BSkyB buys O2/BE Broadband and Fixed Line Business

Comments

• TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I currently pay £9.50 a month for the 'legacy' o2 package which offers truly unlimited downloads, will I get a letter soon explaining the takeover to Sky and that I will have to pay more and take their phone line as well?
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I currently pay £9.50 a month for the 'legacy' o2 package which offers truly unlimited downloads, will I get a letter soon explaining the takeover to Sky and that I will have to pay more and take their phone line as well?

is the £9.50 solely for broadband? what are you paying the telephone line?

the equivalent sky package is £7.50pm plus telephone line
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    is the £9.50 solely for broadband? what are you paying the telephone line?

the equivalent sky package is £7.50pm plus telephone line

I pay that solely for broadband which is excellent and the person I live with pays Southern Electric for the telephone line. If they want me to have their phone line I will probably end up picking up that bill
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I pay that solely for broadband which is excellent and the person I live with pays Southern Electric for the telephone line. If they want me to have their phone line I will probably end up picking up that bill

the £7.50pm is if you take sky talk
    it's £10pm if you don't have any other sky services.
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why run round like headless chickens....we don't know what will happen yet?
    i too came back to o2 for CS....freecall 24hours a day and UK based
    i have just been given next 6 months half price so if it goes wrong i may try BT or VM....again
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Do Sky throttle? I went with BE five years ago because they didn't throttle, and to my knowledge, have never done so.
    no traffic shaping, throttling or bandwidth limits.
    Sky Broadband Unlimited - £7.50pm

It's £7.50 if you take out their TV or phone package along with the BB.

I don't think you can have Sky BB on it's own.

Since I've got a BT line, I might consider them since it's much easier and less faffing about.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

do they still do that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I already have Sky World HD. I'll just see what happens but O2 has always provided excellent service so it's a shame to see it go
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with O2. Not too happy about this at the moment, but I'll have to wait and see what changes may be occurring.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with Be for eight years or so and I'll be changing in the summer. I liked Be's attitude, helpfulness, morals and reliability, none of which I'm confident I'll get from Sky!
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    I've been with Be for eight years or so and I'll be changing in the summer. I liked Be's attitude, helpfulness, morals and reliability, none of which I'm confident I'll get from Sky!

Same with me. Also liked the fact Be really were unlimited, non of this "fair usage" nonsense. Do any other ISPs offer such good terms?
  • benwarwickbenwarwick Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    i used to have an 02 legacy package but moved to sky broadband and phone about 6 months ago, with 02 i used to get 11 to 14 mb with sky after there week of tests apparantly i got 0.01mb. After ringing up and threatning to cancel the lot (i have sky tv aswell) they bumped it to 11mb, and its remained at that constant speed ever since, so just expect a crappy speed at first in the hope you dont notice .
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some figures from the FT:
    • O2/BE has 560,000 broadband customers.
    • Two-thirds are broadband-only, one-third have line rental as well.
    • One third of its customers subscribe to Sky TV.
    Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/06ab55c2-8243-11e2-843e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2LxcwsIgk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    do they still do that?

it's still listed on the sky website.
    http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/
    Sky Broadband Unlimited
    The peace of mind of totally unlimited broadband with no usage caps.

£7.50 a month
    With Sky TV (from £21.50 a month),
    Sky Talk Weekends (no extra cost)
    and Sky Line Rental (£14.50 a month)
    or £10 a month without Sky TV
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it's still listed on the sky website.

yeah that is without sky tv. not without sky line rental though isn't it?
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Some figures from the FT:
    • O2/BE has 560,000 broadband customers.
    • Two-thirds are broadband-only, one-third have line rental as well.
    • One third of its customers subscribe to Sky TV.
    Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/06ab55c2-8243-11e2-843e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2LxcwsIgk
    Interesting ... so what'll happen with those two thirds of O2/BE customers (myself included)? Would Sky have
    the audacity to force them all to take up Sky's line rental service, regardless of their current seperate setups?

Our household currently pays £11 per month line rental to Post Office HomePhone, while I'm currently on the
    "legacy" O2 Broadband Unlimited package. If I were to choose to stay with O2 for the time being, whilst the
    acquisition goes through, what are the chances Sky would try to force me to subscribe to their phone line
    rentalservice, even though I personally don't currently want or need a phone line rental service?
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same with me. Also liked the fact Be really were unlimited, non of this "fair usage" nonsense. Do any other ISPs offer such good terms?
    Ah yeah, no throttling, that's another big thing.

I've had The Phone Co-op recommended, but they have a fair use policy, and UKFSN, but they don't seem to have an unlimited option for FTTC broadband :(
  • zak2012zak2012 Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I m with o2 at moment great service,its bad to see it go i hate other providers , o2 unlimited broadband and phoneline i pay just £15 a month very cheap unfortunaly when sky take over it will go up then i have to leave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    yeah that is without sky tv. not without sky line rental though isn't it?

of course.
    you need a telephone line for DSL, it makes sense to bundle it together with broadband provider - 1 bill, 1 supplier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sky broadband as no fair usage policy or throttling.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Is BT infinity any good? Do like the look of BT Vision and the catalogue of sports rights built up by the company.
  • Devil_NightsDevil_Nights Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Rang o2 for my MAC,was offered 12 months free broadband,said no chance.Already received a text and email with my code,will ring BT later to get the ball rolling on Infinity,shame as i was really pleased with the service at o2.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well darn, been BE for 6 or 7 years, had a great deal, truly unlimited, syncing at 17-19mbs, good tech support etc. Really don't want Sky or BT, but now I'm forced to choose 1 or the other if I want to be able to watch streaming HD stuff still. At least I was on a grandfathered 1 month rolling contract so can jump ship when I like.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rang o2 for my MAC,was offered 12 months free broadband, said no chance.Already received
    a text and email with my code,will ring BT later to get the ball rolling on Infinity,
    shame as i was really pleased with the service at o2.
    Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the Customer Retentions department at the local O2 call centre! They'll be a quite
    busy (and panicking probably) right now, and I guess they'll continue to be busy for the next couple of weeks!
  • Devil_NightsDevil_Nights Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the Customer Retentions department at the local O2 call centre! They'll be a quite
    busy (and panicking probably) right now, and I guess they'll continue to be busy for the next couple of weeks!

When i rang up,clicked Option 5 (moving house or thinking of leaving us),couldnt even get through! ended up just pressing 1 and doing it that way,eventually got through,woman i spoke to was really nice and understood why i wanted to leave.