Should Two Little Boys now be blacklisted?

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
Forum Member
✭✭
With the singer of the most famous version being found guilty. Is it right that it will now enevitably be blacklisted?

After all it was written in 1902 long before Mr Harris was even born. Harry Lauder made the song famous and I believe it was popular in WW1.

I mean I can't see Australia blacklisting their anthem Walzing Matilda because Rolf has done a version of it.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you mean Jedward then yes!
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurrgh, it's not that hard.. You just blacklist the versions done by Rolf Harris. Anyone who complains about a song being played just because Rolf Harris did a version of the song is an idiot.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think they should just blacklist the Rolf Harris version and I can see that happening in the near future. Isn't Gary Glitter's music already blacklisted?
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's like Gary Glitter, you have to separate the music from the performer.
    Did Rolf Harris not do some version of 'Stairway to Heaven' as well?
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Two Little Boys is a great song. I always thought Rolf wrote it. Glad he didnt.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Eurrgh, it's not that hard.. You just blacklist the versions done by Rolf Harris. Anyone who complains about a song being played just because Rolf Harris did a version of the song is an idiot.

Thing is though he will always be strongly linked to the song even though he was not the original artist.

I mean how many people would know that Rockin All Over The World was first written and Recorded by John Fogerty. Rather than Quo, not many.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about other songs made famous by Rolf Harris, like Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport and Sun Arise? I suppose they won't be heard about now either and they were both as popular as Two Little Boys in their time.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention Jake The Peg :o
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    With the singer of the most famous version being found guilty. Is it right that it will now enevitably be blacklisted?

After all it was written in 1902 long before Mr Harris was even born. Harry Lauder made the song famous and I believe it was popular in WW1.

I mean I can't see Australia blacklisting their anthem Walzing Matilda because Rolf has done a version of it.

i don't listen to the radio, but i'd be surprised if the song was played much in the last decade. there's no need to blacklist it. people will play it if they want to, but as few people would be likely to play it then there would be little change. i'm sure in general few radio stations would want to play music by anyone who's been convicted of a serious offence, at least recently, but phil spector is in prison for killing someone and i doubt that has stopped his music being played
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing should be blacklisted...people need to separate the art from the artist.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    No. It's not my problem if people aren't mature enough to separate the art from the artist.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This OP should be blacklisted. The idea of blacklisting art because of the crimes of the artist is ludicrous.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see any performance or art by Rolf doing well from now on.

Official blacklist or not..
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This OP should be blacklisted. The idea of blacklisting art because of the crimes of the artist is ludicrous.

I see you did not read the op. I don't agree with blacklisting either. However it will happen as the DM will go into overdrive. If not.