BT Infinity - your reviews

myviewmyview Posts: 696
Forum Member
✭✭
hi.
currently with SKY. have been for a few years. always praised them until now as ive been having severe problems for the past month.

BT say they have an unlimited (no FUP or bandwidth throttling or any caps) package which does suit me. I would be getting a guarenteed 25MB but up to 35MB. That's good.

but - from people who have infinity - how is it for you? What was the whole process like? are you satisfied?

Comments

• subby1subby1 Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Im afraid BT do throttle torrent downloads etc during peak times.. from the BT website:

To protect the performance of the network and to ensure the best experience for all users of the service, at peak times we may manage the speed of non-time critical applications such as P2P.

P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network. Because they use uploads and downloads and are often left running 24/7, they consume significant bandwidth, even when being used by just a small number of customers.

Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical - for example, downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing - we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.

You can, of course, still use P2P services, but downloads will take longer during the peak times.

Otherwise for me personally Infinity has been great, i was told by the checker to expect 26mb and i get 37.. no buffering on iplayer or youtube etc and when downloading off peak get 4.5mb a second speeds depending on where the files coming from. Would i recommend it? yes..
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had BT Infinitry since March this year. I was told on there website check that I would get a download speed of 29.9mb but 97% of the time im getting download speeds of over 35mb.
    Have only had the service go down twice since I got Infinity and that was only for a few mins each time.
    The new Home Hub 3 is very good but the Openreach modem is not as good as im on my 3rd modem since getting Infinity due to over heating or something like that with the last two Openreach modems.

Darren
  • prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also am very pleased with Infinity. Had it since July this year.
    I was on BT Broadband before and it took the Openreach engineer 30mins to attach a new faceplate on the master socket. Wall mount the Modem and connect the HH3, then demonstrate a speed test.
    Like Subby1 the checker for my telephone number estimated 26Mbps and I actually get with wireless "n" 37Mbps.
    This is my POST on the BT Infinity forum showing the checker estimate results and my actual..

My before Infinity and after speed results HERE.
    Note my line will support an upload speed of 11Mbps but I have chosen Infinity Option 1 with an upload max of 2Mbps.
    I am therefore capped and receive about 1.6Mbps upload.

Bit of info about the old Modem replacement HERE.

And a speed increase announcement HERE.
    Don't know if that will be chargeable or not.

I had to re-start another 18 month contract though.... I just couldn't negotiate around that bit.
  • myviewmyview Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thankyou all.

its interesting you mention the throttling as the guy said that 6 months ago they scrapped the FUP/throttling on the unlimited plan .

I asked him repeatitively if he is sure that there is no such thing as capping, throttling or FUP and he said "absolutely".

I work in IT so... of course, need faster downloads and download large files always

im quite surprised you have all said you are happy with BT infinity - given BT's poor history of internet :)

I pay currently £38 for SKY TV, telephone (SKY) and BB with SKY.
    if I switch to BT, id be paying a total of around £66 (inc my sky sub)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very happy indeed with my Infinity. I get the maximum speed available and I get that speed at all times.

The P2P throttling doesn't bother me. I rarely use Bittorrent and if I need to it's easy enough to do off peak.
  • myviewmyview Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about the length of the contract though. 18 months
    what about in terms of tech support - what is that like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myview wrote: »
    Shame about the length of the contract though. 18 months
    what about in terms of tech support - what is that like?

Tech support for me has been fine so far. Not used tech support since end of June when my Opereach modem packed in due to over heating so I was told when the Openreach guy came out to replace it and retest my speed.

Darren
  • MP34L1feMP34L1fe Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Estimate and what I got was actually spot on for me *sigh lol, however 26 meg is fast enough for me until they double the speeds next year and it has been extremely reliable. The only issue I had was with the XBox 360 and HH2, they sent me a HH3 instead and now no problems
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purely out of interest (BT may just get round to upgrading out exchange in 2097), how far are you guys from the green box?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    myview wrote: »
    1. its interesting you mention the throttling as the guy said that 6 months ago they scrapped the FUP/throttling on the unlimited plan .

2. im quite surprised you have all said you are happy with BT infinity - given BT's poor history of internet :)
    1. He was correct apart from P2P.

2. I am also in IT (I install SOHO Broadband) and I can't agree with that statement. BT are as good as any and better than most. What lets BT down (and many others) is their ill-trained barely English speaking Call Centre staff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidredge wrote: »
    Purely out of interest (BT may just get round to upgrading out exchange in 2097), how far are you guys from the green box?

