Pound Shop Wars tonight BBC One 8pm

yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone watching? Caroline Aherne is doing the voice over. Quite funny.

I bought some ladies earmuffs from poundworld yesterday. I know they were only a quid but they don't even reach my ears when I put them on.

Comments

• newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    So...who's watching?

The narrator's annoying me, she sounds simple.

Anyway, I look in all the stores, 99p, Poundland and World.

In Croydon there's a new 99p opened (alongside the other one at the other end of the high street) which I tend to use as Poundland is too small and always massively busy.

Likewise, was in a Poundworld the otherday, and the shelves were all half empty.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Anyone watching? Caroline Aherne is doing the voice over. Quite funny.

I bought some ladies earmuffs from poundworld yesterday. I know they were only a quid but they don't even reach my ears when I put them on.

I thought it was Jane Horricks at first.

Watching it for the grim factor.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,685
    Forum Member
    It is a real shame a lot of people get rather duped by these pound shops.

Even if you dare go in to one of them you still have to shop around as many of the items are cheaper elsewhere ....... but a captive audience as they say buys the item anyway because it is 'only a pound'. :(
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The narrator's voice is very annoying!.

Remember the first time I went in Poundland it was as a stocktaker counting all the stock!.

85 year old mum still looks out for him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great of the BBC to give free advertsiing to shops that are already doing bloody well out of the recession. How about bigging up traders that really need it?
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These shops are becoming way to familiar on the highstreet. It really is quite sad actually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL Go for the most expensive item. :) :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    It is a real shame a lot of people get rather duped by these pound shops.

Even if you dare go in to one of them you still have to shop around as many of the items are cheaper elsewhere ....... but a captive audience as they say buys the item anyway because it is 'only a pound'. :(
    I agree.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can get a few bargains there. i get my loo roll, shampoo and conditioner and diet coke from pound shops. It's good for tupperware too. But there's a lot of tat too.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Didn't ITV do a prog about this recently :confused:
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    These shops are becoming way to familiar on the highstreet. It really is quite sad actually.

There is one of the 99p stores in a centre not too far from me (it was briefly pictured earlier). It's in a rough area and the shopping centre it is what it is, but it used to have some pretty big shops and now its full of pound shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still trying to work out how our local cheap shop can sell 3 packs of paracetemol for £1 when it's illegal to sell more than 2 packs at a time?????

(The tabs are only 16p a box in other shops too)
  • lloydsimcolloydsimco Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Caroline Ahern's voice is more annoying when she does audio only, I'm turning over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still trying to work out how our local cheap shop can sell 3 packs of paracetemol for £1 when it's illegal to sell more than 2 packs at a time?????

(The tabs are only 16p a box in other shops too)

maybe there are less tablets in the boxes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh so if you create a shop you can break the law if you want. :rolleyes:
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Didn't ITV do a prog about this recently :confused:
    One channel did a programme about how some of the items are cheaper in supermarkets than in poundshops and how they use smaller pack sizes to make it seem like items are cheaper when really they're not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    There is one of the 99p stores in a centre not too far from me (it was briefly pictured earlier). It's in a rough area and the shopping centre it is what it is, but it used to have some pretty big shops and now its full of pound shops.

Exactly they are ruining the high street. one pound shops and charity shops revolting.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,387
    Forum Member
    newda898 wrote: »
    So...who's watching?

The narrator's annoying me, she sounds simple.

Anyway, I look in all the stores, 99p, Poundland and World.

In Croydon there's a new 99p opened (alongside the other one at the other end of the high street) which I tend to use as Poundland is too small and always massively busy.

Likewise, was in a Poundworld the otherday, and the shelves were all half empty.

Me & I agree, I thought the voice sounded familiar but couldn't place it - but yes, very irritating. :mad:
    These places are great so long as you keep your eyes open and don't just buy stuff, because many thing can be bought in Supermarkets for less. Also, twice I bought Strawberry jam at Poundland and both times it went off before I was halfway down it. :rolleyes:
    They were selling Tunnocks choclate teacakes for £1 - 89p in Tesco.
    At the beginning of the prog. the manager said 'Rice Pudding for a £1' well I pay 14p for a tin of their everyday value rice pudding at Tesco. In fact if you have the time to trawl through their Everyday Value items, you'll find some amazing bargains. Poundland eat your heart out! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lloydsimco wrote: »
    Caroline Ahern's voice is more annoying when she does audio only, I'm turning over.

She is narrating like she is talking to 5 year olds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One channel did a programme about how some of the items are cheaper in supermarkets than in poundshops and how they use smaller pack sizes to make it seem like items are cheaper when really they're not.

It was Channel 4 Dispatches I beleive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Emmerdale's Marlon Dingle at my local pound shop. They hired him to do the official opening.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    That Brian pensioner chap's practically a caricature!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wheat crunchies at a wedding reception. Classy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    99p Poundland World customers for the B Ark. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    wheat crunchies at a wedding reception. Classy!

With her 99p shiny silver bag