GAME / Gamestation Store Closure list

Comments

• linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Lloyds has been clever and (when forced to sell off 1,000 branches to the Co-Op) has sold off mostly ex-C&G branches (which were small) rather than their main branches or the large ex-TSB branches - and that's nothing to do with the volume of customers of each branch as apparently the number of customers being moved is being 'negotiated'.

So I don't really understand why Game/GameStation closed their best location stores unless they were SO seriously in debt and had such low turnovers that the rental cost greatly outweighed all other considerations.

Locally they have one shop in Stoke on Trent City Centre (or Hanley as us true locals still call it) - it's a GameStation near to McDonalds but otherwise away from the main shopping centre. I can only assume that they might own that shop, whereas the two branches that close in the Shopping Centre were rented.

I remember reading about Game maybe this thread that alot of it's trade was passing not everybody goes in to buy. So closing those shops maybe saved a bit of rent meaning they can charge a premium price for high street games rather than a prominent location.

I mean Asda do Games preowned and new but it's all a bit of a jumble and very little choice so we need these stores.

But I imagine either they don't expect Game to last with the next generation of no disc consoles or they plan a long term expansion or pop up stores to get back in prime locations.

There's no doubt in the recession times prominent units are quickly snapped up look at Woolies.

The best thing for the consumer was for Game to be sold off and some closures and for Game Station to shut a few stores and cut back but sell them onto somebody else so there's high street competition. Many would argue HMV was much better under the days of Virgin music stores with better competition.

I have noticed the stores they saved are twice as busy since they shut either Game or Game Station. I also read they were trying to save all these stores just before administration so I bet they could have turned it around. Somebody like Comet buying Game would have been better as they could have merged it into PC World stores like Phones4U. They need some prominent units if they want a strong xmas as shoppers tend to go for the main shopping streets not the shops in poor locations.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the Gamestation in Birmingham City centre. It always used to be busy when I went there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the rebrand to Game is happening.

I think ditching Game Station is an unpopular move by hardcore gamer fans but from a business point of view one of the brands had to go. Game is the more bright, modern high street friendly brand. Game Station has too much of a 90's feel to it despite offering a better service.

Perhaps some landlords will offer them cheaper rent to occupy the old Game unit if there's a Game Station remaining open close by? Would save them money rebranding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    game in worthing is still trading, went there last week.

unfortunately gamestation in the same town went this summer though.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not overly pleased at the idea of Game being the main brand behind the two businesses. It's over priced, tacky and the store layouts are awful.

At least Gamestation actually felt like a game shop.
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always felt game was to formal and serious, guys in shirts and looking like they'd be better off working in an office, gamestation however much more gamer friendly , t shirts and casual gear. These guys LOOK like actual gamers, yeah gamestation is my shop of choice, thankfully we have still got ours (Bognor)
  • CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ninz39 wrote: »
    I always felt game was to formal and serious, guys in shirts and looking like they'd be better off working in an office, gamestation however much more gamer friendly , t shirts and casual gear. These guys LOOK like actual gamers, yeah gamestation is my shop of choice, thankfully we have still got ours (Bognor)

Not for much longer
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the Gamestation in Birmingham City centre. It always used to be busy when I went there.

Me too.:( I thought it'd be one of the safest ones in the country, yet it was one of the first to go. Makes me sad walking down New Street and seeing it closed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    im surprised some independant game shops havent picked up some of the old closed game stores, especially in main high streets some good money could be made, the two independant stores in ponte are thriving, console yourself and grainger games
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    One of the GAME's in sunderland got closed down too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im surprised some independant game shops havent picked up some of the old closed game stores, especially in main high streets some good money could be made, the two independant stores in ponte are thriving, console yourself and grainger games

I doubt it. The reason they shut was high rents.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Isn't Gamestation soon to cease existing? I know they not out of business but rebranding to GAME
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. The reason they shut was high rents.

If the buildings are 'council owned' you can sometimes do a good deal on rent prices etc as they'd rather have the shops bringing in money than sat empty, sure private owners would see it the same way too if sat empty long enough
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Independent game shops have struggled since used games went mainstream. With high street stores offering high profile trading schemes and now online passes its very hard for an indie store to actually make money on games.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm surprised that so many people still buy games in a store. I literally can't remember the last time I did that .
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised that so many people still buy games in a store. I literally can't remember the last time I did that .

At least you don't have to rely on the Royal Mail when you buy a game from a store :p
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Game have teamed up with BT to offer free Wi-Fi in their remaining stores. The idea is to enhance their cross media shopping experience.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47544/game-to-add-free-wi-fi-stores

I think they're making a huge mistake, so many devices now have online price checkers or even barcode scanners that automatically tell you the best price you can get. I can see so many people going into GAME seeing a game they like, scanning it with their phone and checking a price comparison site through the stores free wi-fi....then going off and buying it online at the cheapest store,
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    At least you don't have to rely on the Royal Mail when you buy a game from a store :p

10 years of buying games online and i've never lost one in the post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in some former Game Station stores in the past few days.

Almost identical but a new sign above the door.

Seems the people who run them who sent comet into administration don't want to spend much on a proper refit. Makes no sense as GAME stores actually have a different fit to Game Station.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    CLOSED: Both Stores in Manchester Arndale Centre
    The one in the Manchester Arndale centre re-opened recently
  • JamesbucJamesbuc Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    I was in some former Game Station stores in the past few days.

Almost identical but a new sign above the door.

Seems the people who run them who sent comet into administration don't want to spend much on a proper refit. Makes no sense as GAME stores actually have a different fit to Game Station.

Same for my local former Gamestation store, same layout, staff (thank goodness) and everything. A friend of mine had even gone in on the day of the change, bought a game in-store and was surprised later when I casually brought the changeover in conversation XD
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coun yourself lucky only place we can go is game and asda if you want an alternative it's 30 miles one way 30 miles another way and 1 hour drive the other way....and if ou got the other way you end up travelling for 2 hours. I've never even seen a meditation...to like the equivelent of a leprechaun. We all kne they exist but no ore ever seen them
  • Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coun yourself lucky only place we can go is game and asda if you want an alternative it's 30 miles one way 30 miles another way and 1 hour drive the other way....and if ou got the other way you end up travelling for 2 hours. I've never even seen a meditation...to like the equivelent of a leprechaun. We all kne they exist but no ore ever seen them

I guess you could say buying online is perfect for you then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GAME shop that was shutdown in West Quay, Southampton is now re-opened. :confused:
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a GAME store in Gran Canaria when I was there last month. I didn't realise they had stores overseas.