iPad Security

LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Never been quite sure about this.
Is it safe, say, to do online banking on an iPad?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's safe.

No different from using a laptop or desktop PC
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using it in your own home, on a password-protected network, is perfectly secure. Probably.

In a cafe , or whatever, on a public network, is definitely not advisable.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Using it in your own home, on a password-protected network, is perfectly secure. Probably.

In a cafe , or whatever, on a public network, is definitely not advisable.
    Apart from being overlooked there is no other real problem! The data transfer from the Bank to and from the tablet is fully encrypted all the way - exactly as for a full sized PC
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Yes, it's safe.

No different from using a laptop or desktop PC

Thanks.
    On my PC I have Norton.
    There is no equivalent, at least not installed by me, on my iPad.
    Sorry to be a bore but how briefly does iPad security work?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Apart from being overlooked there is no other real problem! The data transfer from the Bank to and from the tablet is fully encrypted all the way - exactly as for a full sized PC

Thanks, I hadn't known that - possibly because I don't use internet banking. What about the initial message from the PC/tablet to the bank's website - is that encrypted in any way?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With internet banking, isn't the security taken care of on the website itself, rather than being dependent of any security on any wifi network?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    With internet banking, isn't the security taken care of on the website itself, rather than being dependent of any security on any wifi network?

No, because on a public wifi network the data is not encrypted until you connect to a secure site or use a VPN. So log in details, passwords etc won't be encrypted as you type them in. Also on public networks people can actually hack your system to see what you're looking at.

Also, you could be connecting to a fake public network (Google these they are springing up all over the place) that makes you think it's the real thing.

No one should use free public wifi for anything secure unless you use some form of encryption and even then personally I wouldn't trust it.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    No, because on a public wifi network the data is not encrypted until you connect to a secure site or use a VPN. So log in details, passwords etc won't be encrypted as you type them in. Also on public networks people can actually hack your system to see what you're looking at.
    This reads as incorrect! The user is ALWAYS connected to the Bank computers by https BEFORE the username and password are requested - the whole web-page which includes these boxes is supplied over this fully encrypted llink. The username and password values are themselves returned over the same connection and will be encrypted from the moment they leave the browser code and enter the (local - tablet or PC) network protocol stack.

Basically even if the local WiFi is not itself uising any encryption the usernames and passwords are 100% secure!
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »

Many thanks indeed, lettice, for the links.
    I am reassured.
    :)
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    This reads as incorrect! The user is ALWAYS connected to the Bank computers by https BEFORE the username and password are requested - the whole web-page which includes these boxes is supplied over this fully encrypted llink. The username and password values are themselves returned over the same connection and will be encrypted from the moment they leave the browser code and enter the (local - tablet or PC) network protocol stack.

Basically even if the local WiFi is not itself uising any encryption the usernames and passwords are 100% secure!

You're correct on that and I stand corrected but I would still never use a public wifi connection for things like online banking, when you first connect to the public wifi there is no encryption and your computer could be vulnerable, not to mention the risk of fake wifi hotspots or redirects to fake banking sites.

It's a big risk and if you read up what security sites suggest they really don't think it's a good idea.