Do those Slendertone things work?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
Forum Member
I basically want to improve by abdominal muscles. I'm slim already so it's not a weight thing. Has anyone tried this and does it work? I'll also be doing crunches and sit-ups etc as well, but am wondering if this product would be worth it as a ' top-up'. I'm a little sceptical about electrocuting myself though...I keep thinking that it can't be good. Anyone had any experience?

(I'm female BTW)

Comments

• SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,833
    Forum Member
    I had one of those things a while back - not a slendertone one, but one with 6 pads that you can place anywhere - and tbh I stopped using it after a few weeks - I did see a difference, but it didn't feel natural muscle growth and I got sick of electrocuting myself as you say - plus I once put the power on too high and it hurt a lot! :eek: I would stick to sit-ups etc, it'll save you having to spend on the gel anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never tried it and don't know anyone who has. I'm with you in the sceptical / slightly scared camp.

If you are planning to work out then I wouldn't bother with this as well. Someone at your gym can easily show you a few effective stomach toning exercises and you'll get a much greater sense of achievement and enjoyment from doing them.

xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Thanks both, that's very useful. :)
  • BrianlionBrianlion Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had some cheap ab toner with 6 pads, i didnt really notice a diffence.
    my arse hole brother turned the power to max and it almost killed my stomach, suffice to say i hit him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Slendertone and yes, they really do work. I originally had an abs system with the six pads but I couldn't get on with those and they are tedious to use. You can the Slenderrone whatever you are doing (except driving and bath/showering) so it has a big advantage over traditional stomach muscle exercises.

If you follow the simple instructions you will not electrocute yourself and once you find your level, you will not even notice it running.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Bossyboots. I have the Slendertone abdominal one and it works so well (especially compared to others that I've tried) that I bought the shorts one as well. :)
  • Ju411Ju411 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neddy2000 wrote:
    I agree with Bossyboots. I have the Slendertone abdominal one and it works so well (especially compared to others that I've tried) that I bought the shorts one as well. :)

I'd like to come back to those shorts..how to they feel like? Super tight fit? And how's the effect? I'm quite keen on improving my glutes as well as abdominal muscles (my physio has noticed I'm really weak on these, and in combination with different lengths on my legs it caused back probs..hence those Slendertone thingies are something I am looking into...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ju411 wrote:
    I'd like to come back to those shorts..how to they feel like? Super tight fit? And how's the effect? I'm quite keen on improving my glutes as well as abdominal muscles (my physio has noticed I'm really weak on these, and in combination with different lengths on my legs it caused back probs..hence those Slendertone thingies are something I am looking into...:)
    They aren't a super tight fit but they are more fiddly than the belt to try and take the covers off the pads whilst making sure they are in the right places.

They work well too but I didn't use them for long enough as with all exercise equipment I can lose interest. For some reason though I stuck with the belt. I think it's because the belt is so easy and can be used anywhere.

All in all I would recommend Slendertone over other makes I have tried. :) Belt first though ;)
  • Ju411Ju411 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neddy2000 wrote:
    They aren't a super tight fit but they are more fiddly than the belt to try and take the covers off the pads whilst making sure they are in the right places.

They work well too but I didn't use them for long enough as with all exercise equipment I can lose interest. For some reason though I stuck with the belt. I think it's because the belt is so easy and can be used anywhere.

All in all I would recommend Slendertone over other makes I have tried. :) Belt first though ;)
    Thanks neddy2000... could you recommend a 'cheap' supplier?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the original one in the 70s. My ex and I used to play with it all the time. One day he turned the pulse reverse on it while I was using it OMG that bloody well hurt.
    Another time we both put pads on our arm muscles and it was hysterical funny, that is until we tried to turn it off but our arms were still going up and down, and there was nothing we could do. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ju411 wrote:
    Thanks neddy2000... could you recommend a 'cheap' supplier?
    I couldn't really. I got mine from Boots however they are available on Ebay, always worth a look. :)

Or you could always do a price comparison such as the following

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Slendertone_Flex__5110338

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neddy2000 wrote:
    I couldn't really. I got mine from Boots however they are available on Ebay, always worth a look. :)

Or you could always do a price comparison such as the following

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Slendertone_Flex__5110338

:)

You can buy direct from Slendertone and order a set of replacement pads at the same time.