600 Meters confirmed by Openreach engineer's equipment during installation.... Today's Speed Test using wireless "n".

This Openreach document is updated monthly and will give you an idea of your EXCHANGE progress, if any.
    Not down to cabinet level unfortunately.
    http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/where-and-when/

PC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. He was correct apart from P2P.

2. I am also in IT (I install SOHO Broadband) and I can't agree with that statement. BT are as good as any and better than most. What lets BT down (and many others) is their ill-trained barely English speaking Call Centre staff.

I agree, and I think it's worth remembering BT are the biggest ISP, by quite some way so you are bound to hear of more problems.

I'm about 600 metres.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsgroups aren't throttled at all.
  • MP34L1feMP34L1fe Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    Newsgroups aren't throttled at all.

Nope just Torrents, I never have any problems with Newsgroups
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im about 300 to 350 metres from the green BT box in the next street to the back of my house. Theres also a new BT green box about 700 metres or so from me. Thats 3 streets away from me.

Darren
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I moved to Infinity from Sky, so far i am delighted, the Home Hub 3 works very well indeed, much better than any of the 3 routers i got off sky. I was looking in to buying a cable router of my own choice but i have to say the HH3 has given me no reason to do so.

I am about 50m from the cab as the crow flies and my speeds have always been in this ballpark since day one http://www.speedtest.net/result/1592241427.png. when i get time ill flash the BTO modem to see if i am on the 17a profile and see what the attainable speed of my line is.

when the engineer arrived i had the HH3 set up and my old faceplate off the NTE5 ready, the install took 5 minutes to plug the modem in to the new faceplate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extremely happy here.

Used to get around 3Mb/s on the best BT Broadband package available to me.....now get 34Mb/s with BT Infinity!

No issues to date (only had it around 2 weeks though). X360, iPad, iPhones, laptops....all connect just fine.

http://speedtest.net/result/1592333970.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else on here have had to get there BT Openreach modem replaced at lest once since getting BT Infinity. For thats the only real problem I have had since getting BT Infinity. Apart from my broadband went off twice for 30 or 40 seconds one evening last week.
    This is my speed test for BT Infinity. It can vary a little a times but not by much.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1592382045.png

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Extremely happy here.

Used to get around 3Mb/s on the best BT Broadband package available to me.....now get 34Mb/s with BT Infinity!

No issues to date (only had it around 2 weeks though). X360, iPad, iPhones, laptops....all connect just fine.

http://speedtest.net/result/1592333970.png

Hmmm, speeds have dropped tonight to 13Mb.....and I don't hog the bandwidth either. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, speeds have dropped tonight to 13Mb.....and I don't hog the bandwidth either. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come...

Mine is still OK 37Mb and that's over wireless "n"

If your getting that slow speed over wireless I'd make sure you've got your HH3 moved off the Automatic wireless setting and select a clear/least congested channel.
    Inssider is a useful free PC wireless scanner to help identify a good channel to move the Hub to.

Also check your IP hasn't reduced... run the FTTC test on http://www.speedtester.bt.com/.

Best not to turn the Openreach modem off at all.
    It's especially important to keep it connected/on during the 10 day training period. This allows the exchange equipment to decide and assign the best profile (IP) for your line.
    My Download IP is 38716Kbps which means the fastest I could download would be around 38Mbps.

Test results showing IP etc scroll down in THIS POST.

PC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...
    > Download speedachieved during the test was - 12726 Kbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-14262 Kbps .
    Additional Information:
    IP Profile for your line is -14262 Kbps

Before I start tampering, any other thoughts?
  • eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Hmmm...

Errors would of push you're SNR up and hence you're IP profile would of came down

just leave it a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm...

turn the modem off for 5 minutes (so it is seen as a user powerdown) then it should recover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best not to turn the Openreach modem off at all.

Why? there is no confirmed 10 day training peroid for Infinity and turning the modem off once in a while clears errors, memory etc. You would have to turn it off and on a lot in an hour to freak the DSLAM out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Why? there is no confirmed 10 day training peroid for Infinity and turning the modem off once in a while clears errors, memory etc. You would have to turn it off and on a lot in an hour to freak the DSLAM out.

There is. When you get the email from BT after they take your order for Infinity it says not to turn the modem off for 10 days and to download as much as possible. Or words to that effect.