Last Resort (US Pace)

AdsAds Posts: 37,037
Forum Member
the pilot is now on Hulu so I just watched it as its one of the better reviewed pilots of this year.

It was fairly enjoyable in a hokey way and worth watching for a few more episodes.

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    the pilot is now on Hulu so I just watched it as its one of the better reviewed pilots of this year.

It was fairly enjoyable in a hokey way and worth watching for a few more episodes.

I'd be surprised if it gets a second season
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can tell they spent money on it just from the opening scenes. So for that reason I say it will flop and be cut for a second season!
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    jaimesw wrote: »
    You can tell they spent money on it just from the opening scenes. So for that reason I say it will flop and be cut for a second season!

They spent money on the pilot, but won't have such a budget for special effects in run of the mill episodes. I think the next two episodes will be key - can they develop the characters and plot and make it into a gripping show, or will it quickly run out of ideas?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main concern is how they can spin the story out for a few seasons?

It was enjoyable to watch, better than I expected actually as it does show they spent a bit of money on it.

What were the ratings like for it in the US?
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    My main concern is how they can spin the story out for a few seasons?

It was enjoyable to watch, better than I expected actually as it does show they spent a bit of money on it.

What were the ratings like for it in the US?

Won't premier until Sept 27.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't premier until Sept 27.

Ah OK, that explains why I was a little surprised this morning to see it had downloaded last night :p;)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <small bump>

Started last night on ABC.

Anyone watched it yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    <small bump>

Started last night on ABC.

Anyone watched it yet?

Waiting to see how it fared in the ratings before giving it a watch.
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best pilot since last years PoI.

Its a keeper
    Forum Member
    The ratings are in and it got a lowly 2.2 rating (poor for a premiere). Methinks maybe it's not a keeper unfortunately, i'm betting it gets cancelled within 6 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it. From the pilot, it did make me interested and wonder what's going to happen next and where they go with it. I'm looking forward to the next episode!
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, don't know if it can go the distance, in fact I don't actually know where it can go as a series, a miniseries maybe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Just watched and loved this! This is the first pilot of the new crop this season that Ive really loved from start to end!

For a pilot, I thinkit does a great job, even managing to avoid all the dreaded pilot episode norms. We get to meet the characters, everyone is defined from the start, something not many pilots do, especially considering how large a cast Last resort has! The story is set up beautifully. casting is brilliant!Andre Braugher is perfect as the Captain!

The story develops and we get a brilliant location as the setting - a tropical island! And by the end of the episode, you are really left wondering which way are they going to take the story - there are so many possibilites!

Will they focus on the Government conspiracy - online sources report they will keep this in the background and focus on characters! What will they do?? Will they set up a new "home" / nation-of-sorts on the island??? Don't know where they plan to go with the series, but Im in for the rest of the ride!

Roll on episode 2!
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Did create a thread a few days ago when i first saw the pre-pilot, thought it was really good, the U.S viewers have had there say and don't like it, i thought it was good and will keep with it..... for the time being.

Thread.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1738931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was the best new show I've seen so far this season.

I'll keep watching Revolution because it's crap and I find a strange enjoyment in that.

This? I'll keep watching because it actually got me hooked straight away and has a good cast and an intriguing story.

I just hop that it doesn't get canned like Ryan's last couple of shows :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ninz39 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, don't know if it can go the distance, in fact I don't actually know where it can go as a series, a miniseries maybe.

I thought the same when I saw it. I actually kinda wished it was a mini-series so we would know it would get a proper conclusion before it's cancelled.

Not sure now if I want to continue watching it if it got such low ratings. Fed up getting into a show for it to end before they can finish the story.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    I read a tv critic's review of episodes 2 and 3. she said episode 2 isn't great but episode 3 really picks up. The problem is that with the premier's middling rating, it can't really afford a mediocre 2nd episode, otherwise nowhere near enough people will be tuning into see episode 3.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the best new show I've seen this season thus far - although that isn't too difficult. I did think it was interesting, but I'm not sure how much scope there is for a full season, let alone multiple ones. Hope it lasts, though - the more Andre Braugher is on our screens the better.
    Forum Member
    Despite the ratings i did actually watch it and i really enjoyed it. It felt a bit rushed and would definitely have benefitted from being 2 episodes, but it was still gripping and interesting. I'd agree that its the best pilot of the new season so far.

On the brightside, ABC repeated the pilot on Friday and it actually rated fairly well for a repeat (it got a 1.1 rating and just over 4 million viewers, which funnily enough beat a new episode of Fringe over on Fox). Hopefully the repeat viewers tune in to the next episode on Thursday and it sees a bit of a ratings bump.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was the best new show I've seen so far this season.

I'll keep watching Revolution because it's crap and I find a strange enjoyment in that.

This? I'll keep watching because it actually got me hooked

Every year I choose one show to watch because it is crap (Terra Nova last year) but I think Evolution is just too bad even to bother with.

I haven't quite decided what category Last Resort falls in. It was certainly the best pilot so far (which isn't saying much from this crop) but it's too early to say whether it's going to be a "hate watch", a guilty pleasure or genuinely good.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Well, I liked it, been looking forward to this one as stated in a previous thread. I'm curious to see how the series develops from here.

I just hope it survives for a full 1st season.
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Well, I liked it, been looking forward to this one as stated in a previous thread. I'm curious to see how the series develops from here.

I just hope it survives for a full 1st season.

Same here. Even if it only lasts one full season, at least they will have the opportunity to tell the full story instead of us being left hanging if it's dropped after a few episodes.

It will be very interesting to see how it pans out over the next few episodes. Will the show tell the story of them setting up a new life on the island with the newbies clashing with the islanders and the island population being broken up into factions? Will it focus on the conspiracy as to why the government fired on their own sub?

I think there is also interesting backstories to be told like what the islands background is, how did Julian come to control the island and is there more to what drove Marcus to turn against his country so quickly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know what excuse the US would have used if the Colorado had followed the suspicious orders and nuked Pakistan. Obviously, when another sub did finally do it the US could have used the "Pakistani attack" on the Colorado as an excuse, but what would they have done if the original plan worked?

Also:

I had thought at first that the whole thing was being done as a way for the President to shore up support / distract from trouble back home by getting the US into a war (given the resignations and impeachment stuff we saw on the news), but why the back channel method for the orders?

And what's the deal with the SEALs? The drinking one at Dollhouse Girl's bar was blaming himself for everything that had happened. What was their mission? How did it go wrong?
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    This? I'll keep watching because it actually got me hooked straight away and has a good cast and an intriguing story.

Yes, it worked very well. How long it can be sustained, depends on whether the next few episodes continue the great characterization and conspiracy threads. It's a really tricky balancing act.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it worked very well. How long it can be sustained, depends on whether the next few episodes continue the great characterization and conspiracy threads. It's a really tricky balancing act.
    Basically ^this^.

I thought the pilot was great, like the first half of a terrific action movie, but I just can't see them getting 22 weeks out of it, let alone more seasons... but I have a lot of faith in Shawn Ryan, hopefully he has some good stuff up his sleeve to keep things rolling...