Opinions on actors - turnaround

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Ever disliked an actor and then saw them in one role and started to love them? Or the other way around?

Mine is Channing Tatum - I saw him in Dear John and didn't think that much of him, and then saw him in 21 Jump Street and absolutely loved him! He was brilliant in Magic Mike too.

Comments

• Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Carrey.

While I didn't dislike him immensely, I just thought he was a goof who could only do one type of role. Then I watched The Truman Show...

Similar for Robin Williams. Then I watched Good Will Hunting. Then One Hour Photo was the icing on the cake. Now I love him in serious roles.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leonardo DiCaprio.

I couldn't stand him when he was a young prettyboy. Then from around The Departed onwards he grew a beard and I really started to enjoy his films.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Leonardo DiCaprio.

I couldn't stand him when he was a young prettyboy. Then from around The Departed onwards he grew a beard and I really started to enjoy his films.

Yeh I'd agree with that as well. He's changed a lot with his roles.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not really a turnaround but just a kind of realisation that an actor has gone downhill.

Al Pacino would be a good contender. He and De Niro rose up to be the best actors of their generation through the seventies and 80s. In the 90s both had early success but then both started to do different genres of films.
    De Niro found his footing again with some decent comedy roles.

Pacino though hasn't put in many good perfomances in the past 15 years imo.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halle Berry, didn't think much of her until the first X-Men film.
    She was perfect as Storm and Catwoman aside now think she is a decent actress.
    Even if the diva rumours are true.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was not sure about Brad Pitt until I saw MoneyBall.
    Also, I did not like Mickey Rourke and then I saw that he was talented when I watched The Wrestler.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here with Channing Tatum and 21 Jump Street, Will Ferrell and Owen Wilson in recent roles too.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Ever disliked an actor and then saw them in one role and started to love them? Or the other way around?

Mine is Channing Tatum - I saw him in Dear John and didn't think that much of him, and then saw him in 21 Jump Street and absolutely loved him! He was brilliant in Magic Mike too.

Other way around for me. Liked him in Coach Carter, then just a bunch of disappointments since.
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Leonardo DiCaprio.

First one I thought of. Even before The Departed, films like Gangs of New York and Catch Me If You Can. I think Scorcese had a big effect on him.
    Did like Basketball Diaries as a film but not Leo in it.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not really a turnaround but just a kind of realisation that an actor has gone downhill.

Al Pacino would be a good contender. He and De Niro rose up to be the best actors of their generation through the seventies and 80s. In the 90s both had early success but then both started to do different genres of films.

DeNiro looks to be going for more serious roles again looking at his films coming up which is fantastic and has put in some great performances aswell,I've liked some of his recent films more than critics etc
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes, I do think he's adapted more than Pacino. Both have tried different genres but De Niro has had more success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robert De Niro was brilliant in Silver Linings Playbook.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Very recent one here - Matthew Mconaughey. Talentless eye candy for chicks in tedious rom-coms for years. I mean, how can you respect anyone who appears in films with horse face Parker?:confused:

Saw Mud a couple of weeks ago and the guy can not only act but very well. Watch this guy - I think he's going places.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very recent one here - Matthew Mconaughey. Talentless eye candy for chicks in tedious rom-coms for years. I mean, how can you respect anyone who appears in films with horse face Parker?:confused:

Saw Mud a couple of weeks ago and the guy can not only act but very well. Watch this guy - I think he's going places.

Although the film wasn't great, I thought he showed his potential in "Reign of Fire." After only ever being known from those same-old, same-old rom com roles, he suddenly shows up as this hard-as-nails army commando!

Surprisingly convincing and so different to his normal routine, that it made me take notice of him as an actor. Unfortunately (and probably due to the critical failure of the film) he seemed to revert to type afterwards and never really stretched to different roles.

I haven't seem "Mud," yet, but as soon as I saw the trailer, I thought "finally, he's actually moving on and doing some worthwhile acting." I have a gut feeling he could be an Oscar contender one day, if he gets the right role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Tom Cruise. Although some are seen as classics I thought his early stuff was ok or not that good, but over the years he has got better and better. I think it was because he started to do better roles not based on his looks. Films like A few Good Men, Born on the fourth of July etc.

Daniel Radcliffe as well. The Woman in Black and some of his other roles have shown he's far more than just Harry Potter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I think his reputation is only going to get better with the films that he has filmed over the past year :)

I recently watched Failure to Launch again and it wasn't as bad as I remembered! It also had two actors in it who I didn't know when watching before......Bradley Cooper and Justin Bartha!!! :D

I loved him in The Lincoln Lawyer - brilliant film. I also have A Time To Kill to watch...I haven't seen that.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I think his reputation is only going to get better with the films that he has filmed over the past year :)

I recently watched Failure to Launch again and it wasn't as bad as I remembered! It also had two actors in it who I didn't know when watching before......Bradley Cooper and Justin Bartha!!! :D

I loved him in The Lincoln Lawyer - brilliant film. I also have A Time To Kill to watch...I haven't seen that.

