Much loved cat is missing, help/advice please..

trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello pet owners,

My cat Bobby has been missing since Wednesday evening. He's a neutered tuxedo, a real home cat who only nips out for a pee and is usually indoors the bulk of the time. I'm especially worried due to the horrendous weather and temperatures at the moment. I plan to make some leaflets tomorrow, but I'm a total novice at this and would appreciate any tips, advice, or links any of you can provide.

My other tuxedo Trixie is curled up with me and Bobby is very much missed. They're siblings. :(

Cheers

P.S. I read through some similar threads but nothing like this has happened to us before and I'm a bit lost as to where to start.

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear you're missing your kitty. Besides teh flyers go to your local shops as well but most importantly call in your local vets, the local shelters and the local wardens. If your cat has been picked up or found hopefully a sensible person will go straight to one of those and ask them to note the animal.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, the bad weather is making it so much more worrying. Just remembered an acquaintance of mine is a regional higher-up with the CPL/PDSA, she loves cats and might be able to help - I'll contact her tomorrow in addition to leaflets/vets/wardens.
  • ktboilsktboils Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Awww, I hope Bobby is home very soon. xx
  • Ivory219Ivory219 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Hi there, really sorry to hear your cat has gone missing :(
    Have you had a look at this website? http://www.nationalpetregister.org/
    You can have a look see if anyone has found him, and also post a message about
    Bobby aswell.
    Hope he turns up very soon x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hi I would advise you to go around and knock on every single door in your surrounding neighbourhood asking the occupants if they could check sheds garages outhouses etc. When I was younger our family cat went missing for ages (it seemed like a year to me) we wrote out a note and after I got permission from the Primary School this note was read out by every teacher to the kids. Great result one of the kids reported her friend had taken my cat home with her one day. The family knew our cat was missing but decided to keep quiet. With this information we went banging on their door! Our cat went home with us safe and sound. :mad:
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    When my cat Poppy went missing in August 2011 I put up poster with a photo and details on it. I then made flyers and dropped them into every house nearby. When phone calls came in as a result of the postersIi then delivered flyers to those areas. That was as well as contacting cat organisations and the vets. Sadly Poppy never came home but it made me realise from all the phone calls I got that there are a lot of cats roaming around lost. I Do hope you find Bobby and really do empathise with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    how odd - my bob has been missing too :( he's a home bug and never wanders, but after being done last friday (and let out from sat as per the vets) he dissapered for over 24 hours, then returned for about half an hour and then has been gone since :(

I hope he's just mad at me for taking him to the vets and its nothing else, but its such thick snow I hate to think of him out alone
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    trevvytrev21 I know exactly how you feel. My darling Turbo has been missing since Dec 3rd. I so hope he's wrapped up warm and being loved by someone, esp in this awful cold, snowy weather. I can only reiterate what others have said. Ask your Vets to put up one of your posters, and maybe the library and post office too. Contact Vets outside your normal area, and list your pet missing with them. And all the local and outside area rescue centres that you can. I hear so many heart warming stories of cats returning home after many weeks and months away, that I still hold out hope of my Turbo coming home. Don't give up hope, really hope Bobby is home again with you soon. Yours too bazaar1.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,012
    Forum Member
    oh good luck...its awful,thinking of you x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your on Facebook I can add you too all the missing sites. Pm me your Facebook name. Also put up a missing post on cat chat too. What area is she missing from and do you have a picture of her
    Forum Member
    Hi all, popped in to see if there was any good news?
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a lost cat group i found on facebook, may be worth joining

i hope Bobby comes home soon xxx

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LOSTSTOLENFOUNDCATSUK/
    Forum Member
    Hi I was just wondering if there was any good news?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering if there was any good news?

Yes trevvytrev21, please let (us) cat lovers know if you have had any luck. When I say 'cat lovers' I am not including myself because I don't pine any more if the cat goes missing but because it happens to all cat owners at some time or other , it can be pretty traumatic like losing a member of the family.

