Film 4 - free on Sky?

MrDMrD Posts: 1,788
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So then,

From July 23rd, they reckon Film4 will be free - satellite included... now is that FREE free, or FREE in the same way that More4 was supposed to be free on satellite?

Does anyone know for sure... or is it a case of waiting to find out?

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
  • logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are subscribed to a Sky package or have a non-subscription card then you will receive it. Incredibly in this age of freeflow of information it is impossible to say further. :(
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of long running Threads about this in the Freesat Forum.

Much discussion, much speculation.

No definitive answers.

Who cares - only a few days to go!
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Film4 will be Free to View on Satellite! a viewing card will be requred to see the channel.
  • SlaneSlane Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel99 wrote:
    Film4 will be Free to View on Satellite! a viewing card will be requred to see the channel.

Has that been officially announced or is it an intelligent guess?
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slane wrote:
    Complete guess.

It's been discussed to death on the other threads. Channel 4 won't answer emails about it, so nobody knows for sure

However there is a test running at the moment showing Film 4 weekly in the clear, no viewing card needed, so perhaps that is a clue.

The broadcasters can't even get their facts right when they do answer questions. e.g Channel 5 say their new channels will require a "Free to Air Card" to receive them!!!
  • SmegSnotSmegSnot Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrD wrote:
    Film 4 - free on Sky?

Not free on Sky as it's not a Sky channel but a Channel Four channel, however they are advertising it as being free on satellite, so it can only mean one thing, it will be free, not part of a subscription, whether it will be FTA or FTV no ones sure yet, will have to wait and see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its currently testing fta, but that doesnt mean its goona stay that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slane wrote:

Trust my Psyhic powers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest of us are happy to wait and see - this has been one of the most discussed topics for months and only one person has put their head on the block (...and it isn't moi!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    its offical watching ad on film 4 telling that film 4 will be free to everyone from 23 July on sky chl (315) ntl (701 or 50) telewest (444) and freeview (31). does not say if this is FTA or FTV
  • logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Film 4 & Film 4+1 were simply to change their encryption status to non subscription (FTV) then why this separate Film Four Weekly FTA transmission? :confused:

Why Film 4 weekly, when that is the one channel that is closing down? :confused:

I love a good mystery :D

I've nothing riding on the outcome either, but I expect someone is sweating just a bit :D
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Film4 go FTV surely it means it will need another encryption contact? They have got out of the pay one so why go FTV when they can just go FTA? Remember ITV3 launched on satellite and at that time ITV1 and 2 were still FTV weren't they? so it doesn't matter about C4 being FTV if it can go FTA at a later date to join Film4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Film4 go FTV surely it means it will need another encryption contact? They have got out of the pay one so why go FTV when they can just go FTA? Remember ITV3 launched on satellite and at that time ITV1 and 2 were still FTV weren't they? so it doesn't matter about C4 being FTV if it can go FTA at a later date to join Film4?

When ITV1 launched on Satellite ITV1 was FTV but ITV2 was Pay!
  • ste03ste03 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Have taken viewing card out of digibox and filmfour previews are been shown so will be FTA on 23 july.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't necessarily follow - but we hope you are right.

The EPG numbers were reshuffled on 20th and the Encryption removed in order to show the Previews to the widest possible audience.

We simply don't know whether the relaunch proper will see the FTA status remain or whether it will encrypt to FTV status.

Hopefully the former - of course!

Much more information, discussion and speculation over in the Freesat forum.
  • d3mond3mon Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    We simply don't know whether the relaunch proper will see the FTA status remain or whether it will encrypt to FTV status.
    Sky claim it's free-to-air , as do Channel4 here.

But then again, whether it's true or not remains to be seen! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Ive just put it on and there was an advertisement stating that from tonight at 9pm it will be a free film channel for Sky, Cable and Freeview :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Movies to follow Film4... Doubt they will
    At last a free movies channels which will show somes classics to mordern movies.... We all salute you Film4 for doing this :)

I feel sorry for all the filmfour subscriber who have paid £7.00 per month??? I wonder how they feel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    deybid wrote:
    I feel sorry for all the filmfour subscriber who have paid £7.00 per month??? I wonder how they feel?

Pleased they've got an extra £7 in their wallets!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    MrD wrote:
    So then,

From July 23rd, they reckon Film4 will be free - satellite included... now is that FREE free, or FREE in the same way that More4 was supposed to be free on satellite?

Does anyone know for sure... or is it a case of waiting to find out?

According to the Channel4/Film 4 web site it says that "Film 4 On digital satellite, the Film4 Channel will be available to freesat viewers as well as Sky digital subscribers. "
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But is that the combined FTV/FTA freesatfromsky or the FTA freesat?

If Film4 is FTA and other C4 channels follow, will anyone bother getting a card for £20 just to get five and Sky Three?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote:
    But is that the combined FTV/FTA freesatfromsky or the FTA freesat?

If Film4 is FTA and other C4 channels follow, will anyone bother getting a card for £20 just to get five and Sky Three?

Even if five and Sky Three were FTA, Sky could probably go on selling their cards for years. On this forum we are for the most part quite geeky when it comes to satellites, but the vast majority of the British population is still convinced that Sky = satellite, and they just refuse to believe that you can get something for free. My parents are convinced that I'm breaking the law by watching FTA channels like the Horror Channel or Men and Motors without a Sky box, and unfortunately most people in Britain think the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deybid wrote:
    Why?

Charging ceased on 19th July.

They are now saving that £7 a month, so what's the problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynzi23 wrote:
    Ive just put it on and there was an advertisement stating that from tonight at 9pm it will be a free film channel for Sky, Cable and Freeview :D
    Indeed - and in many other places too.

The problem is that there is much evidence that Channel 4 do not actually know what they themselves mean by "Free" as regards Digital Satellite.

If you are curious, read a sample of the related Threads in the Freesat Forum - you'll be surprised!

If not, 11.5 hours to go :D