Now wasn't A Time To Kill a Kevin Spacey movie ?

I used to love Kevin Spacey. , first saw in American Beauty and loved both , then started searching out all his movies ( Seven , LA Confidential , Usual Suspects etc etc ) got kinda obsessed but then suddenly lost interest in films and Spacey for a while ?
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matthew Mconnaughey for me too, after seeing him in The We Are Marshall and The Lincoln Lawyer I changed my mind about him and then seeing Magic Mike shortly after both those too.

I did also see him in Mud recently and he was great in it but I found the movie a bit ho hum. I'd like to see Frailty from a few years back and the recent Killer Joe.

I wrongly presumed he was only interested in crap rom coms since the 90s but i'm glad I have seen so much more from him recently. Great actor.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate Meryl Streep , she always seemed to be playing miserable roles / Oscar bait .

but at some point in the 90's I changed my mind , maybe it was after I saw Death Becomes Her and saw her on interviews and realised she wasn't so serious .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Now wasn't A Time To Kill a Kevin Spacey movie ?

I used to love Kevin Spacey. , first saw in American Beauty and loved both , then started searching out all his movies ( Seven , LA Confidential , Usual Suspects etc etc ) got kinda obsessed but then suddenly lost interest in films and Spacey for a while ?

I'm watching A Time To Kill at the moment - liking it so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Whadaya got?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dml0dAJSis
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's a yo-yo. He was fantastic in Dazed and Confused, one of his early films, but he's been a yo-yo since then. Some of his performances were great, and the rest were generic and bland.

McConaughey's decent performances can be found in Dazed and Confused, Lone Star, Frailty, Killer Joe, Bernie (awful film, but he was a stand-out here, especially in the court scenes) and Reign of Fire (terrible film, but McConaughey was pretty good as a Patton/Kilgore-like military commander).
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Carrey.
    While I didn't dislike him immensely, I just thought he was a goof who could only do one type of role. Then I watched The Truman Show...

I was the same. The Cable Guy is one of the worst films I have seen - but I adored his performance in The Truman Show.

Keira Knightley. - I wasn't a fan of hers, and thought her performance in Pride and Prejudice in particular was not very good. But I adored her in Atonement, I think she showed a real maturity in that film.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Nicholson - I enjoyed his contributions, especially The Last Detail, but since Prizzi's Honor/The Witches of Eastwick/Two Jakes, I grew to dislike him. He represents everything wrong with the cinema of the 1980s and 1990s. I couldn't even stand him in The Departed.

Marlon Brando - I still don't like him as I feel he's a lazy actor, but after seeing The Godfather, I at least understand why he's well liked/respected.

Michael Caine - I enjoyed his performances until the 1980s (Jaws: The Revenge, The Fourth Procedural and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, all these I disliked). He went downhill since.

Russell Crowe - I watched his career with interest (due to Mystery Alaska, Romper Stomper and The Insider) until Gladiator, which basically ruined him.

Colin Firth - didn't think much of him (in spite of Tumbledown and The Hour of the Pig) until A Single Man.

Mickey Rourke - loved him until Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man or Wild Orchids and found him an embarrassment until, I think, Spun. I adore him now.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Jack Nicholson - I enjoyed his contributions, especially The Last Detail, but since Prizzi's Honor/The Witches of Eastwick/Two Jakes, I grew to dislike him. He represents everything wrong with the cinema of the 1980s and 1990s. I couldn't even stand him in The Departed.

Marlon Brando - I still don't like him as I feel he's a lazy actor, but after seeing The Godfather, I at least understand why he's well liked/respected.

Michael Caine - I enjoyed his performances until the 1980s (Jaws: The Revenge, The Fourth Procedural and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, all these I disliked). He went downhill since.

Russell Crowe - I watched his career with interest (due to Mystery Alaska, Romper Stomper and The Insider) until Gladiator, which basically ruined him.

Colin Firth - didn't think much of him (in spite of Tumbledown and The Hour of the Pig) until A Single Man.

Mickey Rourke - loved him until Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man or Wild Orchids and found him an embarrassment until, I think, Spun. I adore him now.

1st BIB: catch him in Harry Brown. He's brilliant. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone else in it is utter shite.:cry:

2nd BIB: gosh, that's going back some! Tremendous film (or rather TV play, wasn't it?). You never hear anyone talk about it these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

He was brilliant in A Single Man, then of course the brilliant The King Speech