1997 and the postman turns up with the mail and a little kitten ''is this yours'' ..... no but it became ours and we all lived happily for 11 years. The cat (she) would roam, we wouldn't see her for days on end and sometimes when we had not seen her for a week or two we thought that was it !!
    She always came back eventually ... then we moved 2009 and everything was fine after she settled down .... went missing for 3 weeks then a neighbor found her, great relief.
    A month later disappeared again, never to be seen since :cry:.

Our present cat (she) was about 2 years old when we got her 4 years ago. She has gone missing 5-6 times over that period, the longest for 10 days.

As others have said, print up posters and put them everywhere you can. Places to look are garages, any communal bins (food) and the time to be looking is between 1am and 7 am when all is quiet.

Good Luck.
  • Harry BushmayerHarry Bushmayer Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to get out there and chap doors Trevor. Tell them to check their garages and sheds. I remember our cat went missing for a couple of days and we eventually found her stuck under the house. We were having some work done at the time and she had managed to crawl through a hole.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You need to get out there and chap doors Trevor. Tell them to check their garages and sheds. I remember our cat went missing for a couple of days and we eventually found her stuck under the house. We were having some work done at the time and she had managed to crawl through a hole.

They do get in all kinds of places.

This time of year with the cold, there is also the hunger of foxes to consider. Food will be scarce for them and they come after the cats and small dogs.
  • Harry BushmayerHarry Bushmayer Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do get in all kinds of places.

This time of year with the cold, there is also the hunger of foxes to consider. Food will be scarce for them and they come after the cats and small dogs.

My vet told me it's very uncommon for Foxes to attack cats. They would rather go for much smaller and easier targets. They don't want to risk injury.
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just about to start a thread about my daughter's missing cat.He jumped off her balcony 1st floor flat on Wed 15th Jan.We have done all the things suggested on here especially walking the streets calling etc.We too have been worried about the freezing weather.
    He went missing from the Cliftown area of Southend-on-sea Essex. So by slim chance anyone on here is from around that area please look. He is White very long thick fur with blue markings nose and ears with a grey tail.

My thoughts are also with the thread poster here,really hope you get your cat back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you add me on Facebook my name is kado Crocker and if possible a picture of your daughters cat I post around all my sites that I know off
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou Maisey Moo much appreciated.But marvellous news about 1hour ago I had a phone call and the cats been found.He had been looked after by a couple for the last few days and they put a card in a newsagents window which was seen by someone from the cats protection league.He was about half a mile away and what he had been doing up to finding someone to feed him in all that freezing weather who knows?
    He is a bit thinner but not too bad and the family especially the kids are over the moon.

Thanks again for your kindness and to the other lost owners on here don't lose hope,because I have to say I really was beginning to think we would never see him again.I will be thinking and hoping for you.
    Forum Member
    Oh that is great news. Well done. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic!
    And so nice to hear people coming together to help find your cat too.
  • tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Thankyou Maisey Moo much appreciated.But marvellous news about 1hour ago I had a phone call and the cats been found.He had been looked after by a couple for the last few days and they put a card in a newsagents window which was seen by someone from the cats protection league.He was about half a mile away and what he had been doing up to finding someone to feed him in all that freezing weather who knows?
    He is a bit thinner but not too bad and the family especially the kids are over the moon.

Thanks again for your kindness and to the other lost owners on here don't lose hope,because I have to say I really was beginning to think we would never see him again.I will be thinking and hoping for you.

I agreed to take on a cat (owners are emigrating) and they came and dropped him off on Saturday. 24 hours later and the little monkey escaped out of the house. This gives me hope that i will get him back, even if it takes a few weeks
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vet told me it's very uncommon for Foxes to attack cats. They would rather go for much smaller and easier targets. They don't want to risk injury.

A fox will not generally attack a healthy cat, as the cat can put up a very good fight and it's not worth the hassle. Our old cat (aged 20 and deaf) had to be put down after a fight with two foxes, but that was very unusual - I reckon they were curious and surprised him because he couldn't hear them coming. Our other cat has successfully defended himself many times, though, against the garden foxes.