The Tower - ("Towering Inferno" Remake)

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
PLOT:
Christmas Day—At Tower Sky, the ultra-luxurious landmark building complex, a “White Christmas” party is held to dazzle its equally high-end tenants and VIP guests. Dae-ho, the manager of the building and single father, is forced to cancel his plans with his daughter Ha-na on Christmas day to work the event. The party is in full swing with two helicopters spraying snow on the partygoers below, when suddenly, one of the helicopters crashes into the building and sets it ablaze. Young-ki is a legendary firefighter, throwing himself into the burning building to save the lives of strangers. Together, Young-ki and Dae-ho must fight to save the lives of everyone around them.

Most of us have seen the original 1974 version with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman. I actually watched it a couple of months ago on Netflix so it's still fresh in my mind. It was AWFUL! It has aged badly and it's quite poor by today's standard.

Well "The Tower" is a South Korean remake and it is TERRIFIC! The story is essentially the same as the original except this time it's done better. Like most "disaster" films, this one takes awhile to get started (introducing each character and their stories) and it has its fair share of melodrama too (this is a korean film afterall). But once the action starts at the 30 minute mark it all gets pretty damn exciting. The visual FX is very good and the acting is fine except for some ill-advised attempt at comedy (Korean entertainment love mixing tragedy and comedy in their films & TV programs). A couple of the deaths are actually fairly gruesome - particularly one scene when people trapped in an elevator get "cooked". The film is nearly 2 hours long and I wasn't really expecting too much from it. But I really enjoyed it.

The ending is a very eerie reminder of 9/11 with the tower collapsing and the dust enveloping part of the city. :(

You can view the trailer for this film here: LINK

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, shortening the title no longer allows me to call it 'The Towerin' Inferner' like the girl in the original 'Fame' movie when she did her audition piece, and for that reason I choose not to like it.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the original Towering Inferno, and it looks great on Blu-Ray, and I think it has aged quite well.

I have ordered The Tower from Lovefilm and have been told that is it due to be delivered probably today. So, will watch it soon. Will let you know what I think when I see it.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one Amazon review for the DVD, one star only and this comment.
    "Starts off goofy with goofy characters,goofy humour and goofy grins.Goes on way too long with little or no gruesomeness and by the end you'll wish they all perish."
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I did say I would get back to you when I had watched this movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Some really great effects and action sequences. And I liked some of the characters too.

One thing though, some sequences were quite funny, and I am not sure whether they were meant to be. There again, Koreans have their ways, same as we do.

A really good enjoyable disaster movie.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    One thing though, some sequences were quite funny, and I am not sure whether they were meant to be. There again, Koreans have their ways, same as we do..

Some of the humor fell flat but there's a couple of decent laughs in it. Particularly whenever the preacher and the firefighter had a scene together. :D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    Well I did say I would get back to you when I had watched this movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Some really great effects and action sequences. And I liked some of the characters too.

One thing though, some sequences were quite funny, and I am not sure whether they were meant to be. There again, Koreans have their ways, same as we do.

A really good enjoyable disaster movie.

How close is this movie to the original? I understand the screenplay for The Towering Inferno was cobbled together from two source novels (The Tower and The Glass Inferno), so it would be interesting to know if there are any 'carryover' character from the original movie or either book in this one.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this film on Netflix Canada & i enjoyed it.The film is about 2hrs long & if you don't mind having to read English subtitles then it's worth a watch.
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I think the Towering Inferno has aged very well. The special effects all look real...because they were real! Not CGI like now
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was all right. I can't remember much, to be honest, which says it all, I think.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Towering Inferno was based on two novels - The Tower and The Glass Inferno, 20th and Warners realised they had bought rights to essentially the same story so decided to merge them and the budgets.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Towering Inferno is a classic. And THAT cast, wonderful.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tower isn't a remake of The Towering Inferno, though. Sorry for failing to catch that earlier. I thought you meant it seemed a remake.

It's one of the film's inspirations, that's for sure, but it's not a remake. It was largely inspired by a real-life non-fatal disaster: the fire at the Wooshin Golden Suites, based in a wealthy area, in 2010. The director said the film was also inspired by the Sampoong Department Store collapse during the 1990s.

Edited:

A non-graphic video of the Wooshin fire http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aa0_1285945712 Note: if you get an error message after you clicked on this link, just refresh the liveleaks video page.