GTA V installation X360

gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
Forum Member
✭✭✭
has anybody installed disc 2??

i always install to the HDD, i get very nervous of laser burn when not installed.

anybody gone against R* advice?

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I installed it to a spare usb stick I had. Solves the problem.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was advised not to install disc 2?!
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't install it to the same place you install the 'install' disc is all, or you will get texture pop up as it tries to stream textures/ load other stuff, at the same time from the same place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

Not if you only own a 8 GB stick.
  • sparky07sparky07 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you still get any pop up? Mines installed to a 16gb USB but I've still noticed quite a bit of pop up at high speeds and textures taking time to load?

The only benefit seems to be that my 360 doesn't sound like a Hoover!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparky07 wrote: »
    Do you still get any pop up? Mines installed to a 16gb USB but I've still noticed quite a bit of pop up at high speeds and textures taking time to load?

The only benefit seems to be that my 360 doesn't sound like a Hoover!

To be honest I was still getting pop up when still playing from disc so I much prefer the quieter option.

And the obvious solution is? 16GB sticks are cheap as chips nowadays, unless you don't bother looking for cheap options...
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    installing to usb does not eliminate pop up but does reduce it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    installing to usb does not eliminate pop up but does reduce it

I don't even think playing from the dvd disc eliminates pop up :D
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intresting.. maybe an update will solve it???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intresting.. maybe an update will solve it???

Apparently not...
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    When I played from Disk I was getting some pop up still, since I've installed on two separate USB sticks I've not received any of note, other than in the countryside where the odd bush might pop in or when looking through telescopes, that's normal though.

There is a glitch though with the floor texture streaming some assets, it's most noticeable in the countryside and it's in really stark contrast to the city and the high res ground textures. I hope that will be addressed in a future title update. Very reminiscent of the issues Skyrim suffered from at launch (though not nearly as bad)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will any usb stick do?
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Disc 2 (Play Disc) shouldn't need as much space as Disc 1 - AFAIK you should be able to fit Disc 2 on an 8gb stick (Though I havent confirmed that)
    will any usb stick do?

No, it needs to be a reasonably fast one or it won't work, so non-branded cheap ones are probably out.

The key thing is not to have both discs installed to the same drive, as the game is designed to access both disc images at the same time - that is a lot of work (and wear) for a HD read head, so the second disc is best placed on a USB drive to spare your HD that extra load.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will any usb stick do?

16GB USB 2 to be safe. £7 for a Kingston on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-16GB-Traveler-Champagne/dp/B006YBARCA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379928888&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston+16gb+usb
    Asmo wrote: »
    Disc 2 (Play Disc) shouldn't need as much space as Disc 1 - AFAIK you should be able to fit Disc 2 on an 8gb stick (Though I havent confirmed that)

Probably best to go with 16GB due to the system nonsense. The 360 sees an 8GB stick as something like 7.3...
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    it will not fit on a 8gb stick - only 6 something left after formatting for the 360.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it will not fit on a 8gb stick - only 6 something left after formatting for the 360.

What size is the Disc 2 install? I thought only Disc 1 was Dual Layer? Away from console atm, must actually check that out later!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What size is the Disc 2 install? I thought only Disc 1 was Dual Layer? Away from console atm, must actually check that out later!

It's a 7.8GB install leaving 6.3GB on a 16GB stick (60kb is taken up by system stuff, apparently, too).

To confirm, that's for disc 2.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine is installed on a 16gb and it says 6.odd space free.

Also, it's a SanDisk £10. Good for back up saves and such.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok will get one...will ask a kind fm member on here how to do it when i get it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok will get one...will ask a kind fm member on here how to do it when i get it

When plugged in it will give an option to format to 360 specs. Should take less than a minute. Don't worry if it says the USB isn't up to the job. It'll still work.
    Then go through the regular install process and choose USB instead of HDD. And Robert's your father's brother.
  • TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you install any game to the hdd?if so what buttion options do you press?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the HOME tab. Top left tile is the game in the drive. Press 'X' and choose install.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disc 2 installing to usb right now..

so when i play the game, will it automatically run from the usb stick?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    disc 2 installing to usb right now..

so when i play the game, will it automatically run from the usb stick?

Yes, just keep it plugged in. The only thing you'll notice is that, the first time you go to save a game or the auto-save kicks in, it'll now ask where you want to save. I just kept saves on the hard drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, just keep it plugged in. The only thing you'll notice is that, the first time you go to save a game or the auto-save kicks in, it'll now ask where you want to save. I just kept saves on the hard drive.

i did a quick save but the drive still seems like its whirring....

i hate playing from the disc with a passion