Their replacement pads are cheaper than I have been able to get anywhere if you buy the set of three which comes with two sets of batteries as well.
  • john74john74 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way to lose weight is to increase your exercise and reduce your food intake. You only burn energy by increasing your heart rate. Using those slendertone things may improve your muscles but what is the point if excess fat hides them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    john74 wrote:
    The only way to lose weight is to increase your exercise and reduce your food intake. You only burn energy by increasing your heart rate. Using those slendertone things may improve your muscles but what is the point if excess fat hides them?
    That's not an issue for me. I don't need to lose any weight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john74 wrote:

Tightening up the stomach muscles makes the stomach flatter. This is not about losing weight, but muscle tone improvement. I went down a skirt size within weeks of buying mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I personally would save your money and work out properly.

A quote from that link
    came across the Slendertone Flex in a magazine and thought I had misread the claims! It claims to do the equivalent of 300 situps (or something like that!) in 30 minutes with no effort required. So ..... shed blood sweat and tears daily doing situps

You have to wear that thing for half an hour to get just 300 situps, to me thats nothing as when your working out whilst doing situps your working your ass and thighs too, lots of different groups of muscles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^A^DeLPhi^ wrote:
    I personally would save your money and work out properly.

A quote from that link

You have to wear that thing for half an hour to get just 300 situps, to me thats nothing as when your working out whilst doing situps your working your ass and thighs too, lots of different groups of muscles.

That might be nothing to you but I physically cannot do situps.

Even if I could do them, I don't have the time. At least with the Slendertone I can do "900 situps" a day while eating breakfast, cooking dinner and doing the ironing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it helped tone my stomach a little.Hated the messy conductive gel but I think you can buy them without.Putting the power up too high feels like a hernia:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaurenB wrote:
    I found it helped tone my stomach a little.Hated the messy conductive gel but I think you can buy them without.Putting the power up too high feels like a hernia:(

Slendertone does not use conductive gel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bossyboots wrote:
    Exactly and that's one of things that makes it so good. :)

John74 wrote:

As has been said before some people just want to tone their muscles and don't need to lose fat. However, for those that do need to lose fat, having more muscles helps you to lose more fat. Having a Slendertone doesn't automatically mean you are not going to bother to do any other exercise or to eat more healthily. It provides a great back up for any other slimming plan. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bossyboots wrote:

Ok so I have the bastard version:(
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite an old thread this but wanted to know what sort of routine the people that have one use? How long you have it on and what programmes and intensity you use? :)
  • BrianlionBrianlion Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO, it does not work, abbs are visible through low bodyfat (bf%) and not by this slendertone crap. your bodyfat is manipulated by Diet and training. (Training in the form of Cardio and weight resistance).

Diet should consist of 6 meals a day of proper wholesome food, no junk, no crap. i.e. jack pot with tuna and sweetcorn and salad, etc
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brianlion wrote: »
    NO, it does not work, abbs are visible through low bodyfat (bf%) and not by this slendertone crap. your bodyfat is manipulated by Diet and training. (Training in the form of Cardio and weight resistance).

Diet should consist of 6 meals a day of proper wholesome food, no junk, no crap. i.e. jack pot with tuna and sweetcorn and salad, etc

Yes but if you do all that and use the slendertone it will help/speed it up I guess. To say they don't work is a bit silly when other posters have said they do? I thought you wore it while doing ab crunches as well? :D
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brianlion wrote: »
    i had some cheap ab toner with 6 pads, i didnt really notice a diffence.
    my arse hole brother turned the power to max and it almost killed my stomach, suffice to say i hit him.

I did that by accident once, I nearly went through the roof!
    Why do they have to make the settings that high anyway?!

I think they do work but remember they don't burn fat, they just give your stomach more definition.