New to Hudl

cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
I received my first Hudl a couple of days ago., I never had a tablet before, just a laptop. Using up all my vouchers for the double amount. Being a Techno phobe, I read up on the Tesco guide and You Tube. I am getting more used to it.

A few things I am wondering if I am doing wrong. I have installed the Free AVG. It has a warning if the battery goes down to 30%. I find if it goes down to 50% or a little lower, sometimes it's slows up, or difficult to shut down. I then fully recharge it. Tesco said do not charge all the time, which I don't.

I have never left it idle, yet on the performance it says 50% batter used being idle. The WiFi about a third of that. Once charged up again to 100%, it seems to work O.K. Puzzeled about the high amount for leaving it idle, whic I don't. I always switch off,after using.

I only have a couple of free games which each take about 7%. I haven't used the camera yet, or downloading videos orwatched films on it.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

AVG have something called a Task Killer. So any Apps not in use I swipe off, to save on battery.

Comments

• clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remove AVG. Its terrible on the desktop and useless on a tablet.

But installation of a task manager can be useful - there are a few reasonable & free ones available in the Play Store.

How long are you actually finding the battery lasting?
  • cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Remove AVG. Its terrible on the desktop and useless on a tablet.

But installation of a task manager can be useful - there are a few reasonable & free ones available in the Play Store.

How long are you actually finding the battery lasting?

Can you recommend a good anti virus if I need it please?

If I go on it a couple of hours, which I don't do normally, it's just I am trying to get used to it. It will go down about 25%.
    It's the idle bit using 50% battery that doesn't seem right, as I don't leave idle or sleep mode. I shut down propely.

I was on my laptop. Now back on My Hudl is now 93% battery and 35% idle and WiFi 34%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update of using Hudl

Just been on it 14 mins.

WIFI 40%
    screen 34%
    tablet idle 10%

chrome 7%

android system 3%

I am confused when I went back on my Hudl this morning Idle was 50%, the same yesterday, without leaving it only for a few seconds between apps, etc. now only 10%
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cal4751 wrote: »
    Update of using Hudl

Just been on it 14 mins.

WIFI 40%
    screen 34%
    tablet idle 10%

chrome 7%

android system 3%

So, just to clarify, of that last 14 minutes usage - WIFI used 40% of the used battery amount, not 40% of the total battery amount. Similarly with all the rest.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have bluetooth enabled? If you are not using any bluetooth devices try to switch it off - it's an absolute battery sink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have bluetooth enabled? If you are not using any bluetooth devices try to switch it off - it's an absolute battery sink.

Possibly turning the screen brightness down will help, too.

Also, in ref. to other comments, I thought a task killer in Android nowadays caused more harm than good? Back in the early days they were essential but the OS is supposed to manage things much better now... I thought...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update of using Hudl

Just been on it 14 mins.

WIFI 40%
    screen 34%
    tablet idle 10%

chrome 7%

android system 3%

I am confused when I went back on my Hudl this morning Idle was 50%, the same yesterday, without leaving it only for a few seconds between apps, etc. now only 10%

Total battery was 89% with the other figures which i showed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. I did lower the brightness the other day and I haven't got bluetooth on there.

Do I need AVG Cleaner?
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother with any anti virus and don't read too much into battery stats for wifi usage and idle usage. The most important battery stat is screen time usage. Our Hudl ranges between 6-8 hours screen time depending on what we are doing with it on a full charge to zero.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. I did lower the brightness the other day and I haven't got bluetooth on there.

Do I need AVG Cleaner?

Just remove the anti virus completely, and then be careful over which applications you install.

The only useful "system" level apps would be a task manager and one of the "cleaner" apps (they clear out temp/cache files).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    The only useful "system" level apps would be a task manager and one of the "cleaner" apps (they clear out temp/cache files).

Again - I thought task managers in Android nowadays do more harm than good. Sure, they make a short term difference but the OS manages how & when apps close in the background.

Unless this has all changed again but they certainly used to be shouted down on here in the Android threads of the mobile section.

http://www.howtogeek.com/166140/you-dont-need-to-install-a-task-manager-how-to-manage-running-apps-on-android/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with any anti virus and don't read too much into battery stats for wifi usage and idle usage. The most important battery stat is screen time usage. Our Hudl ranges between 6-8 hours screen time depending on what we are doing with it on a full charge to zero.

When after a full charge and I am on it for a couple of hours, and when it goes down to about 50%, it sometimes difficult to power off, or the page freezes for a while, till I start to recharge it again. Don't know if anyone else had this happen to them?

. I did the 3 hour charge when I first got it.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your battery won't reach it's optimum level until after it has been drained and recharged about 3 or 4 times.

Allow it to discharge fully then charge it as above and you'll notice the improvement from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Your battery won't reach it's optimum level until after it has been drained and recharged about 3 or 4 times.

Allow it to discharge fully then charge it as above and you'll notice the improvement from there.

Sorry for me sounding daft, I assume you mean to leave it on without using it and letting it run down. DoI need to turn off Wi-Fi or any other applications.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for me sounding daft, I assume you mean to leave it on without using it and letting it run down. DoI need to turn off Wi-Fi or any other applications.
    Don't be silly :D

No matter how much people may know now - they all started as beginners once ;)

By all means leave everything on and use the heck out of it which will speed-up the battery drainage but you don't have to.

Just let it run right down (however you go about it) until it goes off and recharge it.

After 3 or 4 times of doing this, your battery will have calibrated itself properly and you'll get the 9 or so hours that's advertised :)

If you're going to get all of your apps from the Play Store (as and Android newbie - I'm guessing that's the case?) then you really don't need an anti-virus app.

Some do offer additional security aspects though such as locking and wiping in case of theft - Avast is a good one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be silly :D

No matter how much people may know now - they all started as beginners once ;)

By all means leave everything on and use the heck out of it which will speed-up the battery drainage but you don't have to.

Just let it run right down (however you go about it) until it goes off and recharge it.

After 3 or 4 times of doing this, your battery will have calibrated itself properly and you'll get the 9 or so hours that's advertised :)

If you're going to get all of your apps from the Play Store (as and Android newbie - I'm guessing that's the case?) then you really don't need an anti-virus app.

Some do offer additional security aspects though such as locking and wiping in case of theft - Avast is a good one.

Thanks for all your help, and being understanding. I am getting more used to my hudl. I do have a bad memory and there is so much to learn and take in. I'am getting there gradually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your help, and being understanding. I am getting more used to my hudl. I do have a bad memory and there is so much to learn and take in. I'am getting there gradually.
    YW :)

Here's a couple of really good hudl threads from this forum:

Hudl - can anyone help?

Tesco tablet

The second one is quite long so perhaps start nearer the end if you don't want to read it all because that's where you'll find most of the reviews and tips etc

Hope you enjoy using it :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally picked up a Hudl on Monday evening after months of playing around with them and must admit I find the battery drain on idle, or even in aeroplane mode, quite high for what it is. I've had an iPad for 3 years and the drain on that is much better.
    I know the battery will be better after a few cycles but it can't improve THAT much - it's not much better than my S3 and that has constant gsm drain!

Still, awesome tablet for the price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YW :)

Here's a couple of really good hudl threads from this forum:

Hudl - can anyone help?

Tesco tablet

The second one is quite long so perhaps start nearer the end if you don't want to read it all because that's where you'll find most of the reviews and tips etc

Hope you enjoy using it :cool:

Thanks for those hudl threads.
    Just reading through them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for those hudl threads.
    Just reading through them
    No worries.

It's nice to have something to refer to if you're unsure about anything.