The one only thing i hate about DVD

Yes, it is the compulsory advert watching that is now occuring on the latest DVD's especially the indian ones! There is no way to get out of them, i don't mind seeing it once but then every time you want to access the disc you have to wait 2 mins until you get anywhere. I don't mind the compulsory thing being used for the FBI warning thing (R1) etc but not for adverts. At least with videos you could fast forward, with DVD you can do nothing!!
Apart from this one niggle, DVD is excellent and when it becomes recordable it will be revolutionary, video watch out!!
What does everyone else think.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Tarzan R1 has the adverts on the front but you can get rid of them quite quickly by pressing the chapter forward button on the remote. I think there will only be more of this type of shenanigans.

Dave
  • NikhilNikhil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On some dvd's you can bypass these adverts, e.g. the chapter next button or by stopping the dvd, then pressing dvd menu. But the ones i don't like are the ones that prohibit you from touching anything and insist on you watching the advert time and time again.
    Forum Member
    Thankfully I haven't come across one yet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member

My DVD player will not let me skip the FBI warnings or some trailers (like on Tarzan).

What makes me even more mad is a month after I splashed the cash of my player from Techtronics, they introduced a new mod that enables you to skip these intro's. :mad:
    Forum Member
    I guess I missed out on that too! Bugger.
    :eek:
  • maryjofoleymaryjofoley Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I've found that if I play a DVD on my computer via Windows Media Player on Windows 7, (it let me do it on Windows Vista too), most of the time, it lets me skip through the piracy warnings and trailers without the need for any hacks! :D
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, here's the answer to the unskippable trailers etc:D
    http://colinseymour.co.uk/why-pirated-dvds-are-better
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Well, here's the answer to the unskippable trailers etc:D
    http://colinseymour.co.uk/why-pirated-dvds-are-better

I was saying pretty much the same thing to my wife yesterday.

I got the Bluray boxed set of Band of Brother as a Christmas present, and we've been watching it over the last few days. (Still fantastic at the second watching btw).

Being forced to sit through 2+ minutes of pirate warnings in three different languages has stopped me buying any more boxed sets.
    I'll just download them and store them on my Nas in future.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buying discs. How quaint.:D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Buying discs. How quaint.:D
    Be far things have changed quite a bit in the twelve and a half years since this thread was posted. :D
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they still at it twelve years later...filling DVD's with ads, pirate warnings (boy, that got them a long way...)??

Never bought a DVD, and don't intend to - certainly if it's full of that garbage.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Are they still at it twelve years later...filling DVD's with ads, pirate warnings (boy, that got them a long way...)??

Never bought a DVD, and don't intend to - certainly if it's full of that garbage.
    Not bought a DVD for a while, upgraded to Blu-Ray.

But none of the Blu-Ray disks I've got stop you skiping any of the rubbish that might be at the start of the disk. And as far as I recall only seen one disk with an FBI anti-piracy warning (for all of about half a second before I hit the skip button :D)
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shock Horror! a new member replies to a 12 year old thread. Welcome to DigitalSpy

:D
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was saying pretty much the same thing to my wife yesterday.

I got the Bluray boxed set of Band of Brother as a Christmas present, and we've been watching it over the last few days. (Still fantastic at the second watching btw).

Being forced to sit through 2+ minutes of pirate warnings in three different languages has stopped me buying any more boxed sets.
    I'll just download them and store them on my Nas in future.

yeah it's the one thing that totally ruins that boxset.... havine those damned warnings in several languages forced onscreen for what seems like eternity. Excellent series though.
  • moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its disgraceful that DVD's that have been bought retail have these unskippable ads. Fair enough if its a (or an ex) rental. But this disc has been bought fair and square, hence no need for the ads or even the copyright nonsense.

We have paid to watch adverts?

Do the opposite and boycott the things you are forced to sit through.