Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 3)

1169170171172173175»

Comments

• NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Eww.

I can never look at Van Ginkel the same way again because of you! :mad::mad::mad::(:p

Serves you right for saying your supporting Mad Marion against the lovely (:o) Sabine Lisicki today :p

Speaking of the Canadian Mario van Ginkel, didn't he have a tour of Stamford Bridge some time last year? Is he....one of us? :eek:
  • ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Serves you right for saying your supporting Mad Marion against the lovely (:o) Sabine Lisicki today :p

Speaking of the Canadian Mario van Ginkel, didn't he have a tour of Stamford Bridge some time last year? Is he....one of us? :eek:

How can you not like Marion? She's so endearing off the court. :) Lisicki has the best years ahead of her yet and if she stays injury free, she could become a potential no.1 player in the future. With Marion it's a different story. Plus, I didn't like how the crowd were against Marion in her match against Sloane Stephens so I kinda fell in love with her even more after that. :o

Anyway here are a few bits of Marco van Ginkel:

First interview with Chelsea TV
    Marco, welcome to Chelsea. What are your first impressions?

Really good, I'm very happy to be here at such a nice club with great players. I am really happy, the stadium is good and the training ground is fantastic.

I know about all the players and will meet them on Monday. I expect a lot, I've watched matches and it's really nice to be here.

What can you tell fans about yourself?

I am a box-to-box player. I cover a lot of metres and can score a goal, but I also like to defend and think of myself as a real team player.

You had a fantastic season last year, winning an the Dutch Football Talent of the Year award…

Yes, I had a good season and won the award, which I am really proud of. We were fourth in the table, which for Vitesse is really good. It was a good season and I think that's why I am here. I wanted to make a step up and Chelsea was a good opportunity.

Have you spoken to Jose Mourinho?

I spoke with the manager and he had some good words for me. If a trainer like this says these things to you it makes you really proud and I am happy to work with him.

What are your personal targets this season?

I want to learn a lot, to develop myself. I want to play games and not only sit on the bench, that's what I hope for, to play in games at these great stadiums and hopefully be important for the team, whether it is from the bench or from the start.

You played alongside several Chelsea loanees at Vitesse…

Yes, I played with Patrick van Aanholt, Tomas Kalas and Gael Kakuta last season. They also helped me. I asked a lot of things about the club and they said that Chelsea is incredible. Now I am here I can see this. I think they will help when I train on Monday also.

How much do you look forward to that first day of pre-season training on Monday?

I look forward to it a lot. It's not scary, but I will be a little bit nervous maybe! Playing with players like Frank Lampard and John Terry will be a huge thing. I played three years at Vitesse, but the Premier League is very good, and I will enjoy playing with these players with this experience.

It marks the beginning of a very important season for you, which could culminate with the World Cup…

Yes, everybody wants to go there to Brazil. You have to play, that's what Louis van Gaal has said to players. I think I can play games and I think the Premier League is higher than the Dutch league, so you can learn more physically and technically, and develop. That's why I am here.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3229543

Welcome Marco!
  • ICT User 77ICT User 77 Posts: 11,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK you two. Let's just be happy with the fact that we've signed a young, talented Dutch midfielder who can add depth and contribute to the squad.

I'm happy with the signings we've made so far. Schurrle and Van Ginkel are two highly rated prospects who can certainly add to the talent in strikers and midfielders respectively.

With regards to the whole Cavani/Lewandowski/Rooney/El Sharaawy and whichever other strikers we seem to be linked to. The only reason we should be signing one of them is if we decide to let Torres go to another club.

We play with one up front. If we sign someone like one of the above, we'll have them plus Torres/Ba/Lukaku and Schurrle who can play as a striker.

Lukaku and Schurrle should be playing so that means one of them will likely end up playing striker. If we sign someone Lukaku and Schurrle will get less playing time and won't develop as they potentially could.

Torres, despite his poor form, will still expect to start as the Number 1 striker. If we sell him to another club that leaves a space for another striker to come in and share responsibility with the others. If not, there's too many vying for limited places.

It would be great to have Cavani or Lewandowski here as they are top strikers, however I would be more than happy for the club to sign a talented striker for around £15-20m if Torres goes and have them share the striking role. If we aren't selling Torres then to be honest it's fine how it is currently.

Also now that MVG has signed for us, he has to be playing in our first team. There's a reason he's been called up to the Dutch first team and to keep his progression going and for him to get to the World Cup, he has to play regularly for the club.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Can't see Van Ginkel playing that much this season, despite this apparent claim that he's been assured regular games. If he does then Lamps, Ramires, De Bruyne etc aren't going to be too happy, plus it would curtail the chances of Luiz playing in midfield again. We've now got too many midfielders in my opinion, what we really need is a quality defensive one as we all know.
    Forum Member
    How can you not like Marion? She's so endearing off the court. :) Lisicki has the best years ahead of her yet and if she stays injury free, she could become a potential no.1 player in the future. With Marion it's a different story. Plus, I didn't like how the crowd were against Marion in her match against Sloane Stephens so I kinda fell in love with her even more after that. :o

Bartoli's not a player I've ever paid much attention to tbh. Lisicki is, and I'm absolutely gutted for her :cry: It really was horrible viewing.

Very graceful at the end though - some of the other ladies (Rad) could learn a lot from her.

Can't see Van Ginkel playing that much this season, despite this apparent claim that he's been assured regular games. If he does then Lamps, Ramires, De Bruyne etc aren't going to be too happy, plus it would curtail the chances of Luiz playing in midfield again. We've now got too many midfielders in my opinion, what we really need is a quality defensive one as we all know.

We have a lot of CM's now....still don't see a quality pairing.
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just send him out on loan to Ajax surely?
    Forum Member
    If we did loan him there's be no point in sending him back to Holland. Hardly the most competitive league around.
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    If we did loan him there's be no point in sending him back to Holland. Hardly the most competitive league around.

Agreed. You'd think there'd be a few PL teams that would be happy to have him on loan. As long as we have a recall clause if he ends up not getting enough games, or if we need him back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a world cup year I don't think van Ginkel would have joined us if he didn't think he'd play quite a bit. As a DM he's only really competing with Mikel (who might be leaving), Ake, Essien and to some extent Ramires since Romeu might also be off on loan. The other central midfield spot coud go to Lampard, de Bruyne or Ramires (he seems almost too versatile for his own good and is under appreciated) . I don't see Luiz wanting to spend too much time playing in midfield as Brazil will use him as a CB next year. If he's good enough, he's old enough. Hope he does well.
    Forum Member
    kana wrote: »
    In a world cup year I don't think van Ginkel would have joined us if he didn't think he'd play quite a bit. As a DM he's only really competing with Mikel (who might be leaving), Ake, Essien and to some extent Ramires since Romeu might also be off on loan. The other central midfield spot coud go to Lampard, de Bruyne or Ramires (he seems almost too versatile for his own good and is under appreciated) . I don't see Luiz wanting to spend too much time playing in midfield as Brazil will use him as a CB next year. If he's good enough, he's old enough. Hope he does well.

He's not a DM though, is he? I haven't seen him play, but by all accounts he's more of a box-to-box midfielder so wouldn't make a good combo with Lamps/Ramires/De Bruyne - they'd be the players he'd be competing with for a place in the team. Possibly even Oscar too, as he can be played deeper now as we've signed Schurrle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was more defensive and the goals were an occasional bonus. I hope so for his sake as if he's competing with the other group with Oscar thrown in, he'd be better off staying where he is for another year.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,717
    Administrator
This discussion has been closed.