Older laptop won't connect wirelessly

My dad hasn't used his laptop for several months and now he wants to use it but it won't connect to the internet. It will connect to the router, just not the internet. It used to work before but he's got a new router.

It's not that old a laptop, it's a few years old and running on Vista.

He's been to a PC repair shop and they said it was because it's older and needs upgrading. Is this right and is it something I can do for him with my limited computer knowledge?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no reason why a Vista laptop should need upgrading to get on the Internet.
    Try this MS Fixit as a first try
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Have you checked the router website to see if it is still listed on there by mac address?
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go into a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. Report back what it displays.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure everything is set to DHCP on the TCP/IP settings and also look on the routers config page that it's listed as being connected, also check any parental control settings as well on the router
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    router probably just needs a few settings tweaked
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the router actually connected to the Internet?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Make sure everything is set to DHCP on the TCP/IP settings and also look on the routers config page that it's listed as being connected, also check any parental control settings as well on the router

to check PC ip is automatic:

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-your-IP-Address-(Windows)

use method 3 but select obtain and automatic IP.

Reboot PC and hopefully it will connect. You may have to delete old wifi network profile.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PC repair shop are just lying.
    As mentioned it's best to first check if the router is connected to the internet because that might be all it is.

I don't mean just connected with a cable, I mean an actual "live" internet.

Routers need setting up correctly too.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............ It will connect to the router, just not the internet. It used to work before but he's got a new router..............

Has he set the network ID and password to exactly what it was before? Note, though you may already know, that this is different to the router's username and password.

Do you have a network indicator at the bottom right of your screen? If so, does it show the network, and does it say "Connected" or "No internet connection"?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    there are two things that spring to mind.
    one is in post two.

the other is another famous vista issue with the dhcp broadcast flag
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an older laptop that had to connect to the router via a card slot. When we upgraded said router the connection failed. I solved it by purchasing a fairly cheap wireless USB thingy from Amazon and now it connects once more.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Stig wrote: »
    There's no reason why a Vista laptop should need upgrading to get on the Internet.
    Try this MS Fixit as a first try
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

That doesn't work.
    Have you checked the router website to see if it is still listed on there by mac address?
    Yes, and it is.
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Go into a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. Report back what it displays.

Here:
    C:\Users\Joe>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Joe-laptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dlink.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dlink.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-44-8D-4D-3A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 September 2013 17:49:13
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 September 2013 17:49:13
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS191 Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-03-00-9F
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{B810D7D7-9F60-4093-BE15-78392C47F
    906}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dlink.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.dlink.com
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.3%12(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    It is. I don't think there are any parental control settings.

ba_baracus wrote: »
    Is the router actually connected to the Internet?

Yep, using it right now with my laptop.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have an ethernet cable you could use with this laptop? Just to see if it can connect at all or if the issue is just with the WiFi connection.

The other option that might work is to delete the connection altogether then re-establish it. You delete the connection in the Manage Wireless Connections window, see here

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-manage-wireless-connections-using-windows.navId-323046.html

Select the connection then you can delete it. You can then re-connect to it from scratch by calling up the list of available networks and selecting your network and clicking Connect. You will have to enter the security key again so make sure you know what that is before doing this.

But sometimes zapping the connection and starting again from scratch sorts out connection problems.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spose you have got wireless enabled on the laptop and haven't accidently turned it off.If your card is kaput you could try one of these which work well.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Wireless-G-USB-Adapter-F5D7050-54Mbps-WIFI-Dongle-Original-Belkin-Product-/251327978390?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3a84509b96
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Do you have an ethernet cable you could use with this laptop? Just to see if it can connect at all or if the issue is just with the WiFi connection.

The other option that might work is to delete the connection altogether then re-establish it. You delete the connection in the Manage Wireless Connections window, see here

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-manage-wireless-connections-using-windows.navId-323046.html

Select the connection then you can delete it. You can then re-connect to it from scratch by calling up the list of available networks and selecting your network and clicking Connect. You will have to enter the security key again so make sure you know what that is before doing this.

But sometimes zapping the connection and starting again from scratch sorts out connection problems.

I haven't tried the ethernet cable yet (will have to ask him if he has one), but I've just tried your second suggestion and that hasn't worked.
    Forum Member
    boyzie wrote: »
    I spose you have got wireless enabled on the laptop and haven't accidently turned it off.If your card is kaput you could try one of these which work well.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Wireless-G-USB-Adapter-F5D7050-54Mbps-WIFI-Dongle-Original-Belkin-Product-/251327978390?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3a84509b96

It works fine with a BTFON network (obviously I can't use it as I don't have an account, but it connects).

Will an adapter definitely work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works fine with a BTFON network (obviously I can't use it as I don't have an account, but it connects).

Will an adapter definitely work?

shouldn't have any probs with it I use the same one on an old pc and it works well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd turn your wireless off if using the adapter,don't want both of them on.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that no-one has asked the obvious question. What exactly happens when he tries to go to a website? What if any error messages appear in the browser?

Also what happens if he enters

into the address bar of the browser (just the numbers, no http or www before it). If it opens the BBC website then that might tell us something.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check that the date and time on the Vista machine are both correct. If not, correct them, power down, then up both the router and the VIsta laptop and try again.
  • ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some older laptops (especially IBM Thinkpads) will not connect to modern wireless routers unless the security is turned off (seen it several times).. As suggested already, a USB adapter is the only hope - they're low profile these days and won't stick out much.