Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ........:D

I remember that well - Meg couldn't believe what she was reading when she saw Zara's name listed on the sheet of paper listing new arrivals.

:D

Yeah she always reminded me of Sue Nichols character in Rentaghost :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:

Would you have liked to see Nola stay in it for longer, zooooooooooooo?

Nola Mckenzie was a good character but I think she probably lasted as long as she should, characters that are really evil never last to long, except for The Freak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Mrs. Powell is not being mentioned much. :(

Mrs. Powell:

http://www.prisoner-cellblockh.co.uk/introduction/atoz/p-graphic.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Po Face was my favourite characte. So much wittier than anyone else.

The 'I'd remind the bitch... with a sledgehammer' comment about Joan and the amazing acting from Judith McGrath when the Powell family blew up were part of what made Prisoner so good.

And who could forget Doreen calling Peter Hope an old rocker 'why won't that old rocker just leave me alone?' only for Po Face to reply 'that's no way to talk about the Governor'. Leading Doreen and Judy to laugh almost like it was ad libbed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs. Powell is not being mentioned much. :(

Mrs. Powell:

http://www.prisoner-cellblockh.co.uk/introduction/atoz/p-graphic.jpg

Good old Poface.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Po Face was my favourite characte. So much wittier than anyone else.

The 'I'd remind the bitch... with a sledgehammer' comment about Joan and the amazing acting from Judith McGrath when the Powell family blew up were part of what made Prisoner so good.

And who could forget Doreen calling Peter Hope an old rocker 'why won't that old rocker just leave me alone?' only for Po Face to reply 'that's no way to talk about the Governor'. Leading Doreen and Judy to laugh almost like it was ad libbed.

Yeah her delivery was great, I loved a scene when The Freak was talking about the Governor crumbling under all the pressure and then asked if something needed to be done, and Colleen said no the Governor did it just before she crumbled, her delivery was perfect :D
    Forum Member
    MeddlingMonkey wrote: Po Face was my favourite character. So much wittier than anyone else.

I have never understood why Judith McGrath - Mrs. Powell in PCBH - may not have always received the credit she deserves for her role in the brilliant series that PCBH is. Judith was perfectly cast as Mrs. Powell and the scripts she was given were excellent.

I think that the character of Mrs. Powell was one of the best and one of the most important in PCBH - but this fact is sometimes overlooked.
    MeddlingMonkey wrote: ...the amazing acting from Judith McGrath when the Powell family blew up were part of what made Prisoner so good.

That was a terrible incident. Her acting, as you say MeddlingMonkey, was superb. During that part of the series she was centre-stage and it allowed us all to get to know her and those around her more.

It is really nice to read your posting praising Judith, MeddlingMonkey - as not enough people do.

I always felt that behind that sometimes very serious persona as Mrs. Powell, Judith wanted to burst out laughing at some of the hilarious scenes she had to keep a straight face in.

At least the Wikipedia article about Judith recognises that she became a leading character in PCBH.
    Forum Member
    Good old Poface.

Yes - the wonderful Mrs. Powell. Another great PCBH character.

:cool:
    Forum Member
    Yeah her delivery was great, I loved a scene when The Freak was talking about the Governor crumbling under all the pressure and then asked if something needed to be done, and Colleen said no the Governor did it just before she crumbled, her delivery was perfect :D

......:D
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Mouse. She was a comical character and deserved a better exit than running down the corridor of H block in flames. It had the desired shocking effect, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colleen Powell is in my top 10 favourite characters
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood why Judith McGrath - Mrs. Powell in PCBH - may not have always received the credit she deserves for her role in the brilliant series that PCBH is. Judith was perfectly cast as Mrs. Powell and the scripts she was given were excellent.

I think that the character of Mrs. Powell was one of the best and one of the most important in PCBH - but this fact is sometimes overlooked.

That was a terrible incident. Her acting, as you say MeddlingMonkey, was superb. During that part of the series she was centre-stage and it allowed us all to get to know her and those around her more.

It is really nice to read your posting praising Judith, MeddlingMonkey - as not enough people do.

I always felt that behind that sometimes very serious persona as Mrs. Powell, Judith wanted to burst out laughing at some of the hilarious scenes she had to keep a straight face in.

