The Straight Story

CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who else has seen this absolute gem of a film by David Lynch? I saw it last night for the first time. Who would have thougt a film about an old man driving his lawnmower across America to visit his brother would be so good? Superbly acted, heartwarming, very emotional at times - that final scene choked me up good and proper (it's not a sad or depressing film though). If you've not seen it I would urge you to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnsVDKjhpc

Comments

• newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I have the DVD, have not watched it in the longest time, but was completely in love with it when I saw it first. Such a gentle warm story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely film that hardly anyone seems to have seen. I love David Lynch films anyway but this is totally different than anything I've ever seen of his. Beautiful. :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Lovely film that hardly anyone seems to have seen. I love David Lynch films anyway but this is totally different than anything I've ever seen of his. Beautiful. :)

I think the fact Lynch made a U rated Disney film- they were the distributor in North America and if I recall correctly it had the Magic Kingdom Walt Disney pictures intro there- may have confused people! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I think the fact Lynch made a U rated Disney film- they were the distributor in North America and if I recall correctly it had the Magic Kingdom Walt Disney pictures intro there- may have confused people! ;)

:D I think so!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it - well, partially - for what it was. A bit of lightweight Lynch whimsy, nothing more.

Rather like when one of your favourite novelists writes a children's book.

You go, 'Yeah, okay, but...'
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this back in 2004.. I didn't like it, it was really boring. Perhaps I need to rewatch it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great movie, and Sissy Spacek is lovely in it.