Annoying new Gmail.

I have found the new Gmail to be annoying. Thank goodness, the new "improvements "can be got rid of by unclicking the boxes. I do not want my emails compartmentalised.

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, wasn't fond of it either. Extra clicks just to read what you normally had on one page? Got rid of that quickly.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated the new tabbed inbox for all of 30 seconds. I just unticked all the tabs and then it put everything back in to one inbox... much prefer it like this. I don't get millions of e-mails to my personal Gmail address, maybe 4-10 a day, so I don't really need a tabbed interface -- I usually read my e-mails on my iPhone anyway, and only have the web version of Gmail open when I'm at my computer. I find dealing with the old style, non-tabbed inbox no problem whatsoever with the amount of e-mail traffic I get.

I used to get a lot more e-mails about a year ago. I unsubscribed from all the newsletters, promotional e-mails etc. Now all I get is activation e-mails, a few notifications and personal e-mails -- no newsletters or anything like that. Much better!

To anyone who finds themselves swamped under 20 new e-mails a day... I'd definitely recommend spending half an hour going through your accounts and turning off newsletters/subscriptions to promotional e-mails and things. My iPhone used to ping what felt like a million times a day. Now it does it maybe 3 or 4 times a day.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't really use Gmail, I just got it to sync contacts, so tabs or no tabs is not a problem for me, but I put it to no tabs anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Yes, it sucks. I think Google must have hired some of Microsoft's "usability" experts recently :(

And the new web version of Google Play is one giant leap backwards in usability too.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yes took about 20 secs for me to remove it.
    Honestly cant see how that would have helped anyone and yes agree who were these mugs they tested this UI change with.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Every time google make a change all the 'power users' spit the dummy.

from experience their changes usually have some merit. and it's usually worth trying them for a while before you remove them.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

same users that are complaining about the double spacing of the chrome menu?
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first started to use the new layout I was a bit confused, but now I'm used to it I really like it. Well organised and it makes a lot of sense.

:) Mark
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Incredimail as my email client and unless Inbox tabs are switched off in GMail (and all mail goes to the Primary account) mail is not collected by Incredimail except from the Primary tab.
    This means that I could easily miss/never see some emails.

Do other clients do the same I wonder.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

from experience their changes usually have some merit. and it's usually worth trying them for a while before you remove them.

Not a power user in any way shape or form.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The "power users" use an email client so don't notice any changes to the web interface.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    The "power users" use an email client so don't notice any changes to the web interface.

do they?
    i've not found a desktop email client that supports all the features of gmail so far (tagging, filters, the new seperate tabs etc).

if you can advise of any that do ?
    Forum Member

Totally disagree, I use gmail as a drop all for loads of different email accounts and 3 business ones and it so much more poweful and portable than any email client.
    I certainly would not want to go back to thunderbird, outlook ...

Many moons ago I used to support exchange and Lotus Notes servers, different world.

I'm not sure how that last change could have been useful at all. Much like all the flag and star business, but gmail is pretty customizable that we can almost have it like we want.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have worked better had they added an initial 1st tab - "All Mail", then had the other tabs as simply filtered versions of that.

As it currently stands, I disabled it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you disable it?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

people still use email clients? ;)

I'd say I'm a power user (or at least I get a stack of email) and found the compartmentalisation v handy. I'm not sure about the names of some of the new tabs, they're not always intuitive but its a nice nudge on from having the Priority Inbox which is the best Gmail feature ever. (esp when combined with mobile notifications for those emails and ONLY those emails)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How do you disable it?

You click on the blank tab and then untick the boxes which you don't want and then click on "save", if memory serves me correctly.
    Forum Member
    How do you disable it?

settings/inbox you will see it there
    untick all except primary (which is greyed out) and your back to normal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You click on the blank tab and then untick the boxes which you don't want and then click on "save", if memory serves me correctly.
    lettice wrote: »
    settings/inbox you will see it there
    untick all except primary (which is greyed out) and your back to normal

Thanks.