TV or Cinema?

Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the option now available to view The Day of the Doctor at the cinema, I find meself pondering how I'd rather watch the special.

When the cinema screening were first announced, I figured/hoped that the special would air at some point after the TV airing. Basically, I wanted the best of both worlds. See the special in 2D at home... And then check it out again in 3D afterwards.

Now that's not an option, I have to make a decision. The obvious choice would simply be to attend the cinema screening 'live', and then watch the special again on iplayer afterwards. But at the same time, when I watch the special for the very first time, I want to be able to see it properly. And with 3D, I can't do that. I'm not someone who gets headaches or for whom the 3D doesn't work. I just don't like losing the vibrancy of a movie, losing the colours... which is pretty much inevitable when you're putting on a pair of what are effectively sunglasses to watch a movie. And so far, I've yet to see a 3D movie where the 3D was good enough to compensate for the duller picture.

Funnily enough, the only 3D I've ever been really impressed by, that really felt like proper 3D was at the Doctor Who experience, back when it was at Earl's Court. I guess cos it was a smaller screen, and I was at the front, but the little movie they showed there (some time vortexy thing, if I remember rightly) was the one time it's been like the images were really leaping from the screen.

But then on the other hand, watching the special with a bunch other fans and having the experience of seeing Who on a big screen, that's obviously tempting too.

Decisions, decisions.

So what are everyone else's plans? Presuming you're somewhere where you have the option to view a cinema screening, will you be trying to get tickets? Or will you be watching it the same way everyone did back in 1963?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    For me it's not the 2D vs. 3D issues (2D every time - Can't stand the gimmicky 3D stuff) but the fact that if I go the cinema to watch, there's a very strong chance that there will be other people there.

Other people who have forgotten how to site down and shut up without narrating the whole thing, or checking their 'phones the whole time.

Not to mention the fact that there will be children there. Parents will take their kids along because they're such big Doctor Who fans! These same children who will get bored whenever there's any kind of exposition or slowing of the Doctor's wacky antics.

I'm sorry to go on but I really want to get the best enjoyment out of the show without the tension of other people perhaps not behaving as I would like. I know it's not for me to dictate how other people act and so, to avoid the possibility of my enjoyment being spoiled, I shall stay at home and watch it on TV.

After unplugging the 'phone.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenRielly wrote: »
    For me it's not the 2D vs. 3D issues (2D every time - Can't stand the gimmicky 3D stuff) but the fact that if I go the cinema to watch, there's a very strong chance that there will be other people there.

Other people who have forgotten how to site down and shut up without narrating the whole thing, or checking their 'phones the whole time.

Not to mention the fact that there will be children there. Parents will take their kids along because they're such big Doctor Who fans! These same children who will get bored whenever there's any kind of exposition or slowing of the Doctor's wacky antics.

I'm sorry to go on but I really want to get the best enjoyment out of the show without the tension of other people perhaps not behaving as I would like. I know it's not for me to dictate how other people act and so, to avoid the possibility of my enjoyment being spoiled, I shall stay at home and watch it on TV.

After unplugging the 'phone.

im surprised you ever leave your cave on your island except to harangue passers by,lol

at the end of the day Cinema is a shared experience,if people are breaking the rules go outside and see the manager or workers,they will come in and stop them or chuck them out,simples
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . . . or checking their 'phones the whole time.
    I really cannot understand why people would do that. If you're going to the cinema, you spend nearly a tenner for the
    ticket to get in, and a few more quid for snacks and/or drinks, and sit through the entire presentation twiddling with
    an overpriced fruit badged toy, you've wasted a good chunk of cash and about 2-3 hours of your time.

What is the actual point of going to the cinema, if you're going to piss about with a cellphone throughout?!?
    :confused:
  • Twonky2000Twonky2000 Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Definitely watch it on tv. I can't imagine The Day of the Doctor will be the only Who programming on telly that night - even if it's only a few idents and a couple of BBC3 specials. You may want to be at home to catch it all live.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV for me. I really cannot tell the difference between 2D and 3D except that I have to wear uncomfortable glasses to watch 3D in the cinema. It certainly isn't worth the effort of trying to get tickets and getting to the cinema. As for the large screen I couldn't really care less about it. And I am more comfortable at home plus there is no risk of children talking through the programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cinema for me,its a one off event and is the closest we may get to a real Doctor Who Movie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »

Funnily enough, the only 3D I've ever been really impressed by, that really felt like proper 3D was at the Doctor Who experience, back when it was at Earl's Court.

It wasn't at Earl's Court it was at Kensington Olympia
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cinema for me,its a one off event and is the closest we may get to a real Doctor Who Movie

What isn't real about the movie in 1996?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    What isn't real about the movie in 1996?

i mean a Movie in the sense of a Cinema release not a TV Movie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    im surprised you ever leave your cave on your island except to harangue passers by,lol

at the end of the day Cinema is a shared experience,if people are breaking the rules go outside and see the manager or workers,they will come in and stop them or chuck them out,simples

Trust me, if I didn't have to go to work and buy food once in a while, I would gladly stay in my cave the whole time.

