Richard Briers battling with chronic lung disease

Comments

• jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course smoking has an affect on their health... it may not kill them or be visible but how can any smoker have as good lung function as a healthy non-smoker? It defies all reason.

It's very likely to have an adverse effect, but some people have lucky genetics and smoking will have little effect or no effect on them

My dads step dad lived to 102 who was a heavy drinker and chain smoker for his whole life. Official cause of death 'Extreme old age'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that Bradley Wiggins is a smoker. Which other gold medal Olympians are ?
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I wonder what his former co-star Penelope Keith makes of it all, seeing as she used to advertise Benson & Hedges cigarettes? I would hope Ms Keith has managed to quit the habit now.

Sad news about Richard, he didn't smoke on TV did he?

Only twice that I can recall, one episode of The Good Life Tom asked Jerry for one as he Hadn't had one for ages. Martin Bryce also was seen to light up a thin cigar in an early episode of Ever Decreasing Circles.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Not all smokers get a smoking related disease, some people continue smoking into their nineties without any problem, it's easy to blame the tobacco for most serious illnesses these days, but sometimes it has naff all to do with it.

And before anyone starts, I know several older people who have been smoking for decades and have had no health problems whatsoever.

None that have been diagnosed....
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he is dying now, and still loves smoking, he may as well light up again. I mean, the damage is done and he should enjoy the time he has left :(
    He wouldn`t be allowed oxygen if he still smoked (he might blow himself up!). Also, smoking would make the emphysema considerably worse. Obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He said he used to love smoking but he gave it up 10 years ago and says people have to quit in their thirties if they do not want to develop a smoking-related disease in later life. He seems to have admitted not quitting in time because he enjoyed smoking. He does not smoke now.

He has given people a warning, but also he shows an understanding by his own example as to why some smokers do not quit (in time).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    He wouldn`t be allowed oxygen if he still smoked (he might blow himself up!). Also, smoking would make the emphysema considerably worse. Obviously.

That happened near me old lady with Emphysema died after lighting a **** when she was on her oxygen mask. she set the bedroom on fire too.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    None that have been diagnosed....

If you're in your nineties and have never been admitted to hospital for any kind of illness regardless of smoking, I personally think that that is good going. If there was any kind of serious illness afoot then they would have shown signs of it and have gone to the GP or the ED. Its quite easy to sit there blaming smoking for everything, alcohol is just as bad yet people continue to have wine and cheese parties
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stanley Kubrick was a smoker, without any obvious signs of a smoking-related illness. He died at 70 from a massive heart attack in his sleep, whereas his father, a doctor, a non-smoker, lived till 90.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Stanley Kubrick was a smoker, without any obvious signs of a smoking-related illness. He died at 70 from a massive heart attack in his sleep, whereas his father, a doctor, a non-smoker, lived till 90.

And what proof is there that smoking caused his heart attack?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A strong probability that it was a major factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A strong probability that it was a major factor.

His wife said he hardly slept and had took on far too much work wise. This coupled with smoking still does not prove smoking was the major cause of his death. Stress is a common cause of heart attacks also. There were conspiracies surrounding his death too, surely if it was so cut and dry as "oh the smoking killed him," there would be no conspiracies and why would his friends think he was going to outlive everyone if he was such a heavy smoker. The man quit smoking in the seventies but would still smoke during filming, not everyone can smoke and live for years some people do not have the strong genes that others appear to have to smoke and be safe.

Smoking is dangerous for some people but not for others. Whether its genetics or what, who knows but these are facts.

I could sit here debating this all night but to be honest if you can't see what I am trying to say then its pointless because all I'm saying is, some smokers do not die of smoking related illnesses
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Hockney thinks his heart attack had nothing to do with him smoking, and believes that smoking is only dangerous for some people. Is he deluding himself ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Hockney thinks his heart attack had nothing to do with him smoking, and believes that smoking is only dangerous for some people. Is he deluding himself ?

As I have stated several times... SOME people can get away with smoking, others can't. You are pointing out people who smoke and have had heart attacks when I could point out people who don't smoke and have had heart attacks, why are the people who don't smoke and who have never been exposed to smokey atmospheres having heart attacks?

Of course smoking is bad for you but so are a lot of other things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame e-cigs weren't invented earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raised homocysteine levels are perhaps the foremost factor in causing heart attacks, followed by smoking, followed by raised cholesterol levels.

Smoking damages each person who smokes, but some can withstand the damage better than others, to the extent that it is not fatal to them, or recorded as the primary cause of their death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raised homocysteine levels are perhaps the foremost factor in causing heart attacks, followed by smoking, followed by raised cholesterol levels.

Smoking damages each person who smokes, but some can withstand the damage better than others, to the extent that it is not fatal to them, or recorded as the primary cause of their death.

I agree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    A shame e-cigs weren't invented earlier.

There were the candy cigarettes instead ;)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    That happened near me old lady with Emphysema died after lighting a **** when she was on her oxygen mask. she set the bedroom on fire too.

That's actually tragic but funny at the same time :o

Smoking can kill in so many ways :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

That's actually tragic but funny at the same time :o

Smoking can kill in so many ways :p

Indeed although how she died was nasty. She wasn't a very nice person. Once my mum saw her driving slowly down the road with her door partly open. Mum went to look and the stupid woman only had her dog running alongside the car. its lead tied round the steering wheel and the poor dog panting.

Mum did report her but got the standard "we need further evidence" reply. This was about 10 years ago before camera phones were the norm.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anybody with any doubts should read Liz Dawn's story (published last month) about how smoking has affected her life.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/liz-dawn-coronation-streets-vera-1559778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think anybody with any doubts should read Liz Dawn's story (published last month) about how smoking has affected her life.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/liz-dawn-coronation-streets-vera-1559778

I wonder if showing shock pics of Liz Dawn gasping for breath and using an oxygen mask on cigarette packets would make people think twice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if showing shock pics of Liz Dawn gasping for breath and using an oxygen mask on cigarette packets would make people think twice?

Obesity, alcohol, both of these are killers also, maybe we should also put a picture of several pallbearers struggling to carry an obese person's coffin on bars of chocolate or have an image of a diseased liver on every single bottle and can of alcohol. This will not stop people from smoking, over eating or drinking, they have to have a health scare or decide to quit themselves and this applies to all of the above, not just smoking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Obesity, alcohol, both of these are killers also, maybe we should also put a picture of several pallbearers struggling to carry an obese person's coffin on bars of chocolate or have an image of a diseased liver on every single bottle and can of alcohol. This will not stop people from smoking, over eating or drinking, they have to have a health scare or decide to quit themselves and this applies to all of the above, not just smoking

Very true. Both Briers and Dawn knew the dangers of smoking and because of the strong nicotine addiction carried on until their current medical conditions. It is a shame they could not find it in them to stop sooner.

The best way to prevent getting emphysema is not to start smoking it seems :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are now about 8m smokers still in the UK and 1m e-cigarette users. Over time, the number of e-cigarette users will increase and overtake the number of smokers, as former smokers realise they can service their nicotine addiction at less risk to their health and less cost to their purse. It might take 50 years or more before this happens but by 2100 at least, I expect real tobacco smokers to be in a minority to e-cigarette users, at least in the UK.