At least the Wikipedia article about Judith recognises that she became a leading character in PCBH.

Yes, although The Freak is definately my favourite officer, Colleen Powell was brilliant and excellently acted. I think she did something like 230 episodes on the trot, which was a Prisoner record:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    Poor Mouse. She was a comical character and deserved a better exit than running down the corridor or H block in flames. It had the desired shocking effect, though.

oh dear....
    Forum Member
    ......although The Freak is definately my favourite officer, Colleen Powell was brilliant and excellently acted. I think she did something like 230 episodes on the trot, which was a Prisoner record :).

So Judith (Mrs. Powell) appeared in more PCBH episodes without a break than anyone else?
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, although The Freak is definately my favourite officer, Colleen Powell was brilliant and excellently acted. I think she did something like 230 episodes on the trot, which was a Prisoner record:)

Very unscrupulous way that she made Deputy Governor after Vera left, and in some ways cost Kate Peterson her sanity

Sort of a template of Ferguson in some ways but not as corrupt

Can understand the way she left as there wasn't much keeping her in Wentworth after Patrick and the kids were blown up

Wish she could have been there in the last episode to see The Freak's downfall, she would have loved that as she despised Ferguson as much as everyone else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Judith (Mrs. Powell) appeared in more PCBH episodes without a break than anyone else?

Yes. Meg was in the most overall, but I think Judith Mcgrath was in roughly from 220-450 without a break, quite an achievement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Very unscrupulous way that she made Deputy Governor after Vera left, and in some ways cost Kate Peterson her sanity

Sort of a template of Ferguson in some ways but not as corrupt

Can understand the way she left as there wasn't much keeping her in Wentworth after Patrick and the kids were blown up

Wish she could have been there in the last episode to see The Freak's downfall, she would have loved that as she despised Ferguson as much as everyone else

Yes her and the Freak didn't even bother to hide their dislike for each other :D
    Forum Member
    Yes. Meg was in the most overall, but I think Judith Mcgrath was in roughly from 220-450 without a break, quite an achievement.

I always found it funny the way Mrs. Powell interviewed new arrivals in the reception.

Mrs. Powell wasn't aggressive in the reception area - as Joan could be sometimes - but she clearly treated much of what was said to her by some of those she had to register with a pinch of salt. As could be seen by the expressions on her face as she ticked the boxes on the form. :D
    Forum Member

Yes it was. It is a shame Judith left the series. I wanted her in it right through to the end.

I am very pleased, zooooooooooooo, that you and others here also like Mrs. Powell - a PCBH character not spoken about enough.
    Forum Member
    Yes her and the Freak didn't even bother to hide their dislike for each other :D

Mrs. Powell never seemed scared of Joan did she? Which must have annoyed Joan a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs. Powell never seemed scared of Joan did she? Which must have annoyed Joan a bit.

I'm sure it did :D
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite Powell scene is the one where Suzie tries to escape through the front gate in the worst escape attempt imaginable and Powell catches her straight away

"Don't tell me let me guess, you're returning Mrs Barrie's glasses" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else like Hazel Kent, I thought she was a good character and had a sad ending. She was also in the early episodes playing the prison nurse.

Where I'm up to now Phyllis has started to become a bigger character, even though she has been in it off and on since nearly day one. Frances Harvey is at the Halfway House with Judy, soon she will be in the prison, without explaining what she did:confused:
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote: »
    My favourite Powell scene is the one where Suzie tries to escape through the front gate in the worst escape attempt imaginable and Powell catches her straight away...."Don't tell me let me guess, you're returning Mrs Barrie's glasses" :D

..........:D
  • RetroSpecsRetroSpecs Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Yes it was. It is a shame Judith left the series. I wanted her in it right through to the end.

I am very pleased, zooooooooooooo, that you and others here also like Mrs. Powell - a PCBH character not spoken about enough.

Po Face rocked. She's certainly up there....not that I've ever actually tried to put a list of favourite characters together.

I'm genuinely surprised just how much I'm enjoying this recent rewatch...Forgotten just how much I love the show.
    For me, Rita's just gone to Blackmoor and Spider's coming into her own as a character. A right cow, but really well played.