As for haranguing people, I try not to do that as it involves talking to them. Which I also try to avoid doing.

But back to the cinema thing - I don't want to have to miss parts of what I'm watching to berate the ignorant or to go and find a manager to get them kicked out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me, if I didn't have to go to work and buy food once in a while, I would gladly stay in my cave the whole time.

As for haranguing people, I try not to do that as it involves talking to them. Which I also try to avoid doing.

But back to the cinema thing - I don't want to have to miss parts of what I'm watching to berate the ignorant or to go and find a manager to get them kicked out.

:D:D:D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I have no intention of watching The Day Of The Doctor in a cinema. TV is the better option for me.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who is my favourite Television programme. Cinema is fine for what it is, but Doctor Who belongs on TV, watched in the comfort of your own home.

Going out in the cold, driving 20 miles to my nearest cinema, being horribly overcharged for unpleasant popcorn, sitting with noisy, phone checking strangers? No thanks!

I'll be at home, watching Doctor Who on a Saturday night. Just as it should be.
    A comfy sofa, in my cosy living room, with my kids, and perhaps a beer or two.
    Perfect.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    Doctor Who is my favourite Television programme. Cinema is fine for what it is, but Doctor Who belongs on TV, watched in the comfort of your own home.

Going out in the cold, driving 20 miles to my nearest cinema, being horribly overcharged for unpleasant popcorn, sitting with noisy, phone checking strangers? No thanks!

I'll be at home, watching Doctor Who on a Saturday night. Just as it should be.
    A comfy sofa, in my cosy living room, with my kids, and perhaps a beer or two.
    Perfect.

This is kind of how I feel. I rarely go to the cinema these days as it's just too much effort :D

On the other hand, since I have a 3D TV I still have the 2D vs 3D dilemma. 3D has its plusses and its minuses. The biggest minus, as was mentioned earlier, is the reduction in brightness and vibrancy. On the other hand, sometimes 3D effects can be cool.

I intend to watch the special in both formats at some point but which format I watch it in first is the real question!
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I vote TV - no annoying audience members and the opportunity to make a cuppa straight afterwards...

And then rewatch it.

Though seeing it in 3D would have been interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    This is kind of how I feel. I rarely go to the cinema these days as it's just too much effort :D

On the other hand, since I have a 3D TV I still have the 2D vs 3D dilemma. 3D has its plusses and its minuses. The biggest minus, as was mentioned earlier, is the reduction in brightness and vibrancy. On the other hand, sometimes 3D effects can be cool.

I intend to watch the special in both formats at some point but which format I watch it in first is the real question!

i Guess im lucky as the Cinema i go to are really good with 3D and do what they are supposed to and up the brightness on the projector
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    TV for me. I really cannot tell the difference between 2D and 3D except that I have to wear uncomfortable glasses to watch 3D in the cinema.

Same here, I have one eye a lot weaker than the other and a 3D film just looks 2D to me.

Out of all the 3D films I've watched in the last few years there was only one instant where I actually experienced a 3D effect.

Plus the nearest Cinema showing the Special is over 50 miles away so easy decision for me :)
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV I think,with a pair of headphones on full volume in case of any distractions.

Although the cinema should be good,It will be heaving and full of screeching kids.

if it was just going to be full of middle aged Whoverians(like myself) I might just risk it!!!!
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch it at home with the best view in the house or go to a cinema and get someone sitting in front of me blocking some of the screen whilst someone behind me keeps kicking the seat whilst people all around make noise talking or eating popcorn?

Tough choice. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you lot don't go to the local Zoo instead of the cinema,in all my cinemagoing life ive never had anyone kick a seat even in family films
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't like to watch Doctor Who regularly in the cinema, but I think just this once, because I can, I'd like to go and see it on the big screen in 3D just for the experience.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you lot don't go to the local Zoo instead of the cinema,in all my cinemagoing life ive never had anyone kick a seat even in family films

Well not so much "kick" it as rest their knees on the back.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think the audience will mostly be big fans and a bit more respectful than most. I'm more likely to get distracted by screaming kids and people talking at home!

I'm going to try for cinema ticket - I think, if nothing else, the atmosphere and buzz of fans getting together for the event will probably be worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the audience will mostly be big fans and a bit more respectful than most. I'm more likely to get distracted by screaming kids and people talking at home!

I'm going to try for cinema ticket - I think, if nothing else, the atmosphere and buzz of fans getting together for the event will probably be worth it.

exactly
  • MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :D Just my two-penny suggestion here :rolleyes:: what about watching the 3D cinema screening & then re-watching at home on iPlayer or Sky+ or however you have the capacity to re-watch the special? Afterall, it is very likely I'm going to watch it 2 or 3 times if only to relive the experience and it's one of the few episodes of Eleven left to experience.

Is anyone else surprised by the international footprint of the show worldwide? It's gonna be simulcast! :cool: