Recommend me a phone...

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please :)

I am due an upgrade next month and am clueless.

I currently have the Nokia N8 which is rubbish (apart from the camera)

Shall I give in and get an iPhone??? I don't particularly want the 'latest' version of the iPhone if that helps?

Anything similar / better?

I use phone mainly for piccies, texts and calling but I am hoping to get more use out of it internet wise (so download app's, log into websites and post when I am on the moves etc...)

TIA

Comments

• finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which carrier are you with and what is your budget?

However if you don't want the latest device then the Samsung Galaxy S3 is a bargain and is better than any iPhone old or new.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    End your contract, buy a Nexus 4 outright then use one of the many stunningly cheap 30 day SIM deals knocking about (which incredibly start at nowt!!). The SIM free Nexus 4 from Google Play store demonstrates that 24 month contracts should be a thing of the past. Such a loooonnnggg time to commit yourself to in these uncertain times. Imo, of course.:)
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an upgrade, I want to keep it FOC.

I am with Orange and have a £25 a month deal + pay the insurance.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is just me, but £25 + Insurance cost per month is way too much to be spending on a phone.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S3 is a nice phone.The S3 mini is also nice. So is the Sony Xperia S.

I have the HTC One S. I like it. Nice slim phone that does everything I want.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's an upgrade, I want to keep it FOC.

I am with Orange and have a £25 a month deal + pay the insurance.

No disrespect but the phone isn't free. What sort of allowances do you get for that £25/mth for 24 months?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an S3 Mini user i can't fault it. If you don't want a top of the range phone and are happy with a mid range phone then S3 mini is a decent choice. Good memory, decent camera, Android 4.1.2, nice size 4" screen, battery life is ok but most smartphones need charging daily anyway.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    End your contract, buy a Nexus 4 outright then use one of the many stunningly cheap 30 day SIM deals knocking about (which incredibly start at nowt!!). The SIM free Nexus 4 from Google Play store demonstrates that 24 month contracts should be a thing of the past. Such a loooonnnggg time to commit yourself to in these uncertain times. Imo, of course.:)

Interesting does this phone have expandable space? I noticed it only has 16 GB internal storage.
  • Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please :)

I am due an upgrade next month and am clueless.

I currently have the Nokia N8 which is rubbish (apart from the camera)

Shall I give in and get an iPhone??? I don't particularly want the 'latest' version of the iPhone if that helps?

Anything similar / better?

I use phone mainly for piccies, texts and calling but I am hoping to get more use out of it internet wise (so download app's, log into websites and post when I am on the moves etc...)

TIA

Samsung Galaxy 4 is a wonderful phone
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say either an Apple iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S3 would both be good choices and shouldn't be to expensive. Both are good phones, have a look at them in a shop and choose the one you prefer.

TBH you would be better getting a PAC and moving to Virgin Mobile and just buying an Nexus 4 from google. Virgin uses the same network so your signal will be identical but it's far cheaper.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not that bad a phone for basic web stuff with Opera Mini installed.
    I guess you need a bigger phone so maybe an S3 does it.

For web posting there is also Tapatalk for the N8
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Its not that bad a phone for basic web stuff with Opera Mini installed.
    I guess you need a bigger phone so maybe an S3 does it.

For web posting there is also Tapatalk for the N8

The N8 isn't android though, so you cannot download Tapatalk.

You can only download from Ovi ?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is Nokia are pretty much done with Symbian phones, so developers are extremely unlikely to spend any time updating apps on the Symbian Ovi store, and even less likely to release new apps.

Now is the right time to move to another platform. Symbian is a dead duck.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would definitely recommend an iPhone.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    S3 or the Nexus 4. I have the Nexus 4 and cannot fault it. Had an S3 and loved that as well.

Personal choice but i prefer Android over iOS.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony Xperia SP
  • pepstarpepstar Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would definitely recommend an iPhone.

Me too! :D
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend the phone you like and get along with best....everyone's taste is different.

Depending on what minutes you get with Orange and what you need, there may be better deals out there now. As someone said, look at virgin. If you are already a virgin customer (for landline, TV etc) then you do get some money off and you get free insurance.

Also, remember with an iPhone or android....you are likely to use more data than you do currently. The phones can do more and you may well need a higher data tariff that your current plan won't give.

iPhones, even though good phones aren't the best. But, they are simple to use.

Androids are far more customisable and you aren't tied into iTunes. Androids can be as simple or as complicated as you make them.

Try a few out in the shops.... Then walk away and have a think....go to another shop and have another play and ask their opinion, get the to show you real phones, not dummy units.... How they work, how you email from them etc.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Don't forget to try out a WM8 phone if you would rather avoid the clutches of the twin evil empires.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Don't forget to try out a WM8 phone if you would rather avoid the clutches of the twin evil empires.

By entering the clutches of the third evil empire :D
    Forum Member
    <deleted>
    Forum Member
    For me it was way too late to avoid that. Better the devil you know than the two devils who don't yet know you.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »
    By entering the clutches of the third evil empire :D

Which is actually the first evil empire
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with konebyvax, if you can afford it buy a phone outright and go for a sim only contract, if you keep the phone for 2 years you are still better off. The Nexus 4 is a good phone at a higher price, but for what it costs it is a great phone.

I am hoping to keep mine for at least 3-4 years, maybe even longer. no need to swap every couple of years to be honest.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I upgraded yesterday from an ancient Iphone 3GS to a samsung S3 mini. I was umming and ahhing for ages and I'm so glad I did. The s3 mini is a fab little phone,I have taken it out on 02 refresh and pay £22 per month.