny any more and when you get to the stage where you have to "tap dance whilst you're sitting down" it's really time to go.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another oldie making his debut was 85-year-old Sir Bruce Forsyth, who emerged on the Avalon Stage to the Strictly Come Dancing theme and introduced himself as "The Rolling Stones 2", before playing a set of music hall standards, including Gershwin's Funny Face.

The turn-out for Sir Bruce was so large that security officers shut down the Avalon field for 20 minutes, as hundreds of fans spilled out of the tent into the field beyond.
    "He's a legend," said Victoria, from New Zealand. "I thought I'd be able to get front row but I'm stuck out in the back and can't see him."

"You're seeing one man who's got multiple skills all coalesced into one perfect presenter," said Taylor, a young, tattooed fan from Middlesbrough. "Everyone wants to be like this guy. To be that energetic when you're about 107 is just inspirational."

Brucie proving yet again he's still got it at 107. :D:D

I was gutted that we couldn't get the hole in the tent repaired in time to make the pilgrimage to Glastonberry to pay homage to living legends sir bruce and the rolling stones, but it was great to see all the thousands that did make it and to hear their glowing comments as you have quoted, sir bruce and the rolling stones made Glastonberry a glowing weekend to remember. for years to come.

I loved hearing all the glowing praise of sir bruce from
    the public.

" He's a legend, he knows how to work the crowd, he's a genius. "

sir bruce and the rolling stones were quite astute in not allowing the BBC to transmit the whole of their performances, leaving us all wanting more and champing at the bit to buy their dvd's, this has gone right to the top of my summer wish list, I'm finding it increasingly hard to contain my excitement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's how it should be done.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQJzcldzAw

:cool::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true, but his "act" was also panned by the critics, as many on here thought it would be.
    He just isn't funny any more and when you get to the stage where you have to "tap dance whilst you're sitting down" it's really time to go.

If the audience members enjoyed Brucie's performance why would it be important what any critics decide for them? He's still on stage and was far from alone in the Avalon tent such was the spillage from those wanting to see him. Although some folks seem confused about what he has to offer maybe Brucie should have been allocated a larger arena where the Glasto audience were all in plain sight of him as that's who they wanted to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I was gutted that we couldn't get the hole in the tent repaired in time to make the pilgrimage to Glastonberry to pay homage to living legends sir bruce and the rolling stones, but it was great to see all the thousands that did make it and to hear their glowing comments as you have quoted, sir bruce and the rolling stones made Glastonberry a glowing weekend to remember. for years to come.

I loved hearing all the glowing praise of sir bruce from
    the public.

" He's a legend, he knows how to work the crowd, he's a genius. "

sir bruce and the rolling stones were quite astute in not allowing the BBC to transmit the whole of their performances, leaving us all wanting more and champing at the bit to buy their dvd's, this has gone right to the top of my summer wish list, I'm finding it increasingly hard to contain my excitement.

For me it was such a relief there was no mud and anyone wanting to get where they wanted to enjoy whoever they wanted to see, be it the Avalon or elsewhere. ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry in your opening post on this thread you said:

That didn't happen; nor was it likely to happen. Mr Forsyth is not only billed to appear on a different time and different stage but also on a different day (this afternoon sandwiched in the middle of a load of people I've never heard of). Unless he did it at home, there was no chance that Mr Forsyth would sing along with Mick on anything last night.

You are quite right, sir bruce didn't end up singing along with mick jagger to brown sugar, mores the pity, it was on my wish list that's for sure, but I'm sure I spotted him in the wings having a quick jig.

Its amazing all the genuine love that was expressed from festival goers towards sir bruce when they were interviewed after his performance on the bbc.

It was refreshing hearing from real people in the real world expressing their heart felt affection for a living legend, it is in stark contrast to the make believe and fantasy of the internet where you get the unedifying spectacle of some having a few to many sherries on a Saturday night and then going on line to ramble on about wanting to pelt poor sir bruce with eggs as happened to poor Simon on X Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it was such a relief there was no mud and anyone wanting to get where they wanted to enjoy whoever they wanted to see, be it the Avalon or elsewhere. ;):D

The only reason we didn't make it in the end was because of the hole in the tent that I couldn't get repaired in time, as it turned out the weather was great and I needn't of worried, as you say it was nice to see all the festival goers being able to enjoy themselves without all the usual mud wrestling that normally takes place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are quite right, sir bruce didn't end up singing along with mick jagger to brown sugar, mores the pity, it was on my wish list that's for sure, but I'm sure I spotted him in the wings having a little jig.

I believe there is a double misprint here. Do you not mean waving a little wig ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe there is a double misprint here. Do you not mean waving a little wig ?

It was actually a single error on my part, I meant to say,

'having a quick jig'

thank you for your eagle eye, I have managed to correct my message just in time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too late, Terry, for I have captured your original words in perpetuity. There still seems to be an error, though. Did you not mean having a quick cig ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too late, Terry, for I have captured your original words in perpetuity. There still seems to be an error, though. Did you not mean having a quick cig ?

It matters not really, the main thing is that every festival goer the BBC interviewed, all sang Sir Bruces praises, it proves that the wider public do love our Sir Bruce, I was confident of this all along but it is nice to have it verified every now and then by random interviews with the GBP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It matters not really, the main thing is that every festival goer the BBC interviewed, all sang Sir Bruces praises, it proves that the wider public do love our Sir Bruce, I was confident of this all along but it is nice to have it verified every now and then by random interviews with the GBP.

Wrong Terry,

The BBC only showed the clips of people who said they liked him. How many said he was a joke and those weren't shown?
    Forum Member
    Mr Forsyth wouldn't have been in the wings when the Rolling Stones were on stage, jigging or anything else - he'd have been at home in the comfort of his mansion and only turned up at Glastonbury for his turn in the afternoon before getting home for bed by 10 pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Forsyth wouldn't have been in the wings when the Rolling Stones were on stage, jigging or anything else - he'd have been at home in the comfort of his mansion and only turned up at Glastonbury for his turn in the afternoon before getting home for bed by 10 pm.

It was Sir Bruce I thought I saw in the wings, not a 'Mr'
    Forum Member
    It was Sir Bruce I thought I saw in the wings, not a 'Mr'
    You call him what you want; he's still Mr as far as I'm concerned. There are far more deserving people who haven't received knighthoods. Seems they're given out like sweets now and have no meaning. And I say that as someone who has brother who was also given an award for doing his job and been paid handsomely for it. He keeps his award in a drawer and doesn't use his title because he says that nowadays awards are valueless and his own case proves it.

And whatever you want to call him, he wasn't there on the same day as the Stones, so you couldn't have seen him in the wings. As I said he was at home in his comfortable mansion except for going to Glastonbury, getting on stage for an hour